Close

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Show us your servers / NAS boxes!

If you're going to play with iSCSI Targets you might want to check out StarWind too as it was quicker than the 2008R2 target (although I was coming from an ESX host).

To be fair I stood up a quick VM onto the 2012 iSCSI target yesterday for a test and it seemed quicker, and that's backed off onto a parity Storage Space on 4x Seagate 3TBs

..:: Edit ::..
    To be fair I've been doing some work this afternoon and the 2012 target definitely feels much quicker than it did in 2008, I've built a couple of VMs and they're flying!
    Last edited by reverend; 11th August 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Edit Also when I said HA, I was thinking of stuff like RAID, redundant PSU's, etc.
    Ahh I get ya. HA is more about getting services back online, after a short amount of downtime, if a failure occurs. Usually clustered servers and replicated SANs and stuff.

RAID and redundant PSUs are more about making a system Fault Tolerant so that they can take failures on their stride.

Thanks to Mr.James

Over Carl (11th August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry for using confusing terminology, I had about a bottle of whiskey and 6 pints by the time I had posted that. Although if anyone should take the blame, I'm sure I've seen FT features listed as HA features in Dell brochures.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wicked read!

I dont have a set up, I am still messing about with single hardware species. I have 3No 2Tb Freecom Data Tank Gateways and 1No 4tb Freecom Sqaure. Poorly set up and not organised.

I am constantly put to not shame, simple lazy good for nothing mr make do and struggle on!

Got to check out some of these software pieces. Thank for sharing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Running a Mini ITX board with I5 / 16GB of ram
    Got a Raid card passing through ESXI onto a Unraid setup 10xtb. This also runs my sab,couchpotato, sickbeard
    Got another 2.5 Disk to Run Windows server 2008 for Plex

If you are hesitating with Esxi DONT. Its the best move I made. Really happy with the setup. The fact that I can login and just create another machine for my friends to use from home (terminal servers). Or if you want to test anything, its really useful.

Thanks to eblaster101

Over Carl (16th August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been toying with the idea of VMware for a couple of weeks now. Can't decide between VMware Hypervisor or Hyper-V Core 2012.

The GUI for VMware seems real clunky vs the MMC for Hyper-V and ultimately I don't think there will be any difference performance wise.

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ Mr James: I haven't kept up to date on the latest developments but when I started pissing around at home a year or two ago, VMware's ability to overallocate RAM/CPU and still have the VM's running nice was the clincher.

I think I was comfortable at about 2 / 2.5x.

@ eblaster: Are you using Gig Ethernet or 10Gig between your storage and ESXi? If you are only using Gig, are you happy with it?

I've thought I want to redo my old setup that's offline atm paired with another similar box holding 10x2Tb. However my with my current setup, the PERC card is the bottleneck at about 400Megabyte/s in RAID 5, while Gig E would be about 4 times slower and considering I would be running a lot more VM's that worries me.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 16th August 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

eblaster - exactly what I am planning for in a few months time

an esxi build together with passthrough for some sort of NAS setup.

have you got more details on the build?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    @ Mr James: I haven't kept up to date on the latest developments but when I started pissing around at home a year or two ago, VMware's ability to overallocate RAM/CPU and still have the VM's running nice was the clincher.

I think I was comfortable at about 2 / 2.5x.
    Yeah I seen the RAM over allocation thing (hyper-v can do procs) but my setup has plenty more RAM than I need at the min.

I'll mainly be running GUI-less Linux VMs with small RAM requirements. The thing I really liked about it was the transparent RAM pages, which is essentially RAM de-dupe, but after reading up it needs a mo-bo that supports it... And I'm pretty sure no home NAS type mo-bo will. It's a shame because that could really up the density of VMs per host.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I use both hypervisors at home and they've both got their place. If you are tighter on resources then ESXi should be the default choice as it needs less resources for the host.

I'm currently running a 2008R2 box with Hyper-V which is an RDP Gateway and all my media apps etc, a 2012 R2 box with Hyper-V which at the moment is just used with a large storage pool and for iSCSI which I'm impressed with and then all the rest of the boxes are all ESXi. I want to move all the roles over to the 2012 box - it's just finding time now the little one is here!

One good thing with iSCSI is that you're not usually hammering disks flat out so the ethernet cap only hits when you're doing file copies, backing up databases etc.

A cheaper way than 10GbE is just aggregate a load of 1Gb connections and use that - I run a few HP NC360Ts exactly for that reason now!

I just finished upgrading the work environment to vCenter 5.1 U1b last night so I can start getting the hosts all up to date, as well as introduce a load more compute resource next week - it should run a bit sweeter with another 64 cores and 1TB of RAM added - if not I'll be picking up my P45!!

2 Thanks given to reverend

Mr.James (1st September 2013),  Over Carl (17th August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    The thing I really liked about it was the transparent RAM pages, which is essentially RAM de-dupe, but after reading up it needs a mo-bo that supports it... And I'm pretty sure no home NAS type mo-bo will. It's a shame because that could really up the density of VMs per host.
    Is that extended / nested page tables mate? TPS should work without that anyway when overcommitted as it just scans the pages every hour I think it is by default and sees which match.

AMD also tend to have full RVI support in all their cheap stuff anyway pretty much, unlike Intel who are a bloody nightmare for ripping out bits you want out of their CPUs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    Is that extended / nested page tables mate? TPS should work without that anyway when overcommitted as it just scans the pages every hour I think it is by default and sees which match.

AMD also tend to have full RVI support in all their cheap stuff anyway pretty much, unlike Intel who are a bloody nightmare for ripping out bits you want out of their CPUs.
    It's this thing: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1021095

Just re-read it and it only kicks in when you're over committed anyway. It's essentially gets rid of duplicated RAM so you can over-commit without actually overcommitting.

My setup's Intel all the way... i3 too, so yeah, one with all the virtualization stuff ripped out lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

My server is ancient (Xeon 5300's) so doesn't support SLAT. I found as long as I could install VMware tools on the majority of my vm's it would work fine overallocated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

unRaid is not like a conventional RAID 5 or RAID 2 setup. Its just a bunch of disks with an additional disk which is set solely for Parity.

It allows for a cache drive which is not part of the parity so any transfers over LAN are bottled at around 110Mbps or however good your Cache disk is. At the end of the day unraid moves anything from the cache onto the master disks so parity is created which is a slow copy.

The only thing I did not like about esxi was that you need to have a disk to create your first VM. Unraid boots of a USB stick but esxi has no facility to create an image on the memory stick on which its installed on.

So once my Unraid was running I could mount the cache drive as storage for esxi to create more VMs. Which are running great no real loss of performance.

I have GB LAN to the box it self but between the VMS its 10Gig.

I dont see the need for performance for storing movies and media. As long as I have redundancy the performance of the Storage is not really important. Unraid read speeds are as quick as the individual disk can go. Only write speeds are effected because it builds parity. So around 30Mbps.

Just remember for ESXI pass through;
    your motherboard must support it.
    Your CPU must support VT-D
    RAID card it self should be checked for compatibility.

Thanks to eblaster101

Over Carl (17th August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

So once my Unraid was running I could mount the cache drive as storage for esxi to create more VMs. Which are running great no real loss of performance.

so how do you go about automating the start up of your VM's via esxi? or is it done manually

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi its done automatically. You can set a delay for machines to start after a specific time. This is only required if you loose power to your box. I recommend getting a UPS in case of a powercut.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Need a bit of advice....

Been offered 2 servers both 32gb ram with 3 SAS drives ( Dont know sizes yet but highish )

1 is a dual xeon quad core processors ( 8 cores total ) and the other is an I7 single chip server ( again not sure on speeds of the processors )

Obviously the xeon server is older and the i7 chipset is newer but not sure which to go for. Doing my MSCA Windows Server 2012 so need to build labs to work on at home..

Thanks
    Karma Level

It might be worth trying to find out the exact CPU types first mate as if it's an older Xeon it won't do EPT so RemoteFX won't work on it.

Likewise some of the i7shave some features removed you may want to take advantage of.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also even if you just need cpu grunt, it's not obvious which one will have more.

Just had a look out of interest and apparently my ancient pair of quad 54xx's should still beat some single i7's.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/multi_cpu.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is why Im asking. Could always get the i7 and then fit a dual board in and another processor if needed.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast