Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wanted Guitar learning software

K, I'm after a name of any software that can teach the basics in playing the guitar. Would be nice if it was possible to connect the guitar via USB too ( I have a lead ) ? Any suggestions? I can't play a note at the mo...
    TAR seems to be a decent bloke!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Guitar learning software

"Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks to Nibb

TAR (30th December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your just starting out mate you will be better off just learning to read tablature, and then using that to learn and practice the basic chord shapes (Am, C, G etc).

From there can follow tabs for songs you want to learn and build your muscle memory and callouses that way

Its much more rewarding to hear a song you know sound right when your learning, than simply sitting playing chords and scales over and over, and as you progress you can add in barre chords, hammer ons, pull offs etc.

Also make sure you have it on a stand somewhere handy, so you can just pick it up and strum a few notes/chords, even if its only for 5mins a few times a day, repetition and frequency are key.

This is how I learnt to play (reading Dave Matthews Band, Jason Mraz and John Mayer tabs back in the day) and now I'm not an expert but if there is a tab for a song I can usually read it and be playing an acceptable version of it within minutes.

Check out http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ and if you have any questions with regards to tabs etc fire away.

Also I think blaggard is a professional guitar teacher so he would probably be the best person to comment on the proper learning methods to do it by the book.

Good luck, and don't give up - its the best thing I ever decided to put time into.

3 Thanks given to rIKmAN

Crossman (30th December 2012),  Fon (30th December 2012),  TAR (30th December 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Got it for the 360, this has whats given me the bug

Thanks rikman. I dont know how much time i can throw at t his, but i want to give it a go!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unless its been patched since I last played it, the biggest problem I found with Rocksmith (even more so for a beginner) is that when you start off it's on easy where you simply play a few notes, and you progress from there.

However, instead of telling you to play an Fm chord, but only play the A and D strings, it will tell you to place 2 fingers on the A and D strings and play them.

Then when it gets harder and you are then told to play the Fm chord, its feels twice as unnatural as your muscle memory has got used to using only 2 fingers - which might be the wrong ones but can't remember if the game tells you what fingers to use.

If you could have the full chords on from the beginning it would be much better.

Thanks
    Karma Level

2 Thanks given to BM

AD (31st December 2012),  TAR (31st December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rIKmAN View Post
    If your just starting out mate you will be better off just learning to read tablature, and then using that to learn and practice the basic chord shapes (Am, C, G etc).
    This is the best advice,

For reference I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, sax, harmonica, etc...

The real problem your have though is a bad technique. You wont be pressing the notes as they should be (like me) and your never end up being better than the bloke in the corner of the party entertaining people.

If your happy just being that bloke crack on! and keep learning new instruments. If you want to be a professional you need to have some lessons in the early days for each instrument to give you the fundamentals.

Fon

Thanks to Fon

rIKmAN (31st December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are good tuts on youtube with regards to guitar tuition

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I recently downloaded this below. Do you have a uploaded premium account. I can send you the link. If not I will write it to dual layer DVD and pop it in the post for you. Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks and sounds good. Going to start myself in the new year. (">

http://wowebook.net/2012/10/green-mo...vdcd-2005.html

Green Monster Music – Monster Guitar Method – V1 – Beginner/Novice – DVD+CD – (2005)
    Publisher: Allumination | Language: English | 2h14m | Full Scans | MP4 | ASIN: B0007XBMDO
    H264, 884.6kbps | 640×480, 30.0fps | MP4A, 163.8kbps | 48.0kHz 16bit, 2 channels | 7.1 GB

This comprehensive series gives you the knowledge of a seasoned professional while utilizing tools such as on-screen graphics, split screen viewing of right and left hand close ups with notation, color-coaxed strings, and ‘follow the bouncing ball’ style graphics. Go from zero to hero in no time! Volume 1 covers all the basics and then some. Major and minor scales, basic cords to power cords, how to read rhythmic notation and even strumming patterns. Learn how to find any note on the fretboard without the use of a chart. In no time, even beginners will be jamming 12 bar blues and playing licks.
    The Green Monster Music series is equivalent to attending music school, while allowing students to learn at their own pace and on their own schedule.

Thanks to BigBird

TAR (31st December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

NZB for Green Monster Music – Monster Guitar Method

Edit: Sorry thats v5 version not sure its the same.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks to AD

TAR (31st December 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    I recently downloaded this below. Do you have a uploaded premium account. I can send you the link. If not I will write it to dual layer DVD and pop it in the post for you. Haven't tried it myself yet but it looks and sounds good. Going to start myself in the new year. (">

http://wowebook.net/2012/10/green-mo...vdcd-2005.html

Green Monster Music – Monster Guitar Method – V1 – Beginner/Novice – DVD+CD – (2005)
    Publisher: Allumination | Language: English | 2h14m | Full Scans | MP4 | ASIN: B0007XBMDO
    H264, 884.6kbps | 640×480, 30.0fps | MP4A, 163.8kbps | 48.0kHz 16bit, 2 channels | 7.1 GB

This comprehensive series gives you the knowledge of a seasoned professional while utilizing tools such as on-screen graphics, split screen viewing of right and left hand close ups with notation, color-coaxed strings, and ‘follow the bouncing ball’ style graphics. Go from zero to hero in no time! Volume 1 covers all the basics and then some. Major and minor scales, basic cords to power cords, how to read rhythmic notation and even strumming patterns. Learn how to find any note on the fretboard without the use of a chart. In no time, even beginners will be jamming 12 bar blues and playing licks.
    The Green Monster Music series is equivalent to attending music school, while allowing students to learn at their own pace and on their own schedule.
    ''I don't have a account. You but if it's any good, I'll pay for the cost of disc/postage and etc.

I also grabbed v5 last night. The havnt tried it yet tho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been using this online free beginners course and within 3 weeks I sound like Joe Satriani (to myself anyway) although seriously, I found it well paced, theres a separate video for each stage and chord, some great tips etc. http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-00...nersCourse.php

Thanks to hotentot

liveseytowers (31st December 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not aware of any software that is much good, I've been looking since the mid 90s! Pro player since 1970 and teaching since mid 90s. A GOOD teacher is the way to go, if not then books from www.rockschool.co.uk which have accompanying complete and backing tracks are the best way forward. ALSO get The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer (easy to find) if somebody wants to learn they will, self motivation is the key as in the early stages it is a physically and mentally demanding instrument.
    Once a good way along (grade 3-4) there are various programs good for practice and new techniques, currently I'm using Jammit (www.jammit.com)
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

2 Thanks given to blaggard

liveseytowers (31st December 2012),  TAR (31st December 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been learning for a couple of years and found Rocksmith to be terrible for learning. It doesn't teach hand shape or the best way to play. You can have terrible technique and still score highly. Not a fan.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have al electric or acoustic electric I would highly recommend Guitar Rig (usual places), has hundreds of effects, styles, mics, cabs etc to play with, and a Loop Pedal built in that means you can sit and jam with/over yourself.

Lost many an hour doing this late at night with headphones on and my friend Mr MJ burning away in the ashtray lol!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    NZB for Green Monster Music – Monster Guitar Method

Edit: Sorry thats v5 version not sure its the same.
    V1 - Beginner - Novice
    V2 - Beginner - Novice
    V3 - Novice - Intermediate
    V4 - Intermediate - Advanced
    V5 - Advanced

(">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    I dont know how much time i can throw at this, but i want to give it a go!
    Little and often is better than a big learning session i have found, especially at the beginning when you need to learn muscle memory.

Be warned, you will have to put some hours in though, thats why most people give up. You don't have to have it plugged in while your practising.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I started using Rockschool books for Bass following Blaggard's recommendation and I highly rate them. I've made great progress.

Thanks to Brydo666

blaggard (1st January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brydo666 View Post
    I started using Rockschool books for Bass following Blaggard's recommendation and I highly rate them. I've made great progress.
    Good for you, just add willpower and they work. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Brydo666 (1st January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Learning the guitar is something I have wanted to do for a long time. What would the experts recommend as a fair priced start-out guitar to buy ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast