Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Acne drug Roaccutane 'overused' says UK dermatologist

An acne drug, which it is claimed is linked to depression, is being given to a growing number of young people who don't need it, says one of the UK's top dermatologists.

Roaccutane is the most powerful drug to treat acne and has been prescribed to more than half a million people.

Campaigners say it is dangerous and can cause serious mental health problems.

"Roaccutane is grossly overused," said Doctor Tony Ch, who thinks it should be used as a last resort.

Continue reading the main story
    I've seen patients who have been to see a local dermatologist to treat four of five spots and still been offered it
    Doctor Tony ChDermatologist

"I've seen patients who have been to see a local dermatologist to treat four or five spots and still been offered it.

"If you read the guidelines it should only be used for people who have severe acne."

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is the government body responsible for licensing drugs and treatments in the UK.

Dr June Raine, who speaks for the group, insists most people respond well to the drug and some are depressed before taking the drug.

"It's been a highly effective treatment for tens of thousands of people," she said.

"Depression is linked with a severe skin condition but it tends to get worse as the condition gets worse."

Derek Jones says Roaccutane was partly to blame for the death of his son JesseTwenty-four-year-old Jesse Jones, from Dorset, took his own life last year.

He had been taking Roaccutane and his family believe the drug was partly to blame for his death.

'Self-loathing'

His father, Derek Jones, says the acne deeply affected him.

"His absolute self-loathing was because he had bad acne," he said.

"The acne was to blame in the beginning but the Roaccutane added to what happened."

Roche, the company which makes Roaccutane, says there is no cause or link between the drug and depression, or suicidal thoughts.

Figures show only one in 10,000 people will experience such serious side-effects.

More than half a million people have been prescribed Roaccutane worldwide.

Latest figures show there were nine suicides of people who were taking Roaccutane recorded between September 2010 and September 2011.

Watch the full programme, Dying for Clear Skin, on BBC Three at 21:00 GMT on 26 November.

Source

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Acne drug Roaccutane 'overused' says UK dermatologist

Not my usual kind of post but I saw the article as I was looking on the BBC website. Having been prescribed this in my late teens, and knowing a lot of members here have kids, I would say avoid at all costs. I went through a very bad time of my life whilst on this drug and can back up the claims of depression the effects of which I feel to this day although this year I seem to have sorted myself out quite a bit. This all happened when I had practically nothing to be depressed about. I did have bouts of depression before taking this but when on it the effects were severe. The drug did do the job it was supposed to but I don't think I would take it again knowing what I know now, I was not properly informed about the drug I was just told it would clear acne and at that age that was all I wanted to hear. Also worth noting not to drink when taking it, I was not aware of the seriousness of this as most drugs say that as a precaution, I drank fairly heavily (as most people that age do!).

Hope this article and personal experience come in handy if any of your kids are told about this by the GP. There was a weaker drug I was put on before this which helped initially but the acne came back, I can't recall any majorly adverse effects on that one.

Thanks to evilsatan

Bald Bouncer (26th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fully endorse the above.
    have first hand seen the effects this drug can have on normal happy go lucky people.
    Avoid this drug the consequences can be devastating.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm taking this now for acne on my back and shoulders. I don't really drink so that's okay but I've had a few nose bleeds since taking it.

Might have to stop taking it but it's definitely working.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just keep tabs on your mental state mate, you are most probably more mature (I'd say definitely as I'm about as immature as they come ) psychologically than I was as a 17-19 year old so can probably control that side of things better. Physically the worst side-effects were the dry cracked lips and dry nose with hard shit always up there and the bleeds when you try to clear it out.

Thanks to evilsatan

Ashley (26th November 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Just keep tabs on your mental state mate, you are most probably more mature (I'd say definitely as I'm about as immature as they come ) psychologically than I was as a 17-19 year old so can probably control that side of things better. Physically the worst side-effects were the dry cracked lips and dry nose with hard shit always up there and the bleeds when you try to clear it out.
    That's spot on advice I have dry cracked lips or had they seemed to have cleared slightly. I suffered from depression a few years ago but seem to be fine now.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Blistex/Blisteze do some good lip balms mate, that was the only thing that made the lips bearable some days.

Thanks to evilsatan

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by saintashley View Post
    That's spot on advice I have dry cracked lips or had they seemed to have cleared slightly. I suffered from depression a few years ago but seem to be fine now.
    If you start to feel a bit low, be very careful and go see the quack. The effects can happen further down the line, even some years after stopping the drug apparently. It has great results for acne, but just be careful mate.

Thanks to rmj2663

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rmj2663 View Post
    If you start to feel a bit low, be very careful and go see the quack. The effects can happen further down the line, even some years after stopping the drug apparently. It has great results for acne, but just be careful mate.
    Cheers mate