Close

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Show us your servers / NAS boxes!

Depends - if it's a server from the big names like HP/IBM/Dell, you probably won't be able to replace the motherboard as they normally use non standard size boards that often only fit one particular model and may have strange internals like riser cards for pcie or ram, daughter/mezzanine boards for remote access/raid or strange power connectors. If it's a Supermicro or whitebox server you may have better luck but I would still look into it carefully if that's what you plan to do.

I doubt you would need 2 x i7's for your intended purpose, but once you have a vm host running, it's very easy to start thinking about how many more vm's you want to run.

Another thing you may want to consider now before putting the plan into action is memory. VMware is better if you wish to overallocate resources but isn't part of the syllabus while HyperV is. If you are using HyperV you will probably need a bit more RAM.

I believe you can run HyperV nested inside VMware, but you need a server with SLAT features which definitely rules out the dual quad and I have no idea what the performance would be like. Also check whether RemoteFX is on your syllabus as that requires SLAT.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 27th August 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I know he said its not a standard PSU so would guess its not a standard board either. Will know more on thursday as hes getting me cpu specs ect

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can only run a single i7 - unless it's an E7?

With Xeons you have one E3, two E5s and then the E7s are the ones which scale to more sockets.

I built a new box the other day which is an i7 4770 and that thing flies - for single threaded stuff it's 30% quicker than the new dual E5-2670 boxes I got last week although that is Haswell vs Sandy Bridge helping that

What about building a cheap E3 v3 box as that's also a nice little option? The E5 v2s should be officially announced soon but they're still a generation behind (Ivy Bridge).

Thanks
    Karma Level

The xeon server has 2 e5506 2.13mhz processors in it with 32gb ram and 2tb sas drives.

He thinks he sold the I7 servers...

Thanks
    Karma Level

How much are you looking at spending on the server mate? The E5506 aren't bad, but don't spend too much on that one.

That's a decent amount of memory though and you could host quite a few VMs on that as it's 8 cores in total with no HT and it's lower power too?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its in a 2U case and Im getting it dirt cheap... as in £100. (He deals in waste management for IT sectors and I do repair work for him)

I know its worth at least 6 times more than that.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can he get other cases?

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

No thats the only one he has

Thanks
    Karma Level

For that price it would be rude not to!

Thanks
    Karma Level

For the price of a night out it's definitely worth it - the disks and memory will be worth more than that. It should do RemoteFX too if you ever want to have a tinker

IT waste management is a right old business - they get paid to take kit away, provide a certificate saying the data was destroyed accordingly and then they sell it on again!

A few years ago we worked on a project for the government and afterwards we wanted to give all the desktops (either with Blanco'd disks or minus disks) to charity - it was blocked and they sold all the kit on to a large company you see in trouble a lot on The Register who just charged £100 a unit to take it away and then they sold it on. Easy money!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh and don't be too disappointed as the E5506 is Gainestown which in it's consumer form was known as the i7

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah nice.

Already decided to bite his hand off so just wanted to know which processor would be better and seeing he has sold the I7 it kinda made my mind up anyway lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    Personally I use both hypervisors at home and they've both got their place. If you are tighter on resources then ESXi should be the default choice as it needs less resources for the host.
    I actually bit the bullet last night and went with ESXi. Had to spend about two hours faffing about building a customised ISO because the vanilla one wouldn't recognise my network card. After getting it installed it lasted all of about 15 minutes before I flattened it and stuck hyper-v on instead.

The deal breaker for me was no pass-through HDDs. I simply put a new boot volume in my system and wanted to pass through all the original disks to a VM to get my original box up and kicking. There's no way I'm faffing about trying to get 4.5TB of stuff into some VHDs.

Anyway, hyper-v got installed last night. My old box, running as a new VM was done this morning. Took about an hour in total. Was a lot easier than I expected it was gonna be :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do you think a 24 bay hot swap server case is worth it for home use? Or is a 12 bay hot swap server case a better idea?

I'm not sure what to buy? Especially when hard drives sizes are almost at 5TB in size, not that I will be buying 5TBs when they first come out lol, £££££.

I need to upgrade my current NAS asap to a case like the LIAN LI PC-Q25B but hot swap drives are a must to be honest, especially due to only having the use of one arm...

I have three Intel M1050's that I can use, but that comes down to my case choice. I think that I will probably sell these cards and buy one RAID card as it will use less power, which is a high priority for me.

What would you advice? A 12 bay hot swap rack mount case or a 24 bay hot swap case? I was going to go with a standard case but due to the fact that I cannot easily swap/add hard drives with one hand I have to go with a hot swap case. I also need a case that has room grow in size..

Would you just go the full way and buy a 24 bay case? I'm just thinking about the wasted power for the back plates although it is minimal.

Undecided.
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

IMO it's all about requirements. If you need 12, get that. If you need 24 then go with that instead. I try to not over spec spec stuff if it's not required. Ultimately you're just paying for stuff you don't need. If you do need it further down the line, buy it then. Chances are it will be a fair bit cheaper due to the depreciation rate of computers. Or if the price is the same you'll get more bang for the same price because the spec will be improved... Admittedly that prob doesn't apply to cases as it's just a big metal box.

The question I'd have is it worth splurging the extra cash on one RAID card to do it all vs keeping the ones you've got? Say it's £5 a month cheaper to run, but costs £200 to upgrade, you're not gonna start to see a saving until you're nearly 3 1/2 years down the road. By which time you might be looking to change your setup again.

Thanks to Mr.James

Rick Sanchez (2nd September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've finally found a suitable case! I am going to purchase the NSC-800 NAS as it holds 8x 3.5 drives (hot swap; SATA/SAS), 3x internal 2.5".

http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.p...t=0&featured=Y

Cheapest I've found it in the UK is £214.80 - http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_0790.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd check the airflow on the hard drives. I had a case where I had 6 hard drives packed in like that and the airflow was poor so the ones in the middle were getting way too hot and packing up at an alarming rate...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok mate. I'm trying to find a video review at the moment with no joy! What would you suggest case wise?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm, good question. You can get cases for loads of drives made by Norco which are popular for home servers but I don't know if they do hotswap bays and reviews often say the stuff is quite cheaply made.

Supermicro make stuff for people intending to make their own servers and have a good range.

I once made a storage server from a 743 chassis but wasn't too happy with the result - one front usb port broke on first usage, then it dropped a drive from a raid for no apparent reason - could have been the backplanes fault but also could have been the raid controller or drive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure what I'd suggest case wise. I'd prob go for something like that over something larger personally. I like compact. I'd just make sure to fill it spacing the HDDs so that every other slot was empty when I first started loading it. Possibly sticking some 2.5" drives in to allow more air to be sucked in through the front unless I really needed the added capacity.

Another thing to consider is that it may have room for 11 SATA drives in total, but it's a mini-ITX case.

That means your motherboard will come with a max of 6x SATA ports and one PCI-E expansion slot. If you want to fill the case, you'll need to stick an add-in 4x SATA port add in card. This could limit your future expansion options.

Also make sure the power supply you get will be capable of powering a fully loaded rig. It won't take a standard ATX supply due to the space.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast