Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart TV

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Smart TV

The TV has packed in, tried a second hand inverter off eBay and it didn't sort it so been looking around for a new one.
    Think I've decided on the LG 47M640T - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-47lm...69200-pdt.html

It has SmartTV with built in Wifi etc and was wondering if anyone can recommend an on-demand service like Netflix or LoveFilm?

I see there's a 30 day trial for NowTV and thought I'd look at that but they don't have TV shows on there, just films and after speaking on chat with their sales they don't do 3D films either. But, it does come with a load of the Sky Movies channels.

So, do you guys use on-demand through your tellies and which do you think is best?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Smart TV

I've got both LG and Samsung Smart TVs and IMHO Samsung are way ahead in terms of implementation, App availability etc..
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky now is pretty good. The selection of films is great and if you use code xboxoffer when you sign up you get some free points and more importantly the price stays at £8.99 after the trial.

Do Samsung's have a NowTV widget then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    Sky now is pretty good. The selection of films is great and if you use code xboxoffer when you sign up you get some free points and more importantly the price stays at £8.99 after the trial.

Do Samsung's have a NowTV widget then?
    When you say Sky Now you mean NowTV or something different?
    I ask as I tried the xboxoffer and XBOXOFFER (just in case) code and it says: The voucher code provided is not valid please re-enter

*EDIT
    I just went on the NowTV forums and the offer has expired:

We're sorry to disappoint, but the Xbox Points Offer expired on 31st January 2013. You signed up for NOW TV today, which means it's too late for the offer to be applied to your account.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry yeah I meant NowTV. Shame the offers expired as its a good deal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gimme the make and model number of the old one and I'll see if I can help.

Even if you don't keep it, it might add some dollars to the fund for the new 'un.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Sugden View Post
    Gimme the make and model number of the old one and I'll see if I can help.

Even if you don't keep it, it might add some dollars to the fund for the new 'un.
    Cool, that'd be awesome .. It's an LG 37LF65.
    It started playing up by needing to be switched on and off for about 10 minutes before the screen appeared, used to get sound but no pic.
    Tried a second hand inverter off eBay and it's even worse, not got a pic on it since

Bought the new TV today .. need time to play but looks great up to now

Thanks
    Karma Level

Inverter failure is very, very common on them. You sure the eBay one works?

Can you check for 24v from the power supply to the inverter?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i'm looking at buying the same tv, and would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Sugden View Post
    Inverter failure is very, very common on them. You sure the eBay one works?

Can you check for 24v from the power supply to the inverter?
    I'll see if I can get a meter from work tomorrow and give it a test, thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    i'm looking at buying the same tv, and would be interested in your thoughts on it.
    I've never really been that into new TV's.
    I remember when I got my first flat screen LCD panel TV around 6 or 7 years ago. A TECO which apparently had a Samsung panel. I remember being very disappointed when I plugged my analogue cable box into it thinking it would look amazing, in fact I called NTL out suggesting there was a problem with the box as the picture was now all blocky (the guy must've thought I was a feckin fruitcake!).
    A short time later I left the gutterslut and rented a place of my own and got Cable HD, the picture was much better on the BBC HD test channel which was the only HD channel NTL had at the time, but not mindblowing.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I think I've got that wow factor back again.
    The picture is excellent .. I dunno why but everything looks different on it, more realistic. I watched Source Code on 4HD tonight and it looked like I was there on the train in parts, like it was being filmed with a really good camcorder or something?? Sounds retarded but it did

Setup is dead easy, just a couple of questions .. find the Wifi enter the passcode and boom (needed a software update though which took 5 mins).

I was on Facebook with my Android phone, I clicked on a YouTube video on someones status and the phone asks me if I want to view it on the telly??? I haven't even formally introduced them to each other?? I clicked yes, it displayed on the TV and I was able to control the video with my phone!!

I press a big red button on the remote marked 3D and suddenly the film turns from 2D to some kind of simulated 3D .. at this point I almost had a raging stiffy .. it's feckin witchcraft I tell ya.

For me, it's like a whole new era .. and I think proves I'm becoming an old fart.

I'm sure there are better out there, but for the money I think it's excellent.
    I bought it from Currys for £699 (there is a £649 version too but you need a dongle to use wifi which is about £45 so basically almost same price).

I did find the £699 one for £649 at Pixmania with free delivery but I aint got that kinda wonga to splash around and had to get it on the Buy Now pay in 6 months never never.

The other thing was that although it's a 47" and my old one was a 37" it is exactly the same height and only 5 inches longer??

Thanks to AspectUK

tronads (4th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Keep your receipt safe.

It's highly likely the set will go wrong in a couple of years. Many do. If you can prove when and where you bought it, you should be able to claim against the retailer under The Sale of Goods Act when it blobs.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Im upgrading, or perhaps side-grading from a Panasonic Plasma, which is being moved to the back room, so will be interesting to see how they compare.
    I am hard wiring it network wise, so maybe I should consider the 620t instead, if thats the only difference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Recently got an 8 Series Samsung and it is fantastic! We use Acetrax a lot (Streaming Movie Service) as a Samsung Bluray player we bought came with £50 Credit.
    It finds my NAS drive on the network and streams all of the files nicely (even 3D) and I use the web browser to watch the footy from one of the streaming sites and that work very well also!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have that LG and it is very nice. It's light, thin, love the tiny bezel and Netflix and PLEX client are well used. I also play 3D MKVs off a USB hard drive that is plugged into it The screen is soooo sharp and bright it's a joy to watch or play games on. 3D gaming and movies are good but I didn't really buy it for the 3D as it tends to give me headaches.

The wifi is a good addition too. Why so few sets have wifi is beyond me. It's not like it would add much to the manufacturing price!

My Panasonic 42" has been retired to the bedroom now and I bought a Roku to make that like a smart tv. I can't believe I paid almost £2k for the Panny plasma and managed to get the LG for £750 from PC World with the managers discount lol

Oh - and it links to my Onkyo amp so I can control the amp volume with the TV remote like panasonics q-link or whatever it's called.

The built in plex client is very good too. Much better than using the PS3 or XBox to stream my media.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    I have that LG and it is very nice. It's light, thin, love the tiny bezel and Netflix and PLEX client are well used. I also play 3D MKVs off a USB hard drive that is plugged into it The screen is soooo sharp and bright it's a joy to watch or play games on. 3D gaming and movies are good but I didn't really buy it for the 3D as it tends to give me headaches.

The wifi is a good addition too. Why so few sets have wifi is beyond me. It's not like it would add much to the manufacturing price!

My Panasonic 42" has been retired to the bedroom now and I bought a Roku to make that like a smart tv. I can't believe I paid almost £2k for the Panny plasma and managed to get the LG for £750 from PC World with the managers discount lol

Oh - and it links to my Onkyo amp so I can control the amp volume with the TV remote like panasonics q-link or whatever it's called.

The built in plex client is very good too. Much better than using the PS3 or XBox to stream my media.
    I work for an av distributer, we sell the high end samsung and panasonic screens as well as Loewe, i will try and take some pics of our demo room, got the 103" panny set up at the moment.

didnt realise there was such an interest in av stuff on the forum, i got a few members stuff cheap over the years.
    ive got a samsung ue55es7000 slightly dmaged but works, cant complain paid £200 for it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Recently got an 8 Series Samsung and it is fantastic! We use Acetrax a lot (Streaming Movie Service) as a Samsung Bluray player we bought came with £50 Credit.
    It finds my NAS drive on the network and streams all of the files nicely (even 3D) and I use the web browser to watch the footy from one of the streaming sites and that work very well also!
    which site do you use for the footy pls - want to give this a go with mine ;0)

cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Omfgstreams.com

Make sure you only get a week pass at first to make sure it's for you. Also make sure you do it early! It can take them 24 hours to activate.

Finally, it's a subscription system. I contacted the payment company to make sure they didn't take them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In addition, when you goto the streams page, on the series 8 you won't see the image until you press the full screen button on the player.
    If needed I can upload a video

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LG 47LM640T order placed this morning.
    Got it for £649 from Pixmania with free delivery, and £16 quidco has tracked.
    When the confirmation email arrived, it said it will be being supplied and delivered by Currys..."a pixmania partner".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast