Close

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nds/Sky rolling out their new card pairing method

I've not heard of any new cards coming out anytime soon but will ask relevant dept the question.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So today is the 1st of the September which was supposed to be the end of the card sharing work, I'm curious to know if anyone has been turned off?

Thanks
    Karma Level

nope got entitlements till 01/10

Thanks
    Karma Level

More to the point have any of those previously affected a month or so back managed to restore viewing ???? Still ok here by the way

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes i was curious to this as I am about to move to a new flat where I may take a chance on one of these boxes so have been monitoring this thread for a while, someone was telling me that the new system sends a key to the box every couple of hours and similarly the signal to the satellite updates are sent every couple of hours and if they dont match game over, dont know how reliable or accurate that is but thought I would ask you guys for your opinions on it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My understanding is that the card and the box have a key and they both have to match, the "old" way of sharing was to take the card out of the box, into a PC (server) and share out the codes, as you have to have the card in the box that means that's "game over".

Looking through this thread it appears to me like this might be just scare mongering, everything is going to go away in August, then the 1st of Sept, now the 1st of October, I imagine in a month's time it'll push on till the first of November.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
    My understanding is that the card and the box have a key and they both have to match, the "old" way of sharing was to take the card out of the box, into a PC (server) and share out the codes, as you have to have the card in the box that means that's "game over".

Looking through this thread it appears to me like this might be just scare mongering, everything is going to go away in August, then the 1st of Sept, now the 1st of October, I imagine in a month's time it'll push on till the first of November.
    The card and box have had a key that must match since it launched.. what has changed is the method this key is stored in the box AFAIK .. the new method has the key encrypted in the box which current methods cannot read and thus cannot pair with a CAM/receiver e.t.c ... No pairing whther it be with genuine receiver or dreambox e.t.c = No HD / premium channels

Thanks to macmilm

Clareman (1st September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It will go off its just a question of when not if. Sky are very strategic in there deployment they need to make sure there are no more thompson boxes around otherwise genuine customers will be effected. They are smart and dont rush things after all they have a huge customer base and they cannot afford to loose genuine customers just to deal with a minority of misusers.

Thanks to eblaster101

Clareman (1st September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by eblaster101 View Post
    It will go off its just a question of when not if. Sky are very strategic in there deployment they need to make sure there are no more thompson boxes around otherwise genuine customers will be effected. They are smart and dont rush things after all they have a huge customer base and they cannot afford to loose genuine customers just to deal with a minority of misusers.
    Very good point, advances in technology means that both Sky and the sharers are going to keep adapting to try to protect their product, as you said at the moment it's not having a big enough impact on Sky so they aren't going all guns blazing for it. I'd also imagine that there's an arguement to be made that an awful lot of cardsharers wouldn't pay for Sky anyway so by spending a fortune on blocking them Sky won't be making any additional revenue, in fact a lot of the cardsharers pay for more premium services than normally would be paid for.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i keep forgetting about mine and have to do it last minute, its due to run out on the 6th so i have it in updating now.
    chances are i missed the last emm and it will be a wait now for another, its at this point people would pannic and use there original box,
    as yet no unique emms but im not worried,

as to the points above i agree with Eblaster. what they seem to be doing is stopping the supply of new sharers, by now only giving out boxes with the new pairing method they are limiting any new shares.
    they phased out the thompson because we had the jtag points and the amstrad because they know we know how.
    Then the emm's kill off people who don't know what there doing. leaving just the last few to target

Thanks to -X-

macmilm (1st September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clareman View Post
    Very good point, advances in technology means that both Sky and the sharers are going to keep adapting to try to protect their product, as you said at the moment it's not having a big enough impact on Sky so they aren't going all guns blazing for it. I'd also imagine that there's an arguement to be made that an awful lot of cardsharers wouldn't pay for Sky anyway so by spending a fortune on blocking them Sky won't be making any additional revenue, in fact a lot of the cardsharers pay for more premium services than normally would be paid for.

Of course it's having an impact. CS is massive. I see it everywhere. It is as much as a drain as Ondigital cards or VM boxes. Sky are trying to shut it down very actively. They don't care whether you then buy a subscription or not. They don't want their channels stolen.

It will be shutdown. No-one knows when. I don't know who told you September 1st. But no date has ever been given. I had a stab in the dark that Sky would try and shut it off for the new season, but we can tell that hasn't happened.

SKY are very thorough and don't want to compromise the viewing of genuine subscribers, as said above. They want to make sure everything is in place before they switch it all over. It has been said that the algorithm is only in the newer HD boxes currently. So even when they switch it over, CS will still exist, but for SD channels only. Personally, and again - I know nothing - I think it will take them 2 years to shut it down completely. But that won't shut down all CS, just with SKY. After that more and more satellite providers will employ these tactics, should they prove succesful. The technology appears to be on it's way out, but I'm sure something else will pop up in it's place.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No matter what happens most of us have had a good run.

The way broadband is going the future will probably be some sort of streaming

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post

The way broadband is going the future will probably be some sort of streaming

I would concur.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your both prolly right which will lead to a bigger 'squeeze' on the ISP's to monitor traffic e.t.c but those in the know will usually stay ahead ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I think the days of someone in an office deciding what and when you watch things is coming to an end, with downloads and streaming services (e.g. Netflix) coupled with Sky Plus it's very rarely people will sit down to watch someone just because it's when the TV network is showing it. I would go as far as to say that Live Events (such as sport) will be the main catalyst for TV in the future.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know absolutely fa about this, but I just pop into the thread from time to time anyway.

I was thinking, if it's getting hard via cs methods, what's to stop a clever criminal from getting something like 30-40 subs set up with each box left on one channel, then use something like hdfury to remove the hdcp then stream the outputs as a paid for service?

Obviously this would have a significant setup cost and you wouldn't get every single channel but most are shite anyway.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the problem with sky is that its very expensive for a complete package, when people are out working all day and they only get a few hours of viewing at night. it can cost up to £90 per month which is stupid. if sky changed their pricing structure to £10 a month for everything, I would be the first in the queue but they are too greedy and they know they have a monopoly with this which is they are so greedy.

I would not worry about this ffs people, if it happens then it will not be long before they come out with new equipment to get around this. in fact what if you had a box in your house that you could change its serial by simply adding a text file to a usb stick. all you would have to do is update that and hey ho youre back online again. theres lots of things in the pipeline so I would not worry just yet..
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I know absolutely fa about this, but I just pop into the thread from time to time anyway.

I was thinking, if it's getting hard via cs methods, what's to stop a clever criminal from getting something like 30-40 subs set up with each box left on one channel, then use something like hdfury to remove the hdcp then stream the outputs as a paid for service?

Obviously this would have a significant setup cost and you wouldn't get every single channel but most are shite anyway.
    This is already being done. But CS means you can use the one sub across many boxes. And it still isn't cheap....! Bandwidth is the limiter at the moment. Expensive.

In my previous job, part of my role was to maintain an IPTV service with a few thousand clients. It all ran over the internal Vlan. But... The main point is that we had 24 Sky Boxes with 24 cards going into 24 Exterity Encoders. It's easily done. I wonder what the limit is on Multi-Room accounts...?

Also.... When we invest in a decent fibre network in this country we will shut down the TV system. There will be no broadcast TV. It will all be on demand and via the internet. By then though we'll all be old or dead and the Internet will be a highly regulated space. You'll probably need a licence for a website...!

Thanks to Geko

Over Carl (1st September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

My major gripe and the reason I will no longer subscribe is that.... the minimum package to get what I want gives me about 200 channels...
    All I want is Sky1, kids crap, Crime, Dave... cant think of anything else... is that worth what they want me to pay ????? fuck off Rupert... let me do a pick n mix then we will talk

Thanks to macmilm

Detector (1st September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post

I'd be thinking something like a sharable slingbox. Once the channel you want to watch is on the same transponder you should be able to watch whatever channel you want, most of the Sports channels are on the same transponder, the Movies the same. Because of the nature of open source and the online communities there will be a solution out there soon enough. My ISP banned TPB the other day, it took me all of 2 seconds to find an alternative route through to it, the same will happen with card sharing.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast