Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

moan Scary Electric bill

Hi
    well no gas in our place, only electric, I have my domestic watrer heated by solar tubes, I have an electric boiler for central heating (wet system electromax 2 yrs old). I also have multifuel burner in sittingroom. I have a A+++ bosch washing machine, dishwasher, fridge freezer, 3 PC's, one 42in Plasma and a 40" LCD. I live in a three bedroom bungalow with my son (only the two of us). Just been told that I use £2400 worth of electricity per year and I got to pay nearly £200 a month....
    do you guys think this is reasonable?
    LS

P.s Scottish and southern on Economy 10
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: scarey Electric bill

On a par with mine if not a bit less similar situation and I'm on the cheapest rate I could find.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Lou_smorals (24th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to add I don't for one second buy the 'average household bill' shit they pump out and suspect they add in vacant properties and other factors to make it lower.

2012 average cost of £1,345 per year. Of this amount, Ofgem suggests the energy companies are making an average of £100 profit out of customer
    I also have the remote's to turn the power off at the plug so as not to leave anything on standby

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Just to add I don't for one second buy the 'average household bill' shit they pump out and suspect they add in vacant properties and other factors to make it lower.

I also have the remote's to turn the power off at the plug so as not to leave anything on standby

Lazy bastard.....

How much does this actually save?

I mean, I have a Wii, TV, Apple TV, Sky Box, DVD Unit, AV Sender & Router all turned on and left on stanby at all times. Realistically, how much would this even save me. I mean I could swap the Router & Sky onto their own feed and turn the rest off, but can't cost more than 50p a night?
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

More like 50p per year

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Lazy bastard.....

How much does this actually save?

I mean, I have a Wii, TV, Apple TV, Sky Box, DVD Unit, AV Sender & Router all turned on and left on stanby at all times. Realistically, how much would this even save me. I mean I could swap the Router & Sky onto their own feed and turn the rest off, but can't cost more than 50p a night?
    How much does it cost to leave household appliances on? For example, when my daughter leaves the TV on standby.

Plugged in: How much does it cost to leave electrical appliances on standby compared with using them?

A home energy expert, from not-for-profit energy group Ebico, replies: The best way to look at this is that any appliance that is using more electricity than it needs to – even what might seem like a relatively small amount each hour – does add up on your electricity bill over the course of a year. So getting a handle on what these costs are can save you money in the long run.

Ultimately, understanding how much it costs to run various appliances around the house, and using them smartly, will save you money on your energy bills. However, each appliance works in a different way, meaning that the energy demand for each varies.

The table below highlights how much energy in watts (on average) most common household appliances use when both ‘switched on’ and when on 'standby':
    How much energy do household appliances use?

Appliance When on (watts) Standby (watts)
    Stereo 22 12
    TV 100 10
    Video recorder 13 1
    DVD recorder 12 7
    Digital top box 6 5
    Computer + peripherals 130 15
    Computer monitor 70 11
    Laptop computer 29 2
    Broadband modem 14 14
    Answering machine 3 3
    Battery charger 14 1
    Mobile phone charger 5 2
    Total 418 83

Source:
    http://www.sustainable-girton.org.uk...s/standby.html

As you can see, if you were to keep all these appliances on standby they would add up to 83 watts, which if left on standby for say 18 hours a day, 365 days a year works out at roughly £76 added to your annual energy bill – not a small figure by any means.

To help you work out your appliance energy use, look on the back of the appliance, (often on a sticker), where it will specify the electricity demand figure in watts (W) or kilo watts (kW). If it is in watts, divide by 1,000 to get the kW.

Then multiply the kW figure by the rate of electricity you are currently paying in pennies. You can then multiply that by the true amount of hours you have your appliances on standby to give a better reflection on your annual saving, if you were to turn everything off at the mains.

Consequently, switching your appliances off at the mains once you’re finished using them, instead of leaving on standby, is a great way to reduce your energy bills, ensuring that appliances are not using any more energy than they need to be.

Home Energy Expert is a free energy advice service from Ebico, the UK’s only not-for-profit energy company and National Energy Action, the UK’s leading fuel poverty charity, committed to improving the quality of life of low income households and campaigning for warm homes.

Home Energy Expert has teamed up with This is Money to answer any burning questions about energy in your home. If you want to improve your energy efficiency and save money then email your question with Home Energy Expert in the subject line to:editor@thisismoney.co.uk
    For more information click on to: www.ebico.org.uk

Source

FYI - this is 2 years old so it's easy over £100 a year on these calculations and that's also presuming things like one TV not 3 like my place etc.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

DJ OD (24th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Imo, it's not just about how much electric devices consume on stand by, but also because they are still draining power (as little as it may seem) it is still possibly leading to their premature failure.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

I live in a two bed semi, with a gas combi-boiler that's on virtually all day every day through the winter as my other half is a stay at home mum. From what I've been told, gas is more expensive than electric (dunno by who, maybe the electric company lol) but I only pay £75 a month.

One thing I did do was sack off the economy 7 bollocks I was on. It meant the 'leccy was cheaper from 1am through to 8am but slightly higher for the rest of the day. All the stuff that really clocks up the pounds like toaster, kettle, iron, tumble drier, microwave, cooker (any thing that generates a lot of heat basically) are never used during that time and so it cost me more than I saved.

I'd check to see if your lifestyle fits in with the times your electric is cheapest. If it doesn't then going on to a standard plan may help you too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

See how it does add up.

Only reason I came on is our EoN bill just came in at 198 for the quarter based on my reading submitted. We live in all electric apartment, so I didn't think that was too bad. Considering the last Q over the winder, using electric heaters, cost me £283 for the same Q.
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ours seems to vary between about £350-450 per quarter.

I cannot be fucked with trying to save power - as much as I won't intentionally take the piss with it, I won't go out of my way to try and save. I have a funny mentality that I buy machines to serve me rather than me serve the machines so I prefer the convenience of having shit on standby.

I can't make much sense out of it either - I tried for the coldest quarter not using the electric heater and shutting down my server which didn't seem to make fuck all difference (bill was estimate, they estimated slightly under). Next quarter I caned the electric heater and they took an actual reading so I was expecting to get bummed but the bill went down.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Ours seems to vary between about £350-450 per quarter.

I cannot be fucked with trying to save power - as much as I won't intentionally take the piss with it, I won't go out of my way to try and save.

I can't make much sense out of it either - I tried for the coldest quarter not using the electric heater and shutting down my server which didn't seem to make fuck all difference (bill was estimate, they estimated slightly under). Next quarter I caned the electric heater and they took an actual reading so I was expecting to get bummed but the bill went down.
    My attitude is not so much saving money (although that is a bonus) but keeping it out of these non tax paying scumbags hands and every penny I can avoid paying to them is a penny well saved.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Ashley (24th April 2013),  tombott (24th April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I did some research into our desktop PCs at work and actually found that they actually use less power in standby mode than they do when powered down (i.e. plugged into wall and not off at the socket).

It's because stand-by is designed to be a super low power consumption mode and it actually works better than switching the thing off completely. I presume this is because the 'smart' power management bit isn't functioning to reduce the power. So it draws more keeping the network card active and so forth...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    I did some research into our desktop PCs at work and actually found that they actually use less power in standby mode than they do when powered down (i.e. plugged into wall and not off at the socket).

It's because stand-by is designed to be a super low power consumption mode and it actually works better than switching the thing off completely. I presume this is because the 'smart' power management bit isn't functioning to reduce the power. So it draws more keeping the network card active and so forth...
    Standby....

Better than off completely?

As in unplugged?

Does it generate electricity?

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It could use more power to power on and shut down than to put to sleep. Makes sense if you turn it on and off a few times a day.

I pay £105 a month for gas and electric. 10 year old combi boiler, 1 TV, a couple of PCs, washing machine and fridge. Couldnt pay £200 a month thats quite a lot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Managed to find the link: www.dell.com/downloads/global/corporate/environ/comply/optix_760_dctr.pdf

Check energy consumption on page 4:

ACPI S4 mode (hibernate) = 1.54w
    Off, low power mode enabled = 1.55w
    Off, low power mode disabled = 1.84w

This data sheet is for a pretty old spec PC too. Newer PCs saved even more power.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Standby....

Better than off completely?

As in unplugged?

Does it generate electricity?

DJ OD
    Did you miss the bit that says "i.e. plugged in to wall and not off at the socket"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i was £80 a month for gas and elec with scottish power they just put that up to £100 as last 6 months the gas got hammered but next few months it should sort itself back out.

Lou get them to send yearly consumption data and put the info into the comparison sites worth it for 20 mins work may save a few bob

Thanks to Mobileman

Lou_smorals (24th April 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    thanks Mobile but my heating needs economy 10 and no comprison site does that :-(
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    thanks Mobile but my heating needs economy 10 and no comprison site does that :-(
    LS
    Needs? When I switched from Economy 7 it just meant they had to come and change the meter, which was free.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    LS
    id get your data sent to you and look it over maybe worth you not being on economy ten !!

sure ten used to work like below

The structure of the 10 off peak hours is as follows;

• 3 hours in the afternoon
    • 2 hours in the evening
    • 5 hours over night

also current providers times may be a few hours different to someone else which may or may not benefit you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast