Close

Thread: Italy?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Italy?

Heading to Italy later this year and thinking about visiting the following places...

Florence
    Rome
    Naples inc. Mt Vesuvius, Pompeii and Santa Maria Capua Vetere (Original location of the Spartacus rebellion)
    Amalfi Coast - Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi

Has anyone been here before and can recommend anything to do, particular places to see or hidden jewels that I've missed? I imagine there are loads of amazing places in Italy.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Italy?

The bottom of Italy is much nicer than the top, personally I always avoid all the tourist traps so only thing I would suggest is get a train it's an experience.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

CallmeGoose (22nd April 2013)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

we were looking to get the train all over the place, no internal flying, in my opinion there is nothing worse on waiting on internal flights - we have 5 internal flights when we went to Vietnam and i would easily exchange that for a train.

Only issue we are having is figuring out how to get to Santa Maria Capua Vetere from Naples. I know there is a train, but seeing as I dont speak or read much italian, trying to translate the rail lines site is hard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's hard but avoid the tourist traps. From my experience, try something like airbnb.co.uk to book a room in a locals house or an apartment and get first hand knowledge of how best to experience a city.

Thanks to CzarJunkie

CallmeGoose (22nd April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been to all the places you mention, my parents live about half an hour from the Amalfi coast, we stayed at Sorrento last year, and i've stayed at Positano and Amalfi on other occasions, beautiful scenery, if i could live anywhere on earth it would be the Amalfi coast.

Naples is a wonderful place, i've been to Pompeii on numerous occasions it still sends a shiver down my spine every time i go, well worth a visit, my advice pay 10 euros a hire one of the many guides it's a massive place and you will more than likely miss loads if you don't.

Also try Cassino it's not far from Naples, check out the British war cemetary, and then head up to Monte Cassino, the views from up there are spectacular, definitely a hidden jewel

If you get chance get on the ferry to Capri or Ischia, they're islands just off the coast of Naples last year it was 50 degrees so take a hat

The 'Ferrovia' or railway system in Italy is surprisingly good don't be to worried about not speaking the lingo, many Italians speak English don't be afraid to ask.

I've been to Rome a dozen times and i've still not seen everything i want to, main things for you would be the Colosseum, Trevi fountain, Vatican(check out the catacoombs underneath too), Pantheon, Ostia Antica, Villa dei Quintili (once home of Emperor Commodus, the baddie in the movie Gladiator) etc etc, and as you seem to like Spartacus have a look at the place on the Rome to Capua road where 5000+ of his followers were crucified.

If you do get a taxi anywhere, tel him where you're going and sort out a price first, i worked there years ago and if you don't do this expect your wallet to be emptied very quickly.

I'll hopefully be there during August maybe we can meet up for a beer if you're buying
    Last edited by ilscuro; 22nd April 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks to ilscuro

CallmeGoose (23rd April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    For me, I loved Torino and Miilan but when I went down to Napoli I found the corruption, begging, bribery and the Italian version of "can I watch your car Mister" very tiresome. The scenerey from the bay and Pompeii is very nice but the rubbish everywhere, holes in the road and begging was just too much.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks to Lou_smorals

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    For me, I loved Torino and Miilan but when I went down to Napoli I found the corruption, begging, bribery and the Italian version of "can I watch your car Mister" very tiresome. The scenerey from the bay and Pompeii is very nice but the rubbish everywhere, holes in the road and begging was just too much.
    LS
    Sounds like Liverpool.

Thanks to CzarJunkie

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    More like Gotham ciity (without batman)
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks to Lou_smorals

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thumbs up for florence... gorgeous place, the bridges and scenery are fab
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay in the porch!!!!

Thanks to k11jrp

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My Italian missus suggests anywhere in Puglia (Apulia in English) - the most beautiful scenery in Italy. Lots better than the lakes (Where she's from), but also a place you need to speak Italian, otherwise you'll struggle - they wont even try to help you.

Otherwise, If you want an amazing memorable holiday - Rome, its incredible, and busy. Make it memorable by hiring a car - you will never forget driving and more importantly, parking and retrieving your parked car, in Rome.

Pompeii is amazing - getting a guide is a great shout.

Personally, if you make it to the north, i think you'll love it. Como is incredible, very chilled and lovely in the Summer.
    Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough! - http://toastlad.mybrute.com

Thanks to ptm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Naples is messed up. Did they clear all the rubbish in the end?! Place is well dodgy and they are not too keen on Brits.

Another vote for airbnb (theres' an iDevice app) I used them for finding places when I did a mini Euro trip over new year. Although make sure you know where you are going... One joey in our group booked a place "near the station", which it was, but the wrong station on the other side of town...

Italy up north is overated. Sicily is one of the most beatiful places I have been to. Amalfi coast is aparently lovely but very, very expensive.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I went to Rome for my 30th. It was in the height of the summer and we spent 4 days doing the "tourist thing" which is not me at all normally but I do enjoy history and architecture so really enjoyed myself. The queues and the prices are a bit strong but it's a popular city. Two top restaurant tips would be the roof top restaurant at Hotel Eden (panoramic views of the entire city) and dining "al fresco" the Boscolo Exedra.

We went to the Amalfi Coast for our honeymoon (7years ago last week) and were bowled over by the place, the people and the food. It is one of the most beautiful places I have been to so far.
    We stayed in Praiano (a small boutique hotel called Casa Angelina) but travelled around quite a bit - days out to Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi. We spent our last two nights on Capri, staying at the Capri Palace, which was superb.

My experience of Italy is limited but what I have seen has been very impressive. I very much doubt that you will be disappointed by the country.

Thanks to Roach-Rampino

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the reply folks. it is for our honeymoon so we can't wait! some very good tips.

i had a look at the airbnb site and was very impressed with the prices per night. definitely going to use that for at least 1 or 2 of the places we visit.

:-)