Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Strip lights went off, trip switch turned back on, lights still won't come on

Hi all, 1/3 of my lights have gone off in my shop. The rest are still on. The trip switch was turned off, but when I turn it on again the lights still won't come on.

I've tried replacing the strip light and starter in case they were blown but they still won't come on.

I'm no electrician so haven't a clue but i'm guessing its a fuse for that particular circuit for those lights? Do I need to remove the cover off the trip switch box?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Strip lights went off, trip switch turned back on, lights still won't come on

Yes, should be individual fuses for the lights, sockets etc, etc. cover on the condumer unit usually flips down to reveal the fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Strip lights went off, trip switch turned back on, lights still won't come on

Cheers mate, I had a look but it needs to be screwed off, just didn't wanna mess with it in case I was looking at the wrong thing

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Cheers mate, I had a look but it needs to be screwed off, just didn't wanna mess with it in case I was looking at the wrong thing
    Normally don't need to be screwed off with a screwdriver. Maybe one small thumbscrew to unscrew on the older boxes. Post a photo of the fusebox. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's a pic of the trip switch box, was the 3rd switch from the end that tripped off

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

U need to check the voltage in the fittings that don't work. Are all the lights in the shop of 1 switch?

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are no fuses. You don't need to remove the cover. If you've replaced the fitting and they aren't coming on, something more difficult to diagnose is the fault. Do you have a multi-meter?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Scooby, no the lights are over 4 switches (2 x double switches). No Geko, no multi-meter

Thanks
    Karma Level

check switches, one might be faulty,also lighs might be fed of a hidden fused spur unit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

from your photo im trying to see whats written under the red lights,looks like socket,so maybe lights plugged into a socket somewhere.only guessing,if i stayed a bit closer would come round f.o.c.
    Last edited by ferarrifeet; 11th May 2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks to ferarrifeet

dannyboy (11th May 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you need someone to check it out. You don't seem to know what you are looking for, or how to identify it.

Thanks to scoobypatch

dannyboy (11th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ferarrifeet View Post
    from your photo im trying to see whats written under the red lights,looks like socket,so maybe lights plugged into a socket somewhere.only guessing,if i stayed a bit closer would come round f.o.c.
    Would someone run a mains ring on a 6a fuse?

Thanks to Geko

dannyboy (11th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, I do have a customer come in every few days who's an electrician so I'll get him to have a look. I've been in the shop 5 years now though and never had this problem.

I'll get him to have a look anyway

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Would someone run a mains ring on a 6a fuse?
    Nothing would surprise me.

I know a qualified electrician that run an 8kw shower from a 15 amp fuse. He almost burnt the house down. He didn't want to take any chances with a shower (electricity & water and him standing in it), so he fitted a 15 amp fuse when he installed his shower unit. He probably didn't have the shower on full flow so the shower heater element was cycling on and off so the fuse wire was glowing almost red hot but not quite blowing before cooling down again. The bakelite fuse holder however was storing this heat and getting hotter and hotter until the fuse box caught fire.

He came in to work on the Monday morning and told me he almost had a fire under the stairs. He told me the fuse box was burnt and charred next to the shower fuse. He then said "I don't know how this has happened. All connections were tight and I fitted a 15 amp fuse just to be on the safe side". I had a pretty clear idea what must have happened but when I tried to explain the above to him he just couldn't see it. (">