Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Anyone on here ever run a restaurant ???

Worked in I.T my whole life but always fancied the idea of having my own restaurant (like to think I am a good cook - never poisoned anyone anyway)
    Anyway an opportunity has presented itself.
    It would mean partnering up with a friend. He has had an offer from another friend to take on a restaurant in Ipswich Town Centre.
    The plan would be to do Moroccan cuisine.. my mate is moroccan and amazing cook and has catering experience.
    No long lease so if it fucks up we could walk away in 3 months without being tied into anything.

But now I am getting cold feet e.t.c
    Still early stages of talks/planning/ideas e.t.c

Just wondered if anyone on here has any experience and advise.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone on here ever run a restaurant ???

Moroccan cuisine in Ipswich? Have you done any market research? Have you tested the food out on the locals at either a local food market or just on the streets and got any feedback? Any competition? If not, why not? Have you created a structured business plan?

It's one of the hardest business sectors to be successful in, especially when the economy is on it's arse. Good luck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone on here ever run a restaurant ???

Hey

Used to manage a dive centre/bar/restaurant. Not quite the same I know, but the bar restaurant thing was the first time for me.

Its very different from working in IT or an office - obviously. Much longer hours, less social life and to start with at least normally less money.

Its hard for sure, but its a great experience and I would do it again given the opportunity. Only I would have the benefit of experience.

If your confident your mate can handle the culinary side of things, then not much to worry about on that side. Still make sure you know what he's going to produce. It takes a while to pin down your menu, but even then its a living breathing thing.

The same with drinks. Make sure you get a good bar wo/man. It makes such a difference and will ease your stress levels no end.

Plan everything, even those things you don't think need planning. You'll always find theres something you've missed, but thats life.

Finally, be prepared for criticism and feedback. I used to get my back up real quick with negative comments and tossers who just complained all the time, but in the end you realise that they are normally right.

Ask your mates to come along and give feedback, but don't invite them on a specific date and time. If your ready for them, they tend to get the best service; just have them rock up and play it by ear. This way they get a real feel for what other punters would get and this is your best way to get the little things right as that what normally makes the difference as there not afraid to give it to you straight.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The Internet" is an acronym for "Totally Free"

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Rap runs one but it's in the US so a lot might not translate well over here. In Ipswich town center there are stalls, some of which sell food (I have had paella there). Although it's not the perfect time of the year I am sure that would be a perfect way to test your cuisine on the local workforce and get some feedback. Run a promo if they fill in a questionnaire, box stuff up so it stays warm so they can take it back to their offices etc. I'd imagine you can get a lease for a week for pretty cheap so saves you binding yourself financially for 3 months which is a long time if you have money going out but not much coming in.

Restaurants get the initial custom through people trying a new place, it's novelty. If you impress then word of mouth will go far but if you are not properly prepared (waiting times if it get's busy, properly trained staff, nice atmosphere etc.) then word of mouth could damage it too...

Best of luck though mate, it is a leap of faith but if it is what you think will make you happy then go for it. Once you make the decision there will be no room for cold feet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would love to do something like this. Been considering it with the Brother in Law for a while now.
    They live on the largest private housing estate in Europe, well it was a few years back (Inglby Barwick in Stockton near Boro). For the whole estate you have two or three pubs dotted around, a big Tesco and a load of Take away's, not forgetting a huge Veterinary surgery owed by Kate Copelands parents.

What is missing is actual restaurants (the Pubs are the only ones doing food) and even a Tea shop for all the yummy mummys. I worked out based on a small 8 table operation for a tea shop that the turnover could be in excess of £300,000 per year. Simply selling Tea, Coffee, Cakes and cold food.

It was only yesterday we were again talking about this and he is off to look at rent etc... We are a long way from putting a plan together but I am interested to see how others do it.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

People seem to have a romantic idea of owning a bar or a restaurant, usually for narcissistic reasons. Lets face it, if you were doing it to get rich you simply wouldn't entertain the idea. I think that's why most of them fail. People forget that it's long hours, 7 days a week and usually you won't turn a profit until year 2 or 3, providing you last that long.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The chap I would be doing it with has a food trailer (does some events) and the food has been well received locally. There is no competition in the area for this type of food.
    Recent years have seen Ipswich receive thousands of Foreigners including Morrocans...
    I still think I will wimp out tho.

As we could tru without risk tho (of being tied into lease) (also no work required in shop.. already kitted out)
    only loss would be time I wonder if a three month tester is in order.....

Dunno

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had two mates do it in the last few years and failed miserably after convincing all their friends it was going great. Think you get sucked into the dream of it all and while it seems a nice idea in your head there are way too many variables and the economy is the worst one of those at the moment. Eating out is one of the first things people can when they are feeling the pinch.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

3 m0nths is not long enough and what happens if the lease is not renewed after all your work dont go in on a pipe dream do the sums do the homework and if you take the plunge you will have no surprises good luck

jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody