Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Decided to ditch TV Licencing

I realised a while ago that out of habit, I turn my TV and it just ends up being background noise, until I mute it and then it's just a glorified screen saver. Anyway, decided times are tough and money's short so I've removed all gear that can receive live tv (even cut the coax cable end off and tucked it away). I still have a blu-ray player into the TV and that has internet TV/ media player connection and another tv as an extended desktop for my lappy and that's it.

All I seem to watch or read these days is online, I don't even watch catchup tv etc. usually youtube documentaries and such.

I've had a letter about my payments being behind because I'm not going to pay for something I don't use. Just waiting on a 'visit' now lol.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Decided to ditch TV Licencing

be interested to see how you get on, when i was using sickbeard etc was getting all my shows ahead of uk so was like you wating them all from download via tv

Thanks
    Karma Level

Watch out mate - I believe the law says if you are in possession of equipment capable of receiving the signal you are liable.

Only successful case I've ever heard of was one guy who only watched sky, years before they started carrying bbc. He physically removed the tuner circuit from his telly, and still had to fight his case in court to win.

With the availability of bbc content online, you would probably have to have no pc's in the house as well as no tuner circuits in order to pull that off today.

Thanks to Over Carl

JonEp (2nd April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Watch out mate - I believe the law says if you are in possession of equipment capable of receiving the signal you are liable.

Only successful case I've ever heard of was one guy who only watched sky, years before they started carrying bbc. He physically removed the tuner circuit from his telly, and still had to fight his case in court to win.

With the availability of bbc content online, you would probably have to have no pc's in the house as well as no tuner circuits in order to pull that off today.
    I've done some swatting up mate, and this:
    The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.
    From HERE
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks to burner1

Over Carl (2nd April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Thats properganda bollox,

Your only breaking the law if you actually watch or record live, or nearly live tv

When they come to visit dont let them in, you are under no obligation to do so.

Fon

Thanks
    Karma Level

I haven't moved into my new place yet and they are already giving me grief. I need to prove to them I am not watching TV apparently.

I even had to meet the council at the place to show them it was inhabitable. But I made that effort as it was worth almost 1K.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I need to prove to them I am not watching TV .
    No you dont, they have the same rights as a postman, IE they are allowed to approach your front door and knock on it.

They are employed as salesman, nothing else.

Look up "implied right of access"

Fon

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post

Your only breaking the law if you actually watch or record live, or nearly live tv

Fon
    Look the case and relevant legislation up yourself if you are interested.

True you don't have to let them in, but they can then apply for warrant and you will then have no choice. (I never had warrants served on my student properties when we failed to let them in though).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Carl, iv never payed for a tv licence and im nearly 40 years old.

I know this law inside out mate,

Fon

Thanks
    Karma Level

No you dont, they have the same rights as a postman, IE they are allowed to approach your front door and knock on it.

They are employed as salesman, nothing else.

Look up "implied right of access"

Fon

Yeah. Part of me wants to be difficult, but I don't actually have any carpet or furniture, let alone a TV. So I am happy to let them in. But I'm not making a special effort to contact them or be in waiting for them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fon
    I know mate, and if it wasn't for my goody goody neighbour downstairs who would let anyone in with a piece of printed ID off the internet then I wouldn't. I imagine if I don't, they'll continue to come round (even if I remove implied right of access as they don't seem to listen to that apparently) and if they keep coming round when I'm not in, neighbour will take a shitty on and phone the landlord so I'll end up with them on my back.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Even if they come round, if your not watching or recording live, or nearly live tv, you are not breaking the law!

Fon

Thanks to Fon

burner1 (2nd April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Even if they come round, if your not watching or recording live, or nearly live tv, you are not breaking the law!

Fon
    That's why I'll let them in mate, I've nothing fitted up to receive anything more than lovefilm, netflix, youtube etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Aye, but the sad part is you have felt obliged to cut cables and destroy stuff in your house,

Purely due to their vile properganda, and meaningless threats...

I feel that people need educating against these scum.

If they didn't try to intimidate people so much, I wouldn't have so much of a problem, but they have brought this response from me, against themselves....

Fon

Thanks
    Karma Level

They visited my mate and he just told them he didn't watch live tv. Only catch up on iplayer as he had his computer plugged in but no freeview/sky connected.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not sure who is more annoying the TV licence idiots or the morons shouting at them...!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I'm not sure who is more annoying the TV licence idiots or the morons shouting at them...!
    I've watched loads of those on YT mate, and tbh, I can understand people starting to get ratty and shouting at them after probably numerous visits etc. It's the assumption of guilt over innocence and the lies TVL tell people that's the problem.

Most vids I've watched have the TVL bods saying 'if you have a TV, you need a licence'.. now, technically, they are breaking criminal law by trying to obtain money by deception.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A friend of mine has done the exact same thing.... he had a visit fromthe TV Lic people.. first visit was someone who didnt really know what to do so he must have got a supervisor e.t.c to visit.
    He was actually a decent bloke and suggested that my mate solder up the coaxial input on his TV a bit for future visits. He did .. they used to check his TV every few months for the first year...
    Now they have left him alone..
    He just put a few blobs of solder in the hole so he could demonstrate a cable could not plug into it... even though technically he could connect a STB via scart lol
    They just seem to bother about the aeriel socket for some reason (maybe that is the way the law regarding TV lics was originally written/enforced)

Just me 2p..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    A friend of mine has done the exact same thing.... he had a visit fromthe TV Lic people.. first visit was someone who didnt really know what to do so he must have got a supervisor e.t.c to visit.
    He was actually a decent bloke and suggested that my mate solder up the coaxial input on his TV a bit for future visits. He did .. they used to check his TV every few months for the first year...
    Now they have left him alone..
    He just put a few blobs of solder in the hole so he could demonstrate a cable could not plug into it... even though technically he could connect a STB via scart lol
    They just seem to bother about the aeriel socket for some reason (maybe that is the way the law regarding TV lics was originally written/enforced)

Just me 2p..
    They can sod off if they suggest that to me mate. I could see that devaluing any price I could get for my own property should I wish to sell it at some point in the future.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast