Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info XBMC 12 ‘Frodo’ Released With Early Android And Raspberry Pi Support, Download Now

XBMC is the most popular open-source media center app known to man. It’s the reason many seek to jailbreak their Apple TVs, for example, but since one has to jailbreak any Apple device in order to use such software, support for Android has been much more progressive. XBMC 12, otherwise known as ‘Frodo’, has just been released officially, and among a slew of features and improvements such as Live TV and PVR support, offers what’s being described as "initial" Android support.

Those on Android may have familiarized themselves with the XBMC Remote app, but this update is the real deal. A remote is a remote is a remote, but with this update, the vast majority of Android devices can now enjoy the full range of XBMC’s features.

But let’s not get too carried away with the Android talk. Raspberry Pi – the USB thumb-sized computer, makes for a very capable streamer, and the XBMC team is clearly provisioning for this. Costing $35, we’ve featured the Raspberry Pi here at Redmond Pie on many an occasion, and with the unceremoniously-named "Model B" supporting 1080p video, it would seem a no-brainer acquisition to any XBMC fan.

The Live TV, as implied, lets you watch Live TV, as well as check out your favorite radio stations, and features a TV guide. And the interface is exactly as it should be – minimal, clean, and easy to navigate.

The update features an all-new audio engine, supporting standards such as DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD. If you happen to be an AirPlay user, you should notice the new XBMC offers smoother, much-improved support for the Cupertino company’s wireless infrastructure. To boot, there’s also support for AirPlay audio streaming for those running Windows.

There are plenty of companies now looking to capitalize on the ever-changing set-top box market, and while XBMC has an increasing amount of competition, it has achieved something of a cult following. Indeed, it is seen by many as the de facto open source media center application one should use, and although it’s going to be a long, winding battle against some of tech’s biggest names, updates such as this won’t do its cause any harm at all.If you want to download XBMC, please point your browser to: xbmc.org/download/(via TheVerge)

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 29th January 2013 at 08:18 PM.

5 Thanks given to evilsatan

Ashley (29th January 2013),  inspectercoley (26th February 2013),  jw_2000_uk (29th January 2013),  suityou69 (16th February 2013),  {{909}} (30th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: XBMC 12 ‘Frodo’ Released With Early Android And Raspberry Pi Support, Download No

sweet, will give this a bash tomorrow.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: XBMC 12 ‘Frodo’ Released With Early Android And Raspberry Pi Support, Download No

I'm absolutely loving this. Fantastic
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Me too. 12.1 installed on main machine hooked up to tv, also on two laptops and iPhones, main database stored in mySQL so all synced. Works like a peach.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have frodo on my android set top box gbox midnight runs flawless but I have liquid blue build the 3rd party addons are amazing g
    PS3 Gamer Tag : RESiDENT-UK

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If it doesn't already exist let's maybe start a thread with our recommended addons and their repo. I use super repo mainly but it's useful to know the actual repo. Maybe a job for tomorrow.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

JONNYG (27th March 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    If it doesn't already exist let's maybe start a thread with our recommended addons and their repo. I use super repo mainly but it's useful to know the actual repo. Maybe a job for tomorrow.
    Sounds like a plan beansontoast
    I've not heard of super repo, I will have a google now......

My main plugins are
    Icefilms
    1channel
    vevo
    navi-x

I've only recently started using these two by mash2k3 but they seem to be really solid plugins

Movie25
    Freeseries

2 Thanks given to JONNYG

beansontoast (30th March 2013),  elephantsoup (27th March 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sportsdevil is a good one for live sport

2 Thanks given to Clubber Lang

beansontoast (30th March 2013),  elephantsoup (27th March 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

2 Thanks given to elephantsoup

beansontoast (30th March 2013),  bobo06 (27th March 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oneclickmoviez

Tv releases

Movie2k

Easy news

1channel

Ice films

Navi x

Mashup

What the furk

Xbmc maintenance

Mikeys karaoke

Expat tv

All available on the xbmc fusion link

Add source http://fusion.xbmchub.com now you should have access to all the best repos
    PS3 Gamer Tag : RESiDENT-UK

4 Thanks given to RESiDENT-UK

Ashley (27th March 2013),  beansontoast (30th March 2013),  elephantsoup (27th March 2013),  Mystical_2K (27th March 2013)