Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Home espresso makers?

I have a Russell Hobbs "Caffe Espresso" machine which is pretty much deceased, it has started to leak, the case is cracking, the on/off switch is falling apart and it belches steam everywhere because the metal sealing ring is deteriorating and cannot be repolaced.

It is so old that when I contacted them to see what the modern day equivalent is they said they couldn't remember making the model I showed them in a picture!

I'm looking for a replacement but, as that one cost me a massive £3.00 from a bric-a-brac stall I guess I'll need to spend a few pence more than that!

Nevertheless, I'm not made of money so am looking for a readably priced machine which will allow me to continue to use my home ground Caffe Nero beans and make a standard mug (or two) of Caffe Nero style coffee, something the Russell Hobbs does exceedingly well. I accept that Caffe Nero Americano isn't espresso, but the Russell Hobbs "four cup" espresso grounds basket, filled full and well tamped down, makes one standard mug's worth of decent strong coffee.

I've been on Amazon and looked at everything from the stove-top espresso pots through to all singing all dancing devices costing several hundreds of pounds but, more than any other item I've researched, review opinions are contradictory in the extreme!

I appreciate that coffee is a matter of personal taste, but I aspire to continuing to recreate Caffe Nero Original coffee at home.

I attach a picture of my current, soon to be late, machine, complete with standard mug to indicate size, in case anyone recognises it!

Any advice on what is good, bad or indifferent would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Home espresso makers?

i got this model fo a tenner, ideal fot work.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morphy-Ric...item4ac3bded73

i also use this type prom time to time from ikea £15 ish
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-STAINL...item485021991c

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm old skool.... I use one of these on the hob. It's a pain in the arse but stops me drinking too much coffee!

DJ OD

3 Thanks given to DJ OD

Goldberg (23rd April 2013),  ptm (23rd April 2013),  WRATH OF BOD (23rd April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dovebid are selling the perfect thing if you have the space

Thanks
    Karma Level

ye i use this one

Thanks
    Karma Level

a friend bought a Nespresso about a month ago...
    I am a fussy bastard when it comes to coffee but can say hand on heart he makes the best coffee I have ever had... and I hate nescafe
    Not cheap tho..
    His coffee (and there is loads of variety in the capsules he buys) blow Costa, starbucks e.t.c out the water
    You get a massive amount of crema on the top of the coffee like a pint of guiness and I am talking black coffee

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    I'm old skool.... I use one of these on the hob. It's a pain in the arse but stops me drinking too much coffee!

DJ OD
    Me too - the coffee is brilliant!
    Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough! - http://toastlad.mybrute.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

i use the tassimo T55 i got it easter weekend in currys was £139.99 but got it for £59
    makes nice coffee all types, i do use alot of the costa capaccino with cinnamon syrup

Thanks
    Karma Level

easy way to make own coffee syrup
    To make a simple syrup, combine 1 cup water and 1 cup white sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until it has reduced by half, which should take about 5 minutes. Now if you want flavoring, you have to add those ingredient(s) at the same time you add the water and sugar. Keep in mind, the following are just examples. I don't really have a precise recipe for this as I usually just wing it, so play around with the amounts and make what suits your own taste.

Vanilla bean

If you use vanilla beans in cooking, always reserve the pod (wrap and refrigerate) once you have scraped the seeds out because it is perfect for something like this. Simply add the pod to the water and sugar mix, prepare as above, and remove it once the syrup has reduced. If you are only making a small batch, you might want to only use a portion of the vanilla pod. If you don't use vanilla beans at home, you can add approximately 1 tsp. vanilla extract to the water & syrup instead.

Cinnamon syrup
    Add about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the water and sugar mixture. If you want the syrup to resemble the Cinnamon Dolce flavor, use brown sugar instead of white.

Experiment with other flavors, spices, and extracts to find the ones that suit you best. If you like pumpkin pie, use the same spices you would add to a pumpkin pie, etc. Practice in small batches, but once you find a blend you like, you can make larger portions and refrigerate.

Read more: http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/07/...#ixzz2RHj3jdhM

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am with DJ and ptm. Wife bought me one and I have never looked back!

I like milky lattes occasionally to, so I bagged one of these which is simply awesome! : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009FTDUD...SIN=B009FTDUDG

We also have a Cuisinart bean to cup machine in the house which comes in handy when we have visitors at the weekend.

As for the beans, I use this place: http://www.algcoffee.co.uk/scripts/default.asp
    The website is offensive, but I have used it and it is fine. I normally actually goto the store in Soho (where they ship the web orders from). I recommend each month just grabbing a bag of the medium roast and high roast beans (500g each). But if you get a chance to goto the shop, make sure you get a takeaway espresso.

If I have to resort to instant in the morning at home due to time, I find myself having to buy one on the way into the office. However when I use one of my devices, I am set until mid day!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure if this helps but I use an Aeropress and this works for me.

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...j1.zePn_6kr5Wk

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another fan here of the stove top machines... been using the Bialetti Moka Express 3 cup for years, only having to replace the rubber seals once in a while.
    When her indoors wants to spoil & dilute the taste by adding crappy foamy milk, i just use a milk frother from ikea costing all of £1

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30100041/

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am quite fussy when it comes to coffee. I tried the stove top which is amazing but for me is too much faffing about in the mornings.
    I got this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it for £50 around xmas time. Then i bought a coffee duck which lets you use your own ground coffee and saves using the pods. I love a milky coffee so simply microwave some milk for 30 seconds.

Coffeduck:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bouché View Post
    I am quite fussy when it comes to coffee. I tried the stove top which is amazing but for me is too much faffing about in the mornings.
    I got this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...UTF8&psc=1

I got it for £50 around xmas time. Then i bought a coffee duck which lets you use your own ground coffee and saves using the pods. I love a milky coffee so simply microwave some milk for 30 seconds.

Coffeduck:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...UTF8&psc=1
    I'd love a coffee duck for a the tassimo bit they don't do one.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nespresso with milk frother is the mutts nuts
    You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be all right!

Thanks to TheThingIs

macmilm (23rd April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheThingIs View Post
    nespresso with milk frother is the mutts nuts
    agree totally, tried stove pots etc. etc. and while they all made good coffee, it was too much hassle i.e I'm too lazy.
    Nespresso is the solution for me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a little Krups one I haven't used for years and just last week I picked up some descaling stuff to clear it out ready for another bash. However, I figured I wouldn't use it much after an initial burst so I put the stuff back on the shelf. Maybe after reading this thread I'll give the Krups another go.

edit - it looks like the attached photo but the jug was knackered years ago.

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for all the replies - as I said, there are as many opinions as there are coffee makers!

Sprog The Elder swears by stove top units, although the one I used to have never worked and he couldn't get it to work either.

Sprog The Younger, alas, doesn't drink coffee - I blame the parents!

Nevertheless, I've followed all your links and done a bit more Googling based on your advice and have decided to try a different type of stove top than the one I had before (many moons since).

I've gone for the Ilsa Turbo Express 9 cup (http://www.algcoffee.co.uk/scripts/p...?idproduct=407) - this make because although it is 9 cup there is an insert which comes with the Ilsa which allows you to make lesser quantities whereas, as I understand it, other types require you to fill be basket to the top,

I also selected Ilsa because it seemed to get good reviews and was stainless steel - my old stove top was aluminium and although used rarely (because it never worked even with new gaskets) it tarnished very quickly and very badly.The

Ilsa is mentioned, briefly and at the end (but that's where I learnt of the insert to allow smaller quantities to be made) in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSVQdwKr_E

Thanks again for the advice - if this turns out to be an unmitigated disaster I'll be back looking for electrical devices agin - beansontoast's Krups looks fairly small which would fit better in my small kitchen if the Ilsa fails me!

I'll report back after I have received the Ilsa and tried it for a while.

Oh, and I should have added that I don't really like pod machines as they rarely make it strong enough for me.

I like the my coffee to be the caffeine equivalent of builder's tea - except without the milk and sugar.

In my view, adding anything to coffee is in direct contravention of the Geneva Convention and must be considered as a cruel and unusual punishment!