Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Reality Official - You will be guilty until proven innocent and then guilty still!!

This is fucking outrageous! What a fucking silly cow!

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22565675

Theresa May: Police should confirm arrest names to media

The home secretary had previously said suspects arrested but not charged had a "right to anonymity"

The police should confirm the identity of suspects who have been arrested but not charged if journalists ask them to do so, Theresa May has said.
    The home secretary previously said people should not be named on arrest unless it was in the "public interest".
    But, in an article for the Sun, Mrs May said: "Where the press has already identified the suspect... the police should confirm it."
    It comes after PM David Cameron said the issue had "no simple answer".
    Speaking during a trip to the US, he said there was a "difficult balance" between publicising arrests and respecting the privacy of suspects.
    His comments followed a letter written by Mrs May, and addressed to the College of Policing, which said suspects should have anonymity when they are arrested.

Where the press have already identified the suspect, and asked for confirmation from police, the police should confirm it”
    Theresa MayHome secretary

Her follow-up article said there were arguments in favour of withholding the identity of a suspect until they have been charged.
    "The case for arrest is often no more than an officer's suspicion," she wrote. "But mud sticks. An arrest which turns out to be based on nothing at all can nevertheless permanently damage an individual's reputation.
    "There is, however, also a case for making the names of those arrested public. It can also lead to further witnesses coming forward.
    "And where the press have already identified the suspect, and asked for confirmation from police, the police should confirm it.
    "There should be a presumption of transparency throughout the system."
    'Tatters'Mrs May's previous letter had said: "I believe that there should be a right to anonymity at arrest, but I know that there will be circumstances in which the public interest means that an arrested suspect should be named."

Mr Jefferies said journalists had cast him as "seedy and disreputable"

This statement won the backing of Chris Jefferies, the retired teacher who was awarded "substantial" undisclosed libel damages in 2011 after eight newspapers wrongly linked him to the murder of Joanna Yeates.
    He had been arrested on suspicion of her murder, but was released without charge. Dutch national Vincent Tabak was later convicted of the crime.
    "Unless there are exceptional circumstances which require that somebody is named at the time of arrest, then the name of the person who has been arrested should not be given out, and the name should be released only at the point when somebody is charged," Mr Jefferies agreed.
    In an interview with BBC Breakfast, Mr Jefferies said his identity became known after reporters suggested possible names of suspects to police at the front desk of the station where he was being held.
    "My name was confirmed and as a result of that we know what happened," he said.
    "The press became convinced that I was actually the murderer.
    "I had to go into hiding for three months in order to escape the attentions of the press, and as far as most people in the country were aware, until the actual murderer was arrested and eventually confessed, there was still suspicion hanging over me, so my reputation was completely in tatters."
    We all make mistakes sometimes

2 Thanks given to Goldberg

Bald Bouncer (17th May 2013),  elephantsoup (18th May 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Official - You will be guilty until proven innocent and then guilty still!!

hardly surprising the woman lives on a different planet to the rest of us, like most of them
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Official - You will be guilty until proven innocent and then guilty still!!

To originally come out with "The home secretary had previously said suspects arrested but not charged had a "right to anonymity"

Now she is basically inviting the press to pay for details. What happened to the Data Protection act?

Thanks to Goldberg

Bald Bouncer (17th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Now she is basically inviting the press to pay for details. What happened to the Data Protection act?
    Isn't that what the whole press scandal was about????

Shes on cloud fucking cookoo land...

Wonder what the artist taxi driver has to say...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep, I cannot wait to here his say on this!

It is a complete invasion of privacy!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure these people are havin a comp to see who can come up with the most bizarre policies to incite riots among the people