Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Windows 8.1 Will Bring Back The Start Button

According to a new report, Microsoft is planning to bring the long lost Start Orb button back with Windows 8.1 later this year. Is it a good move? Is Microsoft trying to lure back users they lost over the past months?

The Start button had been a part of Windows since the inception of Windows 95 when it was released back in 1995. Yup, that’s 17 years ago if you’ve been marking your calendars properly. Over time, for users, it had evolved as the first go-to place for getting any sort of work done.

With the release of Windows 8 in October last year, Microsoft brought to the scene the Metro / Modern-ridden Start screen. For some, it was a big treat, for others, a big horror. I’ve even ranted about it a while back. The removal of the Start button proved to be a big pain for a lot of traditional PC users, and I was one of them. For Microsoft, the sole purpose was not just to bring a fancy UI to the table, but to make one hybrid OS for both desktops/notebooks and Tablets. But has Microsoft succeeded in doing that?

If you’re a tablet user, then the new touch optimized Start screen makes a lot of sense; it’s fast, fluid and snappy. Checking emails, browsing the web, reading your tweets and whatnot doesn’t get easier than this on a touch screen PC. But what if you’re a traditional PC power user? You multitask like there’s no tomorrow. You want powerful apps running side by side etc. You need that Start button + menu on the bottom left-hand corner to access your desktop apps without having to jump into that awful Modern UI.

Now, according to the report which TheVerge published today, the Start button in Windows 8.1 will be a mere button which would just take you to the Start screen, nothing else. It wont include the familiar Start menu you have been so used to in the pre-Windows 8 era. A single click on the Windows logo in v8.1 will take you to the Modern UI Start screen, nothing more, nothing less.

If that is the case, then it is just silly for Microsoft to include it. I’m not speaking for everyone here, but I clearly don’t want a button which would just take me to a place where I don’t want to be in the first place, the Modern UI. I want a button which would open up the Start menu, which in turn would show me my recently opened apps and documents without the Metro / Modern stuff around it on my PC without touch screen. I want that set as default in Windows 8.1 for desktops and notebooks which are meant to be used with keyboard+mice. For Tablets and other touch-optimized PCs, yes, the Modern UI Start screen makes sense, and should be set as default.

Recently, We also reported about Microsoft planning to bring an option in Windows 8.1 which would allow users to boot directly to the traditional desktop environment, skipping the Start screen altogether on first boot. This move somewhat defines the fact that Microsoft might just be regretting their Metro / Modern decision after all, and a majority of its users aren’t sold to the new UI, just yet.

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 23rd April 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows 8.1 Will Bring Back The Start Button

Well I will believe it when I see it.

It was a bold move to force all users to adopt the metro UI. Whether it paid off or not its hard to tell. It's a very marmite situation.

All they had to do was have the option to switch UI from traditional to metro, even as a one off choice on install would do. I mean even up to Win7 they retained the old skool Windows "clasic" theme.

Hopefully the Windows 8.1 revision will sort all this.

Seems to maybe be sinking in that touchscreen ONLY works with hand held devices, not just with MS but all manufacturers.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

As many others have said, Windows 8 is optimised for touch screen devices.. I'm using it on my Surface and absolutely love it. Its immediately clear what the designers were trying to achieve. Using Windows 8 on my desktop is a completely different experience however.. I try and stay in desktop mode for most of the time.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

If they really wanna make big changes, it's probably about time to ditch all the legacy code for backwards compatibility with dos/win 3.1. Redesign it from the ground up as a leaner OS.

Problem is this legacy code arose because we had such a massive base of installed apps. Much in the same way we have such a massive amount of non touch pc's which should be properly supported until they are no longer mainstream.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i have a start button installed on my version of windows 8 for convenience and i love it, makes things so much easier for non touchscreen devices.

Thanks
    Karma Level

"It's not about using the Metro Style, it's about clicking an Orb"