Close

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nds/Sky rolling out their new card pairing method

also i think with a lot of plug and play boxes out there eith people selling them with all the goods pre loaded has ruined things, altho i brougy a skyboxf5 i chose not to buy it pre loaded, had fun researching how to configure entering the nline etc cos wen things go wrong i can fix myself, people are selling subs on ebay now thats just fucking blatent

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just found this with a quick google. Just someone chucking a few ideas about, but this is the line of thinking I was following -

The introduction of new, inexpensive IPTV set top boxes has presented the TV pirates with yet another opportunity and introduced a completely new approach to illegally distributing subscription televison channels. They are circumventing the broadcaster's encryption (picture scrambling) altogether.The TV pirates achieve this by using the internet, not to deliver the encryption key to the satellite receivers as they did with the illegal card sharing schemes, but to deliver (re-broadcast) the complete, unscrambled picture to the set top box.
    The pirates set up a satellite dish to receive the TV channel(s) that they want to distribute to the set top boxes. If they want to illegaly distribute encrypted subscription channels, they must first obtain an account with the broadcaster to obtain one of their satellite receivers, the smart card and encryption key. This entitles the account holder to single-user access to the subscription channels.
    The pirate uses the satellite receiver to unscramble the TV picture which is fed into a server where it is converted into a data stream and compressed. This is fed into a second server which distibutes it to the pirate's set top boxes.
    Alternatively, the TV pirate can buy these services off-the-shelf with little if any monetary investment in equipment or, expertise.
    I have spoken to a number of companies in the last week and I have learned that they have all had recent enquiries from Cyprus. Some of them have sent samples and others have delivered product so, it seems that over the next couple of weeks, this type of service will be being offered by a number of individuals/companies some of whom, are already involved in card sharing TV piracy.
    I have spoken to three suppliers of set top boxes who are also offering the additional equipment and/or, services that are needed to set up an end-to-end solution quite simply. The set top boxes cost between $50 and $75 dollars plus delivery and the service costs 30 Euros per month.
    Interestingly, the suppliers of the set top boxes say that they will not supply individuals or, companies, who are illegally pirating subscription TV channels. I doubt that they are policing this policy however, because several companies are already offering their users illegal access to Sky Movies, Sky Sports and other subscription channels.
    Offering users the facility to watch subscription channels without an official account and without paying the broadcaster is illegal and attracts the immediate attention of the official broadcaster.

I used to work as an IPTV engineer for a very large company. We had a few 1000 boxes on the patch running over an internal Vlan. We had 24 sky cards in 24 boxes that all ran from the same dish over a mile away (across fibre). We then sent them round the whole patch so that the people who subscribed could view any of these 24 channels. It was a nightmare getting the contracts signed with $KY. They were very untrusting...! We tried to negotiate a price for the system so that we could make a profit on the side of it. $KY wouldn't have it...! So we ended up having to let them know of anyone who wanted to be supplied with the channels and sending their money direct to sky.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Definitely IPTV is much more secure if done by the broadcaster, as on the case you describe (at the end they "owned" the service you setup). We see since 2-3 years some "large" IPTV offers now with arabic packages.

"Home IPTV" is a way more and more people go, you can see the Slingbox (http://www.slingbox.com/) or even the new services the operartors are giving (often for free) to watch the channels you subscribe on your iPad or iPhone, or even Android device. There is also the "IPTV home made" that the VU+ Solo2 can do (with compression) or other Linux boxes allow also (without compression if you don't use an external device to compress such as the plugin/software from www.enigma-tv.com).

IPTV is wished by the Operators to control the content up to the customers (as they have a return channel, that is not possible with the satellite broadcast and so is more easy to circumvent), customers need it to increase their ways to consume the content, so definitely this is an extra service that cannot be pirated easily. Encryption was simple to pirate, the extra services are definitely improving (finally) the service giving it more value for the operator customers.

TS

6 Thanks given to toysoft

Ashley (14th April 2013),  macmilm (14th April 2013),  mc.dodd (14th April 2013),  Over Carl (14th April 2013),  rusty (14th April 2013),  tips (14th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember years ago I had a flat that wasn't connected to Cable, and I wasn't allowed a dish on the building.

I opted for Homechoice at the time, a fairly basic, but perfectly good iptv system. I basically paid for a 2mb DSL line, and they added 2mb on for the TV. I was actually very happy with it for a while. Then OnDigital came along and I had a new toy

Not long after than Homechoice sold out to Tiscali TV and AFAIK it went to shit.

Streaming IPTV is fine, legally or not, but if not then it's pretty damn easy to trace, block and take down. The set top boxes are only very basic devices, so will be cheap. Your service will cost you and will potentially chew up your DSL if you are wanting a lot of HD stuff.

Broadcast TV will soon be a thing of the past IMO anyway... Only sporting events and news will be left. Everything else is on demand.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Not long after than Homechoice sold out to Tiscali TV and AFAIK it went to shit.
    DJ OD
    Totally agree. Homechoice when in first came out in 2000/01 was an excellent alterantive to cable in London (though the boxes use to get hot) and went down hill as soon as Tiscali took over.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tiscali was a shit BT off shoot that had the Customer Service of a slug covered in salt.... I got them to agree to let me out of contract as my service was so shit it was unusable, and then a few months later they tried to charge me for the in contract months that were left... I offered to go to court and even got a date (as I had emails proving what they agreed)... then they said oops and backed down... cunts !

Thanks
    Karma Level

As an after thought... Homechoice, which became, tiscali, which became talk talk TV went so badly to shit that last time I checked they still supplied existing customers but were not and had no plans to take new subscribers...
    AFAIK they dont exist anymore !!! not 100% on that !!

How to take a decent company and fuck it aye!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    As an after thought... Homechoice, which became, tiscali, which became talk talk TV went so badly to shit that last time I checked they still supplied existing customers but were not and had no plans to take new subscribers...
    AFAIK they dont exist anymore !!! not 100% on that !!

How to take a decent company and fuck it aye!
    Talk talk only offer youview to new customers ATM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by eblaster101 View Post
    Plug1 is correct, if there are enough cards in the system the server will always respond in good time. RAM and CPU really dont matter with this. 1ghz atom does the job. 1 sly card can serve about 9x different channels at one given time. But if its the same channel it can do it all day long for a thousand people with decent bandwidth.

Regarding the pairing, I believe it will only effect HD channels. Sky are giving Thompson box owners a free upgrade forcing the new pairing system for HD users. BUT if you have an SD multiroom box I don't think they can do much.

Toysoft is very knowledgeable and makes his own custom images for linux boxes. It saddens me what DF has turned into. Someone makes a knowledgeable first post yet he is slated for not introducing himself. It was not always like this toysoft. I apologise on behalf of the site.
    I've been here years and never made an intro . Considering the subject matter of many posts why would you . This site was full of techies years ago - none cared about intros etc as I recall - Its a a little different these days to say the least. Df is still great though don't get me wrong

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by raelmadrid View Post
    revealed to who exactly lol

Their own mob it seems!

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

raelmadrid (15th April 2013),  slain (15th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

i read on a forum earlier that they are rolling a big update out in june

Thanks
    Karma Level

They are phasing out the Thomson SKY+ boxes, as these are "dead" due to the chipset hacked. They try to move subscribers to the Amstrad boxes, to be able to apply a new hardware pairing.

TS

3 Thanks given to toysoft

Ashley (21st April 2013),  macmilm (21st April 2013),  rookie (21st April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have read a few posts claiming the hardware pairing has already been hacked but I have no proof either way...
    Dont see it being that simple myself but I am sure most of you guys are more in the know than me..

For now it is still mostly working and I cant see them forcing box changes completely in less than 6 months imho

Thanks
    Karma Level

This always used to be a hobby. A satellite would be open. We'd all move our dishes and update the software. Watch it for a bit. Then they would catch up and change the encryption. We'd then wait for the next one to open up. Move the dish, and change the software etc.

The way it's done now, ie. CS. Has been going for a very long time. People are taking it for granted and will be very disappointed when it's gone. But... Ultimately it is theft. Although so are the subscription charges . I think it's about time they caught up and cleaned up the leeches, to be honest. Too many people selling at car boots, computer fairs and on the interweb. I think it needs to be a bit more complicated again, to keep the pros away.

I definitely don't think it's been opened up yet. And I don't think it will be easy. Hopefully something else will pop up. But I personally watch very little TV besides sport.

Thanks to Geko

rookie (21st April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

sly is a luxury i could never ever afford as i say just enjoy it till it lasts, i do agree now its to easy for people to by plug and play boxes, everyones jumped on the. bandwagon i dont blamme sky at all

Thanks to rookie

Geko (21st April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    This always used to be a hobby. A satellite would be open. We'd all move our dishes and update the software. Watch it for a bit. Then they would catch up and change the encryption. We'd then wait for the next one to open up. Move the dish, and change the software etc.

The way it's done now, ie. CS. Has been going for a very long time. People are taking it for granted and will be very disappointed when it's gone. But... Ultimately it is theft. Although so are the subscription charges . I think it's about time they caught up and cleaned up the leeches, to be honest. Too many people selling at car boots, computer fairs and on the interweb. I think it needs to be a bit more complicated again, to keep the pros away.

I definitely don't think it's been opened up yet. And I don't think it will be easy. Hopefully something else will pop up. But I personally watch very little TV besides sport.
    I know what you mean.. personally I watch a bit of Sky1(106) and a lot of CI(553) and that is it full stop...
    If sky gave the option of 2 channels I would pay them.. I dont want to pay for 40+ shit channels I will never watch...
    Granted the Mrs and kids might watch a couple more but the grand total is still under 6 or 7 channels...
    Not the massive packages of shite you are forced to pay for to watch what you actually want..

Dont get me started on the BBC !!! never watch their bollox...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    I know what you mean.. personally I watch a bit of Sky1(106) and a lot of CI(553) and that is it full stop...
    If sky gave the option of 2 channels I would pay them.. I dont want to pay for 40+ shit channels I will never watch...
    Granted the Mrs and kids might watch a couple more but the grand total is still under 6 or 7 channels...
    Not the massive packages of shite you are forced to pay for to watch what you actually want..

Dont get me started on the BBC !!! never watch their bollox...
    I'm similar to you I like documentary channels but mainly watch American series I've been recommended on here via Xbmc.

I like sports in the pub and we don't watch soaps.

That's why things like Netflix have taken off so much as you control the programming.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Couple of points, first quote "Too many people selling at car boots, computer fairs and on the interweb. I think it needs to be a bit more complicated again, to keep the pros away"
    While I agree with these sentiments unfortunately I fear the opposite may happen. Very large payservers who make a fortune from stealing and selling "shares" could be the only ones able to afford the hack if it does come.
    Second quote "Dont get me started on the BBC !!! never watch their bollox..." Well actually I would like to hear why you don't like the BBC, I admit we are all forced to pay a license fee but at least they do make programs.
    James Murdoch is on record as saying "all they are interested in is making money", in the process they have outbid everyone to monopolise most sports, created the premiership full of overpaid sometimes biting brats.
    When did they make a drama or documentary ? all they do is repeat others including a lot of excellent BBC programs and pad them out with adverts.
    How have we allowed them to get away with this? I can understand ITV and similar commercial companies having adverts because this is how they finance their business, but to charge a subscription then use it to shower the poor old viewer with endless adverts is taking the piss.

3 Thanks given to crabber

Evor (22nd April 2013),  Lou_smorals (22nd April 2013),  Northernbloke (22nd April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What he said
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

At least they have provided the PVR tech to allow us to start time shift to avoid adverts if required!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast