Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Lens / camera issue?

I have a Canon 350D and a 75-300m lens.

When I first tried the lens at a Christening, I couldn't get it to Focus. Then I tried it when my son was playing football a couple of times and it seemed fine. Recently at a School play I tried to take some photos and it was out of focus again. It looks sharp as anything in the viewfinder but the results are very blurred. The only thing I could think of is the back focus is out, and this only shows up in the dark (as the focal point is different) and is fine in the brighter light...

Would this make sense? Or is it possibly the lens? All other lenses seem fine..!

Any help appreciated. I am tempted just to buy a 600D body. But would like to resolve this issue regardless.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Lens / camera issue?

It's probably down to the low light more than anything else.
    Guessing your at 300mm rather than the 75mm end? even at 75mm your on f/4 so not that much light getting in to help focusing.
    Low light also means slow shutter speeds which increases the amount of blur either by shakey hands or moving subject.
    another issue from low light is you will be using a higher ISO so more noise and zoomed in to 100% your not going to have great looking images.

The other issue could be the focusing mode your using, one shot is not great if your subject is moving, your better to use AI servo which will rtack your subject as it moves. The issue with that is it may hunt a little with the low light and narrow apperture of your lens at 300mm.

Also im not sure but if its like the 500d and 450d's I had your centre point is a cross type the others are not which means if your using the outer points your focusing is less accurate.

To be honest the upgrade to the 600d would help mainly on the technology side, things have improved since the 350d you can push the iso more so your shutter speeds will go up but the other issues will still be there.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks to Little John

Geko (17th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried it at 75mm the issue still existed.

Basically it is a low light issue. So... If I up the shutter speed that will help? Although more likely on a newer model.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

After looking at my lens and the spec for my camera. I think I am going to get rid of it all and get myself a Nikon...

Thanks
    Karma Level

A Nikon of the same price band is going to be pretty much the same, although a newer camera will probably have some improvements on the AF front, its unlikely to solve the problem

You are using a entry level camera, with a cheap lens and that is going to have shortcomings, AF being one of them and AF in low light is always significantly worse than in good light (like the footy match).

In the case of the christening, manual focusing could well have been your best option if your distance from the subject isnt changing. Oh,and its worth noting that if you are focusing by moving the focal point off centre, the accuracy drops significantly too.

If you do change the body, go for something higher up in the product range, the 350 through to 600D are all in the same spec bracket, they are all (most probably) based on the same technology and therefore, basically the same camera. If you go a little higher and get a 60D or whatever is the current mid range body, you will see much more improvement, but bear in mind your glass will probably still be a weak link. You could probably pick up a 50D or similar pretty cheap.

Thanks to {{909}}

Geko (18th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    A Nikon of the same price band is going to be pretty much the same, although a newer camera will probably have some improvements on the AF front, its unlikely to solve the problem

You are using a entry level camera, with a cheap lens and that is going to have shortcomings, AF being one of them and AF in low light is always significantly worse than in good light (like the footy match).

In the case of the christening, manual focusing could well have been your best option if your distance from the subject isnt changing. Oh,and its worth noting that if you are focusing by moving the focal point off centre, the accuracy drops significantly too.

If you do change the body, go for something higher up in the product range, the 350 through to 600D are all in the same spec bracket, they are all (most probably) based on the same technology and therefore, basically the same camera. If you go a little higher and get a 60D or whatever is the current mid range body, you will see much more improvement, but bear in mind your glass will probably still be a weak link. You could probably pick up a 50D or similar pretty cheap.

I've changed my mind on the 600 front. Looking at a Nikon D7000. What do you think?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a step up the range which is the way to be going as I see it to be the 3rd tier of nikon bodys same as the 50/60D in the canon range ok they droped the metal body on the 60D but its very similar.

I was trying to put what 909 said in to words but just couldn't. To shoot in the conditions you were in your not talking a couple of hundred quid to get the results your talking thousands.

Even with a 1Dmk4 and f/2.8 lenses shooting stage productions isn't always easy especially if the lighting is the normal school play standards.
    Last edited by Little John; 18th December 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks to Little John

Geko (18th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Someone else used the Nikon D800 and got a great picture. I saw it on FB.

Which made me hate my Camera and the results I achieved with it. At least it's made me question the theory a little more. I have been lazy and most of my shooting had been on the Auto setting/.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Now think what he was using, its a full frame D800, so fantastic ISO performance allowing him to go acheive faster shutter speeds. AF isnt as good as the D700 but its better than the 350D what lens did he have on the frontI doubt it was an f/4-5.6? he probably wasnt using auto as well.

Thanks to Little John

Geko (19th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

A 24-70 2.8 lens, apparently.

And no, definitely not on auto.

I was looking at picking up a few lenses with the D7000. I want a prime focus lens. But was also looking at an 18-200 mm VRII lens. Was recommended to me, by the guy at work.

Although when shooting in the dark in future, I will try and set myself closer to my subject anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

not to be too negative on your ability Geko, but the guy with the D800 did have much better gear, but he also probably had alot more experience. If you bought the same camera, it wouldn't guarantee the same results

Anyway, the D7000 is a much better camera, buy it, read the manual, get some books and get the f'king thing out of auto!

Forget an 18-200 as well, stick with lenses with less range like a 24 - 70mm and 70 - 300mm. Use a lens with a range like 18-200 if you are traveling and want to save weight/bag space. I wouldnt go for a prime until you have atleast 1 decent quality zoom either, after using zooms for almost 5 years, I am only just deciding what prime I would find the most useful, although some people are quite happy with 1 prime lens and that suits them for every situation.

One more thing I will throw into the equation is have a look at mirrorless cameras before you buy the D7000. The NEX6, Fuji XE-1 and Olympus OMD are well worth a look instead of a DSLR.

Thanks to {{909}}

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

why not go for a better model Canon, the 350D is quite old now and low spec compared to modern models, dont be dicouraged by canon just because your particular model isnt doing what you want, its prob cos its not fully able to do what you want, have you looked at canons full range of EOS ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    why not go for a better model Canon, the 350D is quite old now and low spec compared to modern models, dont be dicouraged by canon just because your particular model isnt doing what you want, its prob cos its not fully able to do what you want, have you looked at canons full range of EOS ?

At first I wanted a canon because my lenses would still fit... But... The Nikons look to be in a different class. Is that right / wrong?

Thanks
    Karma Level

the competing models from differnt manufactures all have pros and cons agains each other, i dont think you can say nikon is better than canon, there both very good camera makers, you need to look at specs and see what suits you best for what your gonna shoot

Thanks to pickie

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have a decent set of lenses then stick with canon, I'm not in either of the canon or nikon camps but from reading up, canon certainly do seem to be trailing nikon, but, its not by a massive margin and certainly not by enough to consider having to buy a whole new set of lenses for. If you only had the kit lens I would say jump ship, but otherwise stay with canon.
    You really cant buy a bad DSLR, so whichever brand you choose you will get an excellent camera.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im at the wrong end of the scale but Canon have pulled a head when it comes to the pro kit the 1Dx is far better at what it is designed to do than the D4 and the D800 focusing is poor as well which is what the 5D2 had issues with but the 5D3 is awesome. Thinking about buying one as a 3rd body as the portrait stuff seems to be picking up no gotta stop these thoughts.

But yes any DSLR is good, invest in quality lenses and no matter which body you put on the back of it you should be smileing. untill you want the next body up the chain.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    A 24-70 2.8 lens, apparently.

And no, definitely not on auto.

I was looking at picking up a few lenses with the D7000. I want a prime focus lens. But was also looking at an 18-200 mm VRII lens. Was recommended to me, by the guy at work.

Although when shooting in the dark in future, I will try and set myself closer to my subject anyway.

Have you priced a 24-70 2.8? on ebay they are around £1500.
    That lens will let in a whole lot more light than the one you are using, and also will let you increase the shutter speed.
    Have you tried turning up the ISO on your current camera?

I've had a Cannon 20d, 40d and recently got the 5D mkII. The 5D II is in a league of its own compared to the other two, but I guess that's reflected in the price compared to the others..

Mick

Thanks to is0-mick

Geko (24th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sigma and Tamron both make much more affordable 24-70 2.8's, I use a Sigma and I fucking love it, although I would like the Zeiss version, its almost 3x the price.