Close

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Show us your servers / NAS boxes!

Are these new 5 and 6TB drives the helium filled ones? As I've heard they don't like being in NAS environments due to heat etc..

I lost the main storage on my N54L at the weekend and have rebuilt it to 2012R2 and copied everything back.

I was using single instance storage on the 2008R2 box but that was only down to the file level - on 2012R2 I've configured a new Storage Space across the 4x 2TB disks and enabled dedupe which now works on blocks for files above 32KB.

I was seeing minimal savings before but so far (it's still running as the 5.5TB data copy took 21 hours) it's saved me almost 300GB.

Very happy so far with that!

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Likely to be helium. Which case would you pick mate and why?

I'm running UnRAID Pro
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your biggest issue will be heat mate - maybe it would be worth getting the 24 bay case so that you could leave more space between the disks, i.e. populate rows 1 and 3 for the first 12 bays and see how you get on.

Had a look at that 24 bay case and the Norco equivalent gets decent enough reviews and your third link is a newer version of that.

The Supermicro cases are nice, but they do cost more.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The cases are produced by Norco's manufacturer but are the latest version

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've emailed them regarding heat concerns, when they reply I'll update the page
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

4gb ram and 8x usb3 pci-express low profile upgrade

Thanks
    Karma Level

Enough USB ports? What's the spec / power drain and use?

Reverend; this was my email and their reply

Hi Jon,
    We sell most days a fully populated system in a 212, 316.424 and many of these are 24/7 in London.
    It's difficult to give an idea because the fans are controlled by the motherboard BIOS or IPMI in a supermicro. If you want a low noise solution and the fans are set to run low then the drives will be warmer than if they are set to run at a medium speed. However I don't know in any instance that any customer has had a problem based on hard drives. Only problem was with Pinewood who sent a system to a very hot country and the video cards they fitted where getting warm. That was cured when they changed the BIOS to increase the fan speed.

Ian James
    Sales@xcase.co.uk
    www.xcase.co.uk
    T: 01908 311313
    M: 07833259200

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Jonathan Hill wrote:

Dear Sirs,

I am very interested in purchasing a the RM212 Pro but I am concerned about the heat when fully populated. Do you have any stats or video tests available regarding fully populated twelve bay case doing a couple of tasks e.g. streaming or data backup.

Kind Regards,
    Jon

Thanks
    Karma Level

Running 1x1tb and 3x4tb on internal slots, blu-ray burner in top bay
    Then 4x Hitachi 4tb and 2x porsche 4tb (all usb3)

Not tested power drain - the usb3 boards take a sata power line each

running server 2012 r2

only £10.25 each if anyones interested: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1908976755...84.m1439.l2649

3 Thanks given to raelmadrid

moonrat (19th February 2014),  Rick Sanchez (21st February 2014),  Spennyboy (19th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

37TB of storage (if my maths is correct) !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to moonrat

raelmadrid (19th February 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Reverend; this was my email and their reply
    Have to admit I'd go with your third XCase option then - it's a beast and you can grow into it for not a massive amount more than the 12 bay

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just been offered:

Supermicro X9SCM-F and i3 3220 CPU brand new [Boxed] for £175 inc VAT and P&P.

Should I grab it? No Vt-d though but I could always sell the i3 for something with Vt-d. Is the board better than the AsRock E3C226D2I? Which is £155 through Amazon.

Going to be using ESXi or Hyper-V. Most likely Hyper-V as I'm assuming it is a lot easier.

Uses: The same as the first post
    Last edited by Rick Sanchez; 17th March 2014 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's a quick comparison of basic specs:

CPU:Supermicro = Socket LGA1155, AS Rock= LGA1150
    RAM: Supermicro = 32Gb Max, AS Rock= 16Gb Max
    SATA/RAID: Supermicro = Intel C204 (2x6Gb RAID 0,1 + 4x3Gb RAID 0,1,5,10) AS Rock = Intel C226 (6 ports, SATA 6Gb, RAID 0,1,5,10)
    Network: Supermicro = 2 x Gb (82579LM+82574L) , AS Rock = 2 x Gb (2 x i210 with teaming)
    Management: Supermicro = IPMI + KVM. AS Rock = IPMI
    Scalability: Supermicro = 2xPCI-E 3.0 x8 + 2xPCI-I 2.0 x8 AS Rock= 1 x PCI-E 3.0 x16

Personally I would go for the Supermicro - can't really imagine putting together an ESXi/Hyper-V host with less than 16Gb RAM.

KVM with IPMI can be handy for remote management.

Also if you decide you want to add a decent RAID controller and another NIC (or even a quad port or something), you would need at least 2 x PCI-E slots. For RAID controllers and NIC's, a x8 slot will do fine.

Also there's one final reason I would go Supermicro. General accepted best practise if you really depend on a server, you don't build it, you buy it with warranty from Dell,HP, Lenovo, etc. However, for those building their own, Supermicro is probably the only vendor which actually offers a decent range of suitable equipment that is actually intended for usage as a server from the ground up, as opposed to some boards I've seen by other makers which seem to have features normally found on servers that have been added to consumer grade mobos. I believe a few of the major server manufacturers actually rebrand Supermicro kit for certain product lines.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 17th March 2014 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Here's a quick comparison of basic specs:

CPU:Supermicro = Socket LGA1155, AS Rock= LGA1150
    Supermicro = 1
    Asrock = 0

RAM: Supermicro = 32Gb Max, AS Rock= 16Gb Max
    Supermicro = 2
    Asrock = 0

SATA/RAID: Supermicro = Intel C204 (2x6Gb RAID 0,1 + 4x3Gb RAID 0,1,5,10) AS Rock = Intel C226 (6 ports, SATA 6Gb, RAID 0,1,5,10)
    Supermicro = 2
    Asrock = 1

This is the feature that I like the most. The more onboard SATA connections the better as it uses a lot less power.

Network: Supermicro = 2 x Gb (82579LM+82574L) , AS Rock = 2 x Gb (2 x i210 with teaming)
    No idea what is better.

Scalability: Supermicro = 2xPCI-E 3.0 x8 + 2xPCI-I 2.0 x8 AS Rock= 1 x PCI-E 3.0 x16

Personally I would go for the Supermicro - can't really imagine putting together an ESXi/Hyper-V host with less than 16Gb RAM.

KVM with IPMI can be handy for remote management.
    Surely I'd only need 32Gb of RAM if I was running lots of VMs?

Also if you decide you want to add a decent RAID controller and another NIC (or even a quad port or something), you would need at least 2 x PCI-E slots. For RAID controllers and NIC's, a x8 slot will do fine.
    I currently have a M1015. I'm trying to keep addon hardware to an absolute minimum as I am trying to keep power to an absolute minimum

Also there's one final reason I would go Supermicro. General accepted best practise if you really depend on a server, you don't build it, you buy it with warranty from Dell,HP, Lenovo, etc. However, for those building their own, Supermicro is probably the only vendor which actually offers a decent range of suitable equipment that is actually intended for usage as a server from the ground up, as opposed to some boards I've seen by other makers which seem to have features normally found on servers that have been added to consumer grade mobos. I believe a few of the major server manufacturers actually rebrand Supermicro kit for certain product lines.
    Ok, thanks for your input Carl

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I'm not a great fan of Hyper-V mate - it's definitely better with 2012 onwards but they're still playing catch up with VMware IMHO. They've got massive traction at the moment because it's free - and no matter how many times you advise management that in the grand old scheme of things they'd be saving money due to the advanced features of VMware they only care about free.

Do you actually need VT-d for presenting hardware directly (passthrough) to VMs?

MS and VMware take different approaches to the same problems - personally I prefer the way that VMware do a lot of things but that's more than likely because I use it everyday and know it well. Hyper-V I'm doing some consulting on at the moment and it keeps frustrating me that it can't do certain things out of the box which is making my life a ball ache - for stuff at home you'd more than likely be happy with either tbh.

In terms of the NICs the I210 is the newer Intel chip - the 82579LM is more consumer grade and the 82574L is more the server grade chip which supports VLAN tagging etc. I think the box I'm running is an I210 and I had to amend the ESXi ISO to support the onboard ethernet (can't remember if it was that or the onboard SATA!) Again to be honest for 99% of things you more than likely wouldn't notice the difference at home between any of them.

The i3 is ok but only dual core - it would start to struggle as you started to ramp up the VM count and if possible you'd be better off with an i5 - actually have you looked at the E3 range of CPUs as they'd be fine for a single socket board, have you looked at something like an E3-1230v3 as that does everything you'd want?

What is it you really want do with the system mate?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    Do you actually need VT-d for presenting hardware directly (passthrough) to VMs?

What is it you really want do with the system mate?
    I don't think I really know, I keep chopping and changing my mind. I want a box that can run UnRAID with twelve hard drives max and run VMs but at this moment I can't remember why...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Network: Supermicro = 2 x Gb (82579LM+82574L)
    I have the 82579LM card in my server. There are no server drivers as it's not a server grade card. VMware can't install because of this. Windows drivers need to be hacked to get them it working so it's a bit of a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got an i3-3220T in my server. VT-d isn't required to pass-through disk drives to VMs as I have 3 disks passed directly to one of my VMs.

The only reason you'd need it would be if you wanted to directly pass-through the M1015 card to a single VM. Doing so would give a slight performance increase on throughput and reduce CPU utilization.

There's a blog on the Intel site with some questions to answer so you can asses whether you need it or not, I'd hazard a guess that you won't unless you've got a heavily utilized system:
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...alized-system/

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My new File/Plex Server. Quite humble, but does everything I need.
    Don't want all this rack mount lark as space an issue at my place.

Windows 2012 R2 - Phenom II X4 805 2.5Ghz - 8GB RAM - 6x 2TB + 1x 500GB.
    Will find it's new home above my TV on the shelf once my new silent SilverStone PSU arrives.
    Want to get hold of a Antec Veris for the other 5 1/2" slot, but hard to find.

2014-03-17 16.32.01.jpg2014-03-17 16.32.13.jpg2014-03-17 16.32.19.jpg

@evilsatan
    Yeah, I went and bought it and it's a beaut!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    Personally I'm not a great fan of Hyper-V mate - it's definitely better with 2012 onwards but they're still playing catch up with VMware IMHO. They've got massive traction at the moment because it's free - and no matter how many times you advise management that in the grand old scheme of things they'd be saving money due to the advanced features of VMware they only care about free.
    Have you given 2012R2 a go yet? It's head and shoulders above all the previous versions of hyper-v and the feature set comparison shows it's now surpassing VMWare in certain areas (admittedly it's a TechNet post so prob biased to Hyper-V): http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmaye...x#.UyjK_7tF3IU

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's a lovely case mate. How many drives can that hold at once and what's the power consumption like? I currently have two separate boxes; media centre and NAS but and all in one solution would be great if possible

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast