Close

Thread: The Flu

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Flu

A couple of months back at the quacks office I saw a sign for the Flu Jab. At the time I must have considered it for about 5 seconds as normally I get good dose of flu at least once a year, but in the end brushed it off.

Woe is me, sat here at home suffering from the worst case of man flu there is.

Has anybody had this jab and if so, does it work? I always thought Flu was similar to the cold in that there's no real cure or inoculation?
    "The Internet" is an acronym for "Totally Free"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Flu

They may not prevent infection but can reduce the severity of the attack. (">

How do flu vaccines work?

Flu vaccines (the flu shot and the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV)) cause antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are in the vaccine.
    The seasonal flu vaccine protects against three influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season. Three kinds of influenza viruses commonly circulate among people today: influenza B viruses, influenza A (H1N1) viruses, and influenza A (H3N2) viruses. Each year, one flu virus of each kind is used to produce seasonal influenza vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Thanks to BigBird

g_wizkid (26th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

my mrs & daughter get these jabs each year, does stop the worst effects of flu
    and although they say should be ok, some years it does bring on flu type illness in my mrs within days of having the jab

Thanks to rusty

g_wizkid (26th May 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to make flu vaccine for Novartis in Liverrpool. The flu virus is injected into incubated eggs where it multiplies. It is extracted and then a chemical process is used to inactivate the virus, stripping it of its ability to infect. It is blended with other strains of the virus and shipped out to be injected. When injected, your immune system will build up a resistance to the strain(s) without actually being infected. I doubt you've got the Flu anyway. If you did, you wouldn't have the energy to be asking if the vaccine worked.

3 Thanks given to TJB

Detector (29th May 2013),  g_wizkid (26th May 2013),  Zoots (26th May 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by g_wizkid View Post
    Has anybody had this jab and if so, does it work?
    I laughed at this, but then I remembered that the NHS offers homeopathy as a treatment.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I doubt you've got the Flu anyway. If you did, you wouldn't have the energy to be asking if the vaccine worked.
    I'm on the back end of it, but 2 days ago I could not move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The Internet" is an acronym for "Totally Free"

Social Networking Bookmarks