Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipad Mini

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ipad Mini

i agree with that, the 15 minute refund window is a great idea, would be better as half an hour but still it's very good.

I was also going to say, in the iPad vs nexus 7 debate, the iPad is a quality bit of kit with a phenomenal battery life. The Nexus is £110 less.

I think for the kids I'd buy the nexus for sure but for me it would be the iPad mini.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks to maltloaf

GTI (29th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    I think for the kids I'd buy the nexus for sure but for me it would be the iPad mini.
    Sometimes the original question gets lost in the milieu of debate.. well done for bring us back on track
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

To throw a spanner in the works, what about the Kindle Fire HD ? It's cheaper again I believe.

As Malty said, for me and iPad, for the kids something else until they are old enough to appreciate the Apple product.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I disagree.

But I have found that last year it would be 5 vs 1 in the Apple >>> Android debate. Now it's 1 >>> 5. So the thought seems to be shifting.

I don't use either tablet though. I prefer my laptop running windows. For everything else I use my phone.

Like Maltloaf said, horses for courses.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also... For me the Kindle Fire is another closed ecosystem solution. The whole reason I left Apple. So I wouldn't pick it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ipad Mini

Etch-a-sketch?
    original intel macbook black 2006, macbook air 2011, PS3, XBOX360, nintendo wii, 3ds, psp, iphone 5 32gb, itouch 16gb, Vu+duo, Samsung TAB2, various laptops Ubuntu

Thanks
    Karma Level

One of these?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Also... For me the Kindle Fire is another closed ecosystem solution. The whole reason I left Apple. So I wouldn't pick it.
    But you can root it and run it as a vanilla Android slate.. decent spec tablet for nothing, courtesy of Jeff Bezos
    Its actually quite amusing to me how Google, Amazon etc.. are hell bent on this race to the bottom. Selling tablets for below cost price to make their money on content. Apple on the other hand is able to sell hardware at a profit and content at a profit. Here's an interesting article that questions their folly.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Geko (29th November 2012),  Goldberg (29th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is plenty of money to go around though. All 3 of those companies are far too large and too rich and powerful.

I have read a lot of articles about how the nexus devices are bad for innovation and a lot that say it is good innovation. So I am undecided. Personally, I don't own a 7 inch tablet of any description but if the kids wanted one, I would choose the nexus 7. But... They use my tablets most of the time, as I rarely do. The only thing that interests me is the Nexus 4. I'd like to know what google gain from subsidising the device though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i am in the same situation - currently have ipad mini and wanna get one each for my boys (8 and 5) for christmas, both have ipod touch's and not sure if to get the mini or a nexus....

one situaton that i need asking what could make my mind up is that on all my apple devices I use the same apple ID and have automatic updates on other 3 devices so they also download what i have so only costs me once.

Can this be done on Android???

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes it can, you just create a Play account and go from there.

You can even log into your Play account and send/manage downloads on devices remotely which is cool.

2 Thanks given to Goldberg

Argyll (29th November 2012),  jimbo77 (29th November 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a text discussion today with my ex regarding what I should get them. During the conversation it became clear that SHE wants the Ipad more than the nexus so she can use it herself.

So that kind of made my mind up even more that I'm getting them the Nexus just to piss her off!
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks to Argyll

Geko (30th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ipad Mini

Good for you bud. I'm getting the wife a nexus 7. She wants to try it and have something smaller than her iPad

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ipad Mini

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I find it utterly astonashing how the youth and children of todays generation are so comfortable with technology.

4 year olds using Tablets, playing games, logging int and turning it on. What a leap forward in ability through generations.

When I was 4, erm 43 (ahem) years ago, I was still being bathed by my mother in a steel box my dad got from the local scrappy, over an old coal fire. We used to make fire with sticks and string and play stupid games outdoors.

I wonder where we'll be in another 50 years.

Sorry for hijack
    Lol, i just bought my 2 year old an ipad 4. Hes been using mine since he was 1 and he is nearing 3 so thought it was time he had his own so i can restrict the apps he has access to. As technology moves on it becomes easier to use and usable by younger and older generations. I was astonished at how proficient he was with my pad at 1.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    I had a text discussion today with my ex regarding what I should get them. During the conversation it became clear that SHE wants the Ipad more than the nexus so she can use it herself.

So that kind of made my mind up even more that I'm getting them the Nexus just to piss her off!
    Nicely done... lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

My partner has been looking at tablets since her lappy starting going on the blink. I've told her to go for the iPad mini. I was going to get myself a Kindle Paperwhite but reading this thread has drawn my attention to the Nexus 7, I think this is what I'll be going for myself.

I would prefer the iPad Mini but I'm more than happy to save money and get a Nexus as I know ultimately I'll be doing exactly the same thing on both devices.

Weird, I would recommend the iPad over the Nexus but I'm more than happy to get a Nexus for my self. Do you get me?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    My partner has been looking at tablets since her lappy starting going on the blink. I've told her to go for the iPad mini. I was going to get myself a Kindle Paperwhite but reading this thread has drawn my attention to the Nexus 7, I think this is what I'll be going for myself.

I would prefer the iPad Mini but I'm more than happy to save money and get a Nexus as I know ultimately I'll be doing exactly the same thing on both devices.

Weird, I would recommend the iPad over the Nexus but I'm more than happy to get a Nexus for my self. Do you get me?
    The Kindle Paperweight is awesome. I have one of those. I far prefer to read on a Kindle than on an LCD screen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bought the wife a Paperwhite and she loves it. It is her 3rd Kindle now and this is perfect as she often reads when we are driving long journeys.
    She is onto her second however... The first one failed to switch on after it's first charge! Credit to Amazon though, they replaced it within 24 hours.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem here is if you buy the nexus youll wish youd bought the ipad mini, and vice versa, you need to put into preference what it is that you want from your tablets. For what its worth I had a nexus now have ipad mini, I also have ipad 3, iphone 4s and a macbook pro. The iPad 3 now rarely gets used except by myself. The kids love the ipad mini especially my 7 year old daughter, its so much more comfortable in her little hands and I dont worry about it being dropped unlike the full size ipad. The nexus Battery life was poor for me, I also personally find administrating (idf you liek) the Android software a pain in the ass and dont care too much for the market either. Another thing with the ipad is I dont worry that the kids can fuck anything up by installing shite on it as there actually isnt any on the app store, sure there are some terrible apps but they are all safe. Overall I think the ipad is more Kid proof and is also better built and if anything does go wrong you know you can walk into any apple store and get a replacement there and then.

Thanks
    Karma Level

anyone considering buying a ipad mini for christmas then suggest going on Curry's website - you can order to collect in store following day after 5pm and have all models in stock - ordered myself 2 and being delivered tomorrow to watford store.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-...-criteria.html

apple still advising 2-3 week delivery

Thanks to jimbo77

blaggard (5th December 2012)  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast