Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ghosts ? Do you believe in them ?

Get your self a smudge stick and give it ago.

Cheapreefer on instagram

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

when i was little the house we lived in had some strange going on's. I used to see a young boy go from one room to another and downstairs when there was nobody there I could hear children talking, could never work out what they was saying just kids playful voices. as soon as you put your hand on the door it went quiet.

I was only young but it never scared me and when i told my mum about it she just dismissed it and my mind playing tricks on me. years later when i was older i found out she had also heard the children playing but didnt want to scare me.

Also apparently i used to talk to my granddad who had died when i was 1.

Do i believe in ghosts? yeah theres something strange out there.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

2 Thanks given to bbshark

beaconboy (9th May 2013),  rusty (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    What if you're an Atheist? Wouldn't that be like subscribing to the belief in some sort of Religious regime, rather than it could be a phenomenon that's out the realms of such beliefs? I suppose though, like you say, nothing to lose.
    If you're an atheist you shouldn't be believing in spirits in the first place... and if you do [believe in spirits] then you're not technically an atheist. Its a mutually exclusive argument.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Why jump to ghosts as an answer for strange phenomenon? Why not an invisible Noel Edmonds?

I don't get where the idea that things must be caused by a reanimated mostly invisible semi tangible bizzarely behaved dead person comes from as opposed to any other answer.
    Last edited by Mule; 9th May 2013 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    If you're an atheist you shouldn't be believing in spirits in the first place... and if you do [believe in spirits] then you're not technically an atheist. Its a mutually exclusive argument.
    That's bollocks.

Believing in spirits and believing in God are not the same thing. Believing a person's energy (or spirit) can live on doesn't mean you have to believe a God created us all.

Also, in complete contrast, the God botherer at my work says ghosts can't exist because there is no mention of them in the bible. What it does say (apparently) is that when you die, you are judged and go to heaven or hell, and there's no in between.

Catholics believe in purgatory where spirits exist before they get to heaven and they stay on earth until they're allowed into heaven. He says that doesn't really exist either (again coz it's not referenced in the bible) and has been made up by Catholics.

Thanks to Mr.James

beaconboy (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    That's bollocks.

Believing in spirits and believing in God are not the same thing. Believing a person's energy (or spirit) can live on doesn't mean you have to believe a God created us all.
    Do Atheists believe in ghosts or spirits?

Question::
    Do atheists believe in ghosts, spirits, karma etc.?

Atheist Answer:
    No. Atheism by strict definition is the lack of a belief in gods, but it's generally extended to the lack of a belief in any supernatural entity or substance. That includes ghosts, spirits, souls, angels, demons, vampires, elves, boogeymen, unicorns, phoenixes and the energies of karma, chi, the Holy Spirit, life-force or The Force.

Ask the atheist

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Atheist Answer:
    No. Atheism by strict definition is the lack of a belief in gods, but it's generally extended to the lack of a belief in any supernatural entity or substance. That includes ghosts, spirits, souls, angels, demons, vampires, elves, boogeymen, unicorns, phoenixes and the energies of karma, chi, the Holy Spirit, life-force or The Force.

Ask the atheist
    It's still bollocks

Thanks to Mule

Detector (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

do i believe in ghosts, well think something is there

couple of things that happen in my house

daugther kept a pair of her baby socks on her radiator in her room
    when mrs washed them 1 sock disappear, years later we were all sitting watching tv and the sock was suddenly there on the floor in the middle of the room
    there was no way anyone could have put it there with out us seeing
    my lad wanted to play pool, when we setup the balls 1 ball was missing we looked for 20 mins for this ball
    it could not be found
    so i put 1 solid colour ball in a pocket so there were 6 of each colour on the table
    we broke we played a few shots, i pocketed a striped ball i get set for my next shot, as i look round the table 6 striped balls on the table
    we count all the balls, the missing ball was now here
    there is no-way we could have missed it
    there are other strange things like this
    it is true, you might not believe, i can only say what has happened to me

2 Thanks given to rusty

beaconboy (9th May 2013),  littlebilly1 (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I completely agree. The only people that will disagree are the "atheists" that believe in ghosts. You're either in 100% or you're not. If you're a Christian, go to fucking church, ot you aren't really a christian. Just someone who believes in god. If you're an atheist, you don't believe in anything. It's a lack of belief. And that includes ghosts and the afterlife.

For the record. I am an Atheist.

That's bollocks.

Also, in complete contrast, the God botherer at my work says ghosts can't exist because there is no mention of them in the bible. What it does say (apparently) is that when you die, you are judged and go to heaven or hell, and there's no in between.

Catholics believe in purgatory where spirits exist before they get to heaven and they stay on earth until they're allowed into heaven. He says that doesn't really exist either (again coz it's not referenced in the bible) and has been made up by Catholics.

When Catholicism was reformed and the Protestant church created. That was done by man (500 years ago), not by god. Your mate at work is an inferior Christian compare to a Catholic. Catholicism is old skool. To use a rap analogy. Catholics are the Sugar Hill Gang, your mate is Soldier Boy.

2 Thanks given to Geko

beaconboy (9th May 2013),  GTI (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im an atheist and dont believe in fuck all I think that Catholics are mad, I know im married to one! The believe in gods etc and ghosts is fine and I think it can help some people but I think its more the people who need something to cling on to or the people that have commited terrible things in their lives or "Sins" as the god botherers like to call it. The bible is a bunch of old wives tales that have been adopted over a couple of 1000 years to sound more and more amazing. History teaches us certain things if you cross reference dates to the bible and with quite an astounding accuracy there are things like the parting of the red sea for example coincides with some massive plate movements that created a huge tsunami and the sea did in fact literally split apart and seem to "Part" then your dad tells you as a kid oh that was moses who parted the sea so they could cross it, rather than tell you it was a natural disaster that could happen at any time and wipe us all out and scare the shit out of him. Thats just one example but there are many in the bible, The whole story of "Jesus Christ" is in MY OWN OPINION just one womans lie that got seriuously out of hand.

As for your missing sock and missing snooker ball, the excuse "There's no way any of us could have missed it!" doesnt quite count as 100% proof that you didnt miss it.

And to use another analogy The Catholics are not the sugar hill gang and protestants are not soilder boy, the catholics are mental...........protestants ......... same. Dont get me started on Jehovas fuckin witnesses, they are Radio fuckin rental

Thanks to Lighty

beaconboy (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am not religious, but even I know about the Holy Trinity... as in the Father, Son and the Holy GHOST. Its all over the bible!!!

However, I think this thread is jumping several steps to the bizarre now...

Step 1) Do ghosts exists?

Well I am very skeptical but willing to consider the possibility

Step 2) If Ghosts exist, is it a purely religious matter?

This is where you loose me, I am prepared to consider the possibility of ghosts but not in a way that is somehow controlled by a magician from your local church.

Step 3) Although people probably have not realised it yet but by suggestion some people on this thread have eluded to... not only may ghosts exist and not only are they somehow controlled by religion... but even further than that it is somehow specifically controlled by a Christian based religion????

What if Beaconboys ghost is a Muslim? Bring in a Vicar and he may have a paranormal Jihad on his hands!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to MsDG

beaconboy (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am Agnostic personally but as MsDG says why is everyone linking this to religion?

Thanks to akimba

beaconboy (9th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I stick to spirits most weekends!

Thanks to JonEp

beaconboy (9th May 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Religon was invented by man, to controll the masses. Tho shalt not kill etc.
    TAR seems to be a decent bloke!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Religon was invented by man, to controll the masses. Tho shalt not kill etc.
    to begin with it was a way early mankind delt with the unknown ... Just like ghosts sone times strange things happen so we have to make a reason for it even if it is as far fetched as ghosts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI

Atheist Answer:

Ask the atheist
    I'm not surprised you cut the quote short. The guy then goes back on this, saying that an atheist can believe in ghosts.

And here's a page that would suggest the description you've quoted is actually known as materialism.

http://www.atheistrev.com/2010/05/at...in-ghosts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    When Catholicism was reformed and the Protestant church created. That was done by man (500 years ago), not by god. Your mate at work is an inferior Christian compare to a Catholic. Catholicism is old skool. To use a rap analogy. Catholics are the Sugar Hill Gang, your mate is Soldier Boy.
    Far from it. He's a proper hardcore extremist Christian. He's believes "if it's not in the bible, it's not God's word because that is the only document that contains Jesus teachings". Catholics make shit up to suit themselves and aren't real Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG
    I am not religious, but even I know about the Holy Trinity... as in the Father, Son and the Holy GHOST. Its all over the bible!!!
    Wow, you must be older than I thought ;-) Ghost used to mean the essence of the dead but now it's more commonly associated with an apparition of the dead so they use the term holy spirit instead nowadays.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally, I'm atheist/agnostic. I don't believe that god exists but I'm open to the idea that it's a possibility. I believe the same about ghosts. They are both unproven/unexplained theories/phenomenon in my eyes but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just like the Higgs-Boson was just a theory until we found a way to prove it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason religion crept into the the thread is because the topic of exorcism was brought up. Exorcisms are usually only carried out by people with religious training (e.g. Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu). Which puts atheists with a ghost pest problem in a rather difficult position.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

get some CCTV up whilst the work is going on.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason religion crept into the the thread is because the topic of exorcism was brought up. Exorcisms are usually only carried out by people with religious training (e.g. Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu). Which puts atheists with a ghost pest problem in a rather difficult position.
    Atheists have their own exorcisms, they go to skeptics in the pub for answers instead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast