Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Minimum wage to increase to £6.31

Employers said the rise struck a balance between the need for wage increases and firms' ability to pay

The national minimum wage is to rise by 12p an hour to £6.31 for adults and by 5p to £5.03 for 18-to-20-year-olds from October, the government has announced.

Business secretary Vince Cable said the government accepted the recommendation of the Low Pay Commission.

However, although the Commission said rate for apprentices should be frozen, Mr Cable said it would rise by 3p to £2.68 an hour.

The increases are below current inflation levels.

Retail Prices Index (RPI) inflation currently stands at 3.2% and the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) at 2.8%.

Business Secretary Vince Cable said: "The independent Low Pay Commission plays a crucial role in advising the government when setting the national minimum wage every year. It balances wages of low paid workers against employment prospects if the rate was set too high.

"We are accepting its recommendations for the adult and youth rate increases, which I am confident strikes this balance. However, there is worrying evidence that a significant number of employers are not paying apprentices the relevant minimum wage rate.

"Apprenticeships are at the heart of our goal to support a stronger economy, and so it is important to continue to make them attractive to young people.

Therefore, I am not taking forward the LPC's recommendation to freeze the apprenticeship rate due to non-compliance, but instead am raising it in line with the youth rates.

"We are working on a series of tough new measures to ensure we tackle non-compliance issues across the board."

'Modest' increase

The EEF manufacturers' organisation said the rises struck a delicate balance between the need for pay increases and the limitations employers faced in awarding rises.

"The modest increase in the apprenticeship rate is unlikely to negatively affect apprenticeship recruitment and of much greater importance is the raising of apprenticeships standards, better information and advice to students and ensuring that apprenticeships are truly employer-led and employer-driven," the EEF said.

TUC general secretary Frances O'Grady said: "Boosting the incomes of the low-paid goes straight into the economy and wage-led growth must be part of the recovery, so we would have liked to have seen minimum wage rates go up further today, even if the government has rightly rejected calls for a freeze.

"But we are pleased that ministers have increased the apprenticeship rate. This sends a positive signal about the importance of apprentices."

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Minimum wage to increase to £6.31

Less than inflation , so in effect a cut.

Thanks to elephantsoup

Bald Bouncer (15th April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by elephantsoup View Post
    add it to the list!
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by elephantsoup View Post
    Bit like the last few years pay rise I've had...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tell you what, I'd take that 1.9% pay rise over what I've received in the last two years...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why from October when the year is all but finished ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Minimum wage rises are always set from October, probably easier to keep it annual, also most people get a net wage increase in April with the PA rise so gives an additional increase 6 months on