Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contact Lenses

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Contact Lenses

I currently wear specs for computer use and reading. My right eye is fucked to the gills and my left is nigh on perfect. Am bastard sick of specs now as I keep scratching the fuckers and they cost a bomb when they need replacing.

Anyway my point is I am thinking of getting lenses as I will only really need the one but am wondering what my options are. I like the idea of the ones you can leave in for a month as I don't fancy fucking around with them too often but I know there are dialy ones and normal ones.

What do you lot use and where do you get them? Price needs to be as low as possible really but have absolutely no idea of what I am looking at.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Contact Lenses

I need em for both eyes (-5.25 and -6.00). Pretty much always been with specsavers. I used to be on the monthly disposables, was about £15/month years ago, had eye infections a couple of times so went to daily disposables at about £22/month, never had any trouble since, and its nice not having to bother with the cleaning. I tried the ones you keep in for a month, half way through the trial, one of my eyes went proper bright red, and they said my eyes weren't suited to them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had laser eye surgery and would recommend it to anyone, it is life changing. Got it done around a year back and it is truly amazing.

it only cost me £395 per eye.

If you can get it, honestly you won't regret it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have thought about laser but out of six people I know who have had it 3 have had serious issues and one cannot see without specs now and one had to have it redone as they fucked it up the first time. I've got a 2 year old daughter as well and I don't think now would be a good time to get ti done with her charging around and what have you plus I really don't like the idea of it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I need summat too, best book an optician appointment. Sat in front of screens all day it taking its toll. (Can't see the bairn past the half way line now watching footy, goes all blurred). :S

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Have thought about laser but out of six people I know who have had it 3 have had serious issues and one cannot see without specs now and one had to have it redone as they fucked it up the first time. I've got a 2 year old daughter as well and I don't think now would be a good time to get ti done with her charging around and what have you plus I really don't like the idea of it.

I got it done when my daughter was months old, just had to be careful for a bit. She was the main reason I got it done.

Would have been a knightmare going to nursery to pick her up and picking up the wrong kid.

I have also heard bad stories, but like everyone says "you always here the bad stories".

Going for a consoltation is free and puts your mind at rest. You might not even be suitable (depends on damage to eye/eyes) but you will find more out.

I got it done at Northumberland Street Newcastle, Optical Express.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also thought I would add, my eyes are very sensitive. At first the optician on my fitting was getting very peed off with me closing my eyes as soon as the lense got near them. When I first started wearing them, it would take me about half an hour to get the damn things in. Now its second nature, can do it without a mirror. Cos I wear my lenses as long as I am awake, they have become so comfortable, my eyes actually now feel extra sensitive when I am wearing no lenses.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wouldn't recomend laser surgery either (well second hand wouldn't recomend). My landlord last year was an eye surgeon and general chat about it he said he wouldn't recomend it for most people, only in exceptional cases.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Wouldn't recomend laser surgery either (well second hand wouldn't recomend). My landlord last year was an eye surgeon and general chat about it he said he wouldn't recomend it for most people, only in exceptional cases.

Why's that? (am I fooked, am I gonna go blind).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I read a few things last year that stated the tech wasn't really where it should be yet on a few medical sites but can't find anyhting about it now. I am diabetic anyway and it isn't recommended anyway in my case so lets get back on the topic of contact lenses.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You wont be able to jump straight to wearing the 30 day continuous wear lenses. You'll have to start with dailys and wear them occasionally, then progress to monthly's and then to continuous or your eyes won't be able to handle it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Before I had my laser surgery in 2005 I always used vision direct for contact lenses.

http://www.visiondirect.co.uk

I always found them cheap and reliable back in the day.

Go to the opticians and get a free contact lens trial & your prescription and then order them from Vision Direct.

They were loads cheaper back when I was using them.
    Last edited by Nibb; 13th February 2007 at 05:23 PM.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Contact lenses are good but I got sick of wearing them and found that:

1. when not wearing them my eyes watered a lot becuase the tear ducks are use to producing more liquid
    2. Your eye sight deterioates quicker wearing lenses until it gets to a point.
    3. Lenses can sometimes be slightly different in strength and I found that the clarity of the lenses were crap compared to specs

My suggestion to you Bert would be stop playing with yourself before you go blind.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wear gas permeables for everyday use and dailys for rugby and going out. The dailys aren't expensive anymore and someone posted the following link a little while back http://www.lensway.co.uk/

I've worn lenses since I was 12 and never had a problem with them. Didn't have to take it slowly, it took literally a couple of hours and then my eyes seemed to suddenly get used to them more or less instantaneously.
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had 'em for 19 years now..Soft gas permeable....1month usage then chuck em for a new set.

Never had any probs. Still don't trust the UK's laser guys. Gotta ask yourself why most opticians wear glasses or lenses....what do they know that we don't??

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
    Never had any probs. Still don't trust the UK's laser guys. Gotta ask yourself why most opticians wear glasses or lenses....what do they know that we don't??

They know that if they have laser surgery and admit to it their livelyhood is down the plughole?
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks to Nibb

CzarJunkie (25th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great guys. Thanks for all the input. Will have a word with my optician when I go Tuesday.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you have oddly shaped eyes, then you cant get the long term lenses. i take mine out every month and chuck them. for a short while they gave me some with a little mark on them to see which way roud they go
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I started about 7 years ago with the 'normal' ones that you take out. Couple of years ago started on the leave in for a month, and they are brilliant. Best thing I ever did.
    Put them in and just forget about them.
    The ONLY time I take them out is for swimming.
    £15 a month from Specsavers including 6 month checkups.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast