Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info How To Check If Your iPhone Or Android Device Is Factory Unlocked Or Not

One of the perceived downsides of the smartphone industry is the monopolization of devices through carrier locking. At point of sale and when you sign up to a contract with a carrier, it’s understandable, but thereafter, getting a handset unlocked can be a trying, if not impossible process. If you want to check whether your device is unlocked for use on any network, a nifty online service completely has your back, and not only is the website incredibly easy to use, but if you’re on Android, there’s also an app available to download over at the Google Play Store. More details after the break.

There are many reasons why you may want to check whether your device is unlocked. It might just be that you’re curious, and wish to know that if you wanted to switch over to a different carrier, you could do so with minimal fuss. Alternatively, you may be looking to stick your handset on eBay, in which case, you would want to know whether the device was tied down or unlocked so you could accurately notify the prospective buyer. Also, as we know, unlocked devices are more valuable, and if every smartphone were unlocked forever, the world would be a better place.

IMEI.info’s service, as you might have guessed, requires your device’s unique, 15 digit IMEI number in order to work, and once you’ve typed in your magic combination, you’re taken to a page with all sorts of useful information. As well as being able to find out whether your device is unlocked, it will also tell you when your device was released, what type of SIM card it uses, as well as a bunch of hardware specifications.

How to check if your device is locked or unlocked

Step 1: Point your browser to IMEI.info and enter your device IMEI number in the dialog box as shown in the screenshot. You can check your device’s IMEI number by dialing *#06# from the phone app. Once entered, hit the Check button.

Step 2: You’ll be taken to a new screen with a bunch of your device information, click on the SIMLOCK & WARRANTY button as shown in the screenshot. This process can take up to a couple of minutes, so be patient.

Step 3: Once the process is complete, you’ll get all info on which network the device belongs to and whether it’s SIM unlocked or not.

As a supplement to the service on the IMEI.info website, there’s also a an app available to Android users over at the Google Play Store. It provides essentially the same features in a clean, mobile-friendly user interface, and is absolutely free to download and use.

So, if you’re thinking of selling your smartphone, or simply want to be better informed of your device, please head over to IMEI.info from your browser or, if you’re on Android, simply download the app from the link given below. Also, bear in mind that this service works for a bunch of different devices, which means you can check whether or not your Windows Phonedevice is factory unlocked or not, which is a big golden point.

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 4th April 2013 at 09:44 AM.

5 Thanks given to evilsatan

blaggard (4th April 2013),  ilscuro (4th April 2013),  raelmadrid (4th April 2013),  Raptor (28th March 2015),  WRATH OF BOD (4th April 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How To Check If Your iPhone Or Android Device Is Factory Unlocked Or Not

I thought this sounded awesome but I have just tried it and it is still 'checking' my simlock status. Perhaps others will get a result.

EDIT

Turns out in Chrome you have to manually refresh the page:

Code:
    IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Model: iPhone 5
    Activated: Yes
    Telephone Technical Support: Expired
    Repairs and Service Coverage: 20.09.2013
    Purchase Date: 20.09.2012
    Contract Until: 20.09.2014
    Blacklist Korea Networks: No
    Blacklist Australia Networks: 
    Blacklist Japan Networks: No
    Blacklist Telenor (Sweden): No
    Carrier: Buy carrier check!
    SIM lock: Unknown
    Mine is locked to O2. I will sticky this if it works for others, please post feedback!
    Last edited by evilsatan; 4th April 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks to evilsatan

raelmadrid (4th April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How To Check If Your iPhone Or Android Device Is Factory Unlocked Or Not

used this site a year or so ago pretty good results not always 100% though

Thanks to Mobileman

evilsatan (4th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

nice, bookmarked

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll try this on my Xperia arriving later. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just checked my Google Nexus S and it thinks that my phone is a Siemens A65.
    Work ipHone 4s came up correct

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

App on my S3 just tells me what phone it is when checking IMEI.
    Clicking more info button opens a browser with a web page showing detailed info on the S3. No lock/unlock info anywhere.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im not getting the option to check my simlock status on any of my phones? it gives me the correct product information but the box marked simlock and warranty on the pics above does not appear for me - I've registered on the site and that's made no difference.. maybe the free sim check is only for iPhones as I'm trying to check an xperia and an s3.

Thanks
    Karma Level

my 3Gs is unKnown

IMEI:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Model:
    Device has been replaced: Yes
    Activated:
    Telephone Technical Support:
    Repairs and Service Coverage:
    Purchase Date:
    Contract Until: Unknown
    Blacklist Korea Networks:
    Blacklist Australia Networks:
    Blacklist Japan Networks: No
    Blacklist Telenor (Sweden): No
    Carrier: Buy carrier check!
    SIM lock: Unknown
    Last edited by evilsatan; 4th April 2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Removed hotlink which contained IMEI

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are copy/pasting into the thread just make sure you kill the hotlink as it contains your IMEI, removed yours for you BOD

Thanks to evilsatan

WRATH OF BOD (4th April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This got my 4S right but my new Xperia cam up as a very old Samsung so I guess their database is not updated very often. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the info

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MoNkFiSh View Post
    Im not getting the option to check my simlock status on any of my phones? it gives me the correct product information but the box marked simlock and warranty on the pics above does not appear for me - I've registered on the site and that's made no difference.. maybe the free sim check is only for iPhones as I'm trying to check an xperia and an s3.
    Got the same here for my S3. You manage to get an answer ? Tried it from the phone as well in case that was the issue.