Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The 3DS Is Being Hacked, And Why This Is Good News

Definitley going to be keeping an eye on this, must say, my 3ds doesn't get much use at all, although do recommend that everyone who has one buy a copy of luigi's mansion, it's ace

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

bit more info ere

*Is this real?
    Short answer: Yes. This is a real product and will really allow you to play 3DS ROMS on your 3DS unit.

*How does this work?
    It's a tiny bit more complicated than this, but I'm dumbing it down so that everyone can understand. Basically, this is a shell for an SD card slot which tricks the 3DS into thinking that the SD card is the game cart. By putting the ROM into the SD card, and the SD card into the shell, you've essentially created a 1:1 copy of a retail game; a bootleg.

*What does that mean for the user?
    A couple things. The SD card has to be the correct size for the ROM. If you have a 2gb ROM you need a 2gb SD card, and so on. You cannot use a larger card than the ROM you're using, which also means that there's no way to store more than one ROM on the card at a time. Additionally, the save files are stored on the cart shell itself, as the spot for that is standardized. This means that if you change the ROM, the new game will see that information as a corrupted save and delete it. You'll need to back up your save files before switching ROMs, and you may need additional hardware to do so.

*Can it run homebrew?
    Nope. This won't allow you to run unsigned code. The cart is set up in such a fashion that you've created a 1:1 copy of a retail cart. That is, it's signed by Nintendo already, and that's why you can run it.

*Can it get around region blocking?
    Nope. For the same reason listed above, you'll still need to use the correct region's ROM for your hardware, and won't be able to play any ROMS of games that haven't been released in your hardware's region. You also can't modify the ROMs without stripping the Nintendo signature and thus making this method no longer work.

*But since the 3DS can't tell the difference between this and a real cart, it means Nintendo can't block it with an update, right?
    No. Nintendo can and will block this device. Currently, the 3DS can't tell the difference. However, it's just not being instructed to check the right things. There's plenty Nintendo can do to identify this device. For only one example, they can check the read speed of the cart and see that it isn't the same as an official card.

Worse, since ROMs can't be modified, Nintendo also can and will simply include the update on future game carts, making it impossible to play those games with the device since doing so would force an update that made it no longer function.

*So what will I need in order to use this to full effect?
    You'll need:
    1) The device itself
    2) One MicroSD card to standard SD card adaptor for your computer, or a USB card reader device with a MicroSD card slot.
    3) One MicroSD card of every standard 3DS ROM size - 512mb, 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB
    4) A method of getting save data off the cart, storing it for later, and putting it back on the cart (an R4i save dongle, for instance).

*Will this open any doors for better versions in the future?
    Nope. Again, because it's running 1:1 copies, and can't run any modified or unsigned code, it won't be leading to better technology on its own. It will, however, serve to motivate those that are currently working to crack that nut in two ways: First, because someone is out there getting a piece of the pie already and potentially eating their sales, and second because people will be unhappy with the complicated way this one works and demand for a proper system will increase.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry dont like this...... 1 game per card, deletes saves, No homebrew, no region unlocking.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

progress though

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep. not many people remember the original supercard that couldnt back up saves, stuck out of the bottom of the DS about an inch and needed every rom patching with specific settings before it booted. It took a long time before we had the drag n drop, slot 1 R4

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I did it. Told my mate I'd have his 3DS plus pilot wings off him for £85. Gonna pick it up on Wednesday. Will go and trade it in and grab Luigi's Mansion on Sat.

Decided to keep this info a secret from him. Does that make me a bad friend? ha ha ha ha

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just clarifies what most think you are

Thanks to AD

lithho (19th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Just clarifies what most think you are
    cheeky fucker lol

I only agreed to buy it off him last night when I went to watch the match in the pub with him... by midday today he posted a picture on FB of the 3DSXL he'd bought. I give it a week until it's sat on his pile of 'never used tech' that has his Vita and Wii U sat on the top.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds good, and I don't think the homebrew thing is a big drawback, if I got one then I'd play one game through to completion before changing it so the one game per card thing and gamesaves wouldn't be an issue either for me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are the flash cards for playing standard DS games on the 3DS reliant on particular firmware and vulnerable to updates? I wouldn't mind getting something to play my old DS roms, but given that the only 3DS games I do play are online, it wouldn't be worth me giving that part of the console up.

No biggie, just wondering

Thanks
    Karma Level

kjun, Nintendo bring firmware updates out to stop the cards working. A lot of cards such as the R4i-SDHC ones can be flashed so they will then work on the new updates. But sometimes Nintendo will bring a firmware update out that can't be sorted by flashing the card, so a new card is needed. I believe V4.5 was the last time this happened.

Thanks to dannyboy

kjun (5th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah cool ta

Thanks
    Karma Level

More info here. Plus looks like they're going for between £50 and £60 on a few sites i've seen.

- Is it one microSD per game?
    Currently yes.
    - Must the microSD card size match the game size?
    No, so long as the microSD card is larger than the rom size.
    - Can it play games from other regions?
    Currently no, however due to popular demand, we have launched an investigation into this possibility.
    - Can it play Homebrew?
    No.
    - Are saved games working? Once you take out the game is the save file kept or lost?
    We are currently working to fully support back up and restore of save data.
    - Can Nintendo block Gateway with an update?
    Anything is possible we would rather not speculate (As always, any system updates should be avoided)
    - How big are the games and what is the minimum size for the microSD card?
    Some range from 256MB to 4GB- Can you play multiplayer local and mostly online?
    Yes, but we advise not to use online features
    - Do the game keep internet capacity?
    Yes, but we advise not to use online features
    - Is it upgradable?
    Yes some aspects of the design will be upgradable.
    - Can it run normal DS roms?
    No, there are many alternative options for this.
    - Suggested Retail price?
    About $80/€65

Thanks
    Karma Level

more info from the official site :

GATEWAY 3DS UPDATE

11/07/2013
    Official opening of pre-orders !
    Gateway is please to announce start of manufacturing and the opening of pre-orders. We expect to roll out the first units to resellers within the next fortnight.
    Please pay special attention to the following critical information regarding our current software development phase.

1) Yes, we are exploit based (Yay !?) and therefore very dependent on console firmware version: Our current plan is to release for firmware version 4.5 while continuing work on a solution for 6.x + after release. (please see note below)
    2) Gateway will be shipped with 2 cards, the red Gateway shown in our video, which will handle 3ds backups, and a blue ds cart which will be used to prepare the console. ( more demo videos showing save game compatibility as well as setup procedures to follow soon )
    3) Your console can be safely updated to 4.5 by using an original title released after March 2013 till current. Please double check the update message (version) before proceeding !

Note:
    We currently have a very convenient and user friendly way to enter into our Gateway mode, while this entry point has been tested up to 6.0 we expect it to be shut off shortly after we release. We can not stress enough the importance of staying away from any further updates! ( 6.0 compatibility is only valid for our initial entry point, as stated in point (1) we currently only support firmware version 4.5 )

Thanks to {{909}}

Bald Bouncer (11th July 2013)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12