Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Multivitamin tablets?

Was reading that thread about berocca - is it not just the same as taking multivitamin tabs like centrium etc?

Are the multi vitamin tabs not worth the money then?

I eat a pretty well balanced diet so am not too bothered and have never bothered taking any vitamin supplements just interested to know if it is bollocks or if it is worth spending the high prices that they seem to charge for these things?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Multivitamin tablets?

Well your avi shows your getting the right protein intake

4 Thanks given to Ashley

GTI (8th December 2012),  JonEp (8th December 2012),  littlebilly1 (2nd February 2015),  Sanj[UK] (8th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Multivitamin tablets?

Today's farming is so intensive that a lot of today's mass produced food is nutritionally poorer than it used to be. There are endless studies that show the soil our fruit and vegetables are grown is mineral deficient because of over farming.

Therefore it is important to eat as many fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. The 5 a day that is recommended is woefully short of what is really required to maintain health. Many nutritionists will tell you it should be more like 9-12 per day as a minimum.

This is usually unattainable for the average person, so it's recommended to take a good quality multi-vitamin and mineral on a daily basis to make up the difference.

However, not all vitamin and mineral supplements are created equally. You'll find most mass produced supplements, like centrum etc., who are produced by large pharmaceuticals or food producers are created cheaply and the body simply doesn't recognise them as nutrients. This usually leads to the majority of the nutrients being expelled from the body as waste without being absorbed.

If you are considering a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement then opt for a 'food state' or whole food option that is manufactured in a way that means the body recognises them as food. This means receptors in the intestines have more of a chance of recognising them as food and absorption is maximised.

Good examples of food state multis are Higher Nature's True Food Range, Nature's Own Wholefood range and Solgar's Earh Source range. They are more expensive than the others, but there's a reason why.

12 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ashley (8th December 2012),  Bald Bouncer (8th December 2012),  beerman (8th December 2012),  blaggard (8th December 2012),  chesser (13th December 2012),  Crossman (9th December 2012),  Ganty (8th December 2012),  Geko (8th December 2012),  prezzy (8th December 2012),  Roach-Rampino (13th December 2012),  Sanj[UK] (8th December 2012),  Spennyboy (13th December 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Silver is a good example of a mineral that existed all around before over farming and hence in our diet, it is a wonderful antibiotic, antifungal and antiseptic. I keep Colloidal silver to hand and it's been really useful. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

CzarJunkie (8th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Silver is a good example of a mineral that existed all around before over farming and hence in our diet, it is a wonderful antibiotic, antifungal and antiseptic. I keep Colloidal silver to hand and it's been really useful. . .
    Colloidal Silver is great antimicrobial. It's properties are proven and you'll now find many mainstream products which contain silver for this exact reason. It was used a lot in the early 20th century until modern antibiotics came into being, but we're now finding one advantage it has is that harmful bacteria and viruses can't build immunity to it.

Thanks to CzarJunkie

blaggard (8th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did anyone see the guy who started consuming colloidal silver for that reason, turned his body blue. He looked like a smurf. Apparently it's easy do and is due to silver poisoning.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Did anyone see the guy who started consuming colloidal silver for that reason, turned his body blue. He looked like a smurf. Apparently it's easy do and is due to silver poisoning.
    Its not easy to do. There have been cases of people turning grey/blue after abusing these products. If you eat enough carrots you're skin will turn a shade of orange as its the carotene.

If you abuse colloidal silver the silver will build up in your body and that can alter the colour of your skin. However, you abuse paracetamol then you die, which would you prefer?

Thanks to CzarJunkie

blaggard (8th December 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    I dont think silver is a mineral!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Its not easy to do. There have been cases of people turning grey/blue after abusing these products. If you eat enough carrots you're skin will turn a shade of orange as its the carotene.

If you abuse colloidal silver the silver will build up in your body and that can alter the colour of your skin. However, you abuse paracetamol then you die, which would you prefer?
    Yeah. He made it a daily supplement, and found he felt so good kept taking it. Even after he poisoned himself, he is in denial and still takes a large dose.

I try not to take paracetamol, as I have IBD. I also wouldn't take a colloidal silver dose daily, or eat enough carrots to turn Orange. Sensible consumption is the key.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was about to jump in about the colloidal scare stories, thanks CJ, as as for you Nibb y'old scientist you........PAH!

Actually daily Colloidal is fine, it's all about the dose, buy from a good supplier or if making your own be feckin careful!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

What is the opinion of this multivitamin? http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Ra...pr_product_top

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A few months ago I noticed my elderly 86 year old mother was looking a bit jaundiced so took her for a liver function blood test. Came back normal, and then the doctor asked me if she ate a lot of carrots. Yes she does. She has some almost every day which is what caused the slight yellow skin and eye colour. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I like to take a combination of supplements:

- Uncle Butterchurn’s Full Bore Bionuts, they taste like rotten
    wheat, but have great spleen enhancing qualities

- Beavernot’s Eggo Redemy Capsules, great for running fast and sparkly eyes

- McTavish’s Crumpled Tugdown, it comes in both dry leaf and coated
    pellet forms, I add some of the dry leaf to my egg white omelette on
    the weekends

- Dandy’s Grub Snacks, made from a Celtic recipe of beetleroot,
    ganglegrim and badger’s whiff, they are a tolerably tasty snack
    alternative when the mid morning munchies strike

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    I like to take a combination of supplements:

- Uncle Butterchurn’s Full Bore Bionuts, they taste like rotten
    wheat, but have great spleen enhancing qualities

- Beavernot’s Eggo Redemy Capsules, great for running fast and sparkly eyes

- McTavish’s Crumpled Tugdown, it comes in both dry leaf and coated
    pellet forms, I add some of the dry leaf to my egg white omelette on
    the weekends

- Dandy’s Grub Snacks, made from a Celtic recipe of beetleroot,
    ganglegrim and badger’s whiff, they are a tolerably tasty snack
    alternative when the mid morning munchies strike
    You've taken that lot from either Harry Potter or the Hobbit!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chesser View Post
    You've taken that lot from either Harry Potter or the Hobbit!
    Can't take credit for it. I was discussing (on email) multi-vitamins with a mate, whose wife was banging on that I should not need to take supplements if I ate well, and he replied with that little lot.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    What is the opinion of this multivitamin? http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Ra...pr_product_top
    Looks like it was designed by a 5 year old on Speed, It's on Amazon, and it's just for men. Looks shite. Hope this helps.
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post

I use Nature's Own and Higher Nature mate. Both very good - I am very rarely ill with colds etc. I buy from www.bodykind.com I've been using them for years and find the service, price and products excellent.

2 Thanks given to Roach-Rampino

CzarJunkie (5th January 2013),  Mobileman (14th December 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    I use Nature's Own and Higher Nature mate. Both very good - I am very rarely ill with colds etc. I buy from www.bodykind.com I've been using them for years and find the service, price and products excellent.
    I don't think you can judge the effectiveness of a vitamin supplement by how often you think you get colds, not that I'm suggesting anything negative about them.

IMHO multivitamins are okay but I think it's better to look in to what specific vitamins you may be lacking due to your lifestyle, obviously then the best solution is to change your lifestyle but failing that you can get the vitamins you need most rather than a jack of all trades multivit.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I don't think you can judge the effectiveness of a vitamin supplement by how often you think you get colds, not that I'm suggesting anything negative about them.

IMHO multivitamins are okay but I think it's better to look in to what specific vitamins you may be lacking due to your lifestyle, obviously then the best solution is to change your lifestyle but failing that you can get the vitamins you need most rather than a jack of all trades multivit.
    Fair comment and I was actually referring to the brand as opposed to the specific supplement.

You are right, supplements should be taken to suit your lifestyle. As well as 3 cups of white tea (high in antioxidants) and a minimum of 5 pints of water per day, I currently take on a daily basis:

Udos Choice Ultimate Oil Blend - a blended mix of the finest Omega 3, 6 and 9 varieties of Essential Fatty Acid sources

Enerex Organic Green Kamut Wheatgrass Juice - a superfood powder whic h is rich in organic protein, minerals, vitamins and enzymes it displays higher nutrient values than wheat grass, barley grass and spirulina.

Vitamin D capsules

Higher Nature Supergest - Digestive Enzyme & Herbal Formula - a spectrum of vegetarian enzymes to help maintain the digestive system and may aid the digestion of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, milk and cellulose.

Greens Mixed Berry - Super Food Blend - another "superfood" powder which contains the juices of the tender green leaves of organic Green Kamut, Barley and Alfalfa with Red Beet Juice powder and Spirulina Blue-Green Algae.

Higher Nature ImunoGlukan - Beta Glucan Supplement - Beta-D-Glucan from the Oyster mushroom supports healthy immunity and is ideal support during illness, over-work, after antibiotics and when sensitive to allergens.

Doctors Best Camu Camu - Vitamin C - This fruit contains one of the highest natural vitamin C contents of any food in the world. The fruit is also an extremely rich source of anthocyanins, with a particularly high level of cyanidin-3-glucoside.

Higher Nature True Food Vitamin B Complex - The B-Complex vitamins are bio-transformed and are essential for helping maintain energy throughout the body and for a healthy nervous system. True Food B Complex provides high levels of each B vitamin, plus bio-trandformed Vitamin C and Magnesium.

Doctors Best Quercetin and Bromelain - Quercetin is a potent and versatile flavonoid and phytonutrient which may help support healthy histamine levels and normal inflammatory processes in the body. Bromelain is a enzyme derived from pineapple, and one of the most efficient aids to digesting proteins, promoting their absorption and maintaining digestive health.
    It also has many other uses, including maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system and normally dispersed blood platelets. Ideal for long distance air travel. Particularly useful for older people or anyone who wants to maintain optimum digestion and absorption.

Udos Choice Super 8 Probiotic Blend - Each capsule guarantees 30 billion viable organisms of beneficial bacteria that are absolutely essential for maintaining proper digestion and helping to sustain health.

Thanks to Roach-Rampino

CzarJunkie (5th January 2013)