Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Sex accused 'should get anonymity'

Suspects in sex cases should have their identities protected until they are convicted, a senior lawyer has said.

When a defendant is convicted "everything should be
    open" says Maura McGowan

Maura McGowan QC, chairman of the Bar Council of England and Wales, said defendants should get the same right to anonymity as complainants.

She wants the change because sexual allegations carry "such a stigma".

But the charity Rape Crisis said anonymity for defendants would discourage people from reporting sex crimes and "victimise victims further".

Ms McGowan told the Stephen Nolan Show on BBC Radio 5 live: "Until they have been proven to have done something as awful as this, I think there is a strong argument in cases of this sort - because they carry such stigma with them - to maintain the defendant's anonymity.

"But once the defendant is convicted then of course everything should be open to scrutiny and to the public."

Jo Wood, of the charity Rape Crisis, said it would "never condone" anonymity for defendants in sex cases.

"There are so many barriers to victims reporting sexual violence," she said.

"Hiding the name of their perpetrator is just one more way to victimise victims further."

Ms McGowan said there were arguments on both sides. When anonymity had been accorded to defendants before "there was a sense that perhaps it was affording too much protection to people. There is obviously a public interest in open justice - people would say they're entitled to know not simply who's convicted, but who's been accused."

In cases like that of Jimmy Savile, she added, it might be that "if one complainant comes forward against a person, it might give other people who don't know her - but who went through the same experience - the courage to come forward as well."

Also on the show, Terry Harrison, who was falsely accused of rape five years ago, said: "I contemplated taking my own life on a couple of occasions, I was on the Middlesbrough bridge, I couldn't believe what was happening.

'I'm still judged'

"If a person has done such a heinous crime then they should be named and shamed, I agree - but not until they have been done for it.

"I was guilty until I was proven innocent and even when I was proven innocent I'm still getting judged."

But Jill Saward, campaigner for victims' rights and a rape victim herself, said: "When you have anonymity for a rapist or potential rapist, you protect him, you make him what people believe to be a safe person to be with."

The treatment of those involved in sex cases has gained attention recently following the apparent suicide of Frances Andrade, 48, after giving evidence at the trial of Michael Brewer.

Plans to restore anonymity to rape defendants were included in the 2010 coalition agreement but the scheme was dropped later that year. Ministers said there was "not enough evidence" to justify the move.

Anonymity was granted to rape defendants under the 1976 Sexual Offences Act but removed in 1988.

BBC News

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sex accused 'should get anonymity'

Big Savvers couldnt give a fuck but, Theres a big difference, between accused, arrested, convicted and prosecuted . So with Peadogeddon and the proles love of reading and ruining a persons career and life over the first step, Of course it should.

Disgrace it was abolished in the first place tbh.

'Thought police' in Britain will not let it happen thou. The ultimate framer and weapon for them.
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

5 Thanks given to DelTrotter

AD (17th February 2013),  Bald Bouncer (17th February 2013),  CzarJunkie (18th February 2013),  Mr Men (17th February 2013),  Tim.Lad (17th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anonymity was granted to rape defendants under the 1976 Sexual Offences Act but removed in 1988.
    The only people benefitting from this were the press and some agencies trying to justify their existance by alarmist headlines.

How can anyone expect to get a neutral jury in court if months before the accused has been demonised in the press ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks to 4me2

AD (17th February 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

One of the biggest iniquities in the British 'Justice' system and the sooner both parties are given anonymity the better.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

AD (17th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

She must have heard me saying that...

I've been saying it for ages. In most cases the fact the person is guilty or not is irrelavant. The persons family and friends will be branded as a result.

Most recently the bloke from It's A Knockout.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Look what happened to Matthew Kelly. He was never charged, but accusations completely destroyed his career.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    Look what happened to Matthew Kelly. He was never charged, but accusations completely destroyed his career.
    Very true Theres no smoke without fire

Just look at Jimmy Saville and the mess he left behind

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jimmy had the BBC to cover his tracks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    His career was never the same but arguably better, instead of fluff he has done some very good and critically acclaimed serious acting.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

flumperino (17th February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's too one sided to 'protect' those who make the allegations. It should apply to both parties. Who's to say that because it's currently the way it is, some people haven't simply made up an allegation to get at someone out of spite/ revenge etc. even knowing it's not enough to get past the CPS because they will get named by the press - damage done.

It's hypocritical to say we live by innocence till proven guilty with laws like this.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

The thing that gets me, is the accused is put out to slaughter by the press (Guilty or not) and the accuser is protected by law. Now if the accused is found not guilty why isnt the name published of the false accuser?

Stinks to high heaven.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Men View Post
    Very true Theres no smoke without fire

Just look at Jimmy Saville and the mess he left behind
    Thing with Jimmy Saville, is he's dead. So who is being made to suffer? His friends and family who are more likely innocent.

DJ OD