Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fukushima nuclear disaster - News blackout...

Ah but it wasn't BPs oil rig

Sent from my Nexus 4
    http://www.fusionhost.co.uk
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hilljd00 View Post
    Ah but it wasn't BPs oil rig
    It is, isn't it?

The Macondo prospect is situated on Mississippi Canyon block 252 (MC 252), offshore Louisiana, Gulf of Mexico, USA, and is owned and operated by British Petroleum (BP).

http://www.offshore-technology.com/p...condoprospect/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    It is, isn't it?
    BP was the operator and principal developer of the Macondo Prospect with a 65% share, while 25% was owned by Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, and 10% by MOEX Offshore 2007, a unit of Mitsui.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So yeah, they do own it then, being the majority shareholders n all.

Looks like they're about to start extracting the fuel rods. My relative described the task as 'trying to remove 20 wet cigarettes from a pack'

I've tried that, they just break every time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24843657

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Japanese lawmaker reprimanded for approaching emperor

Japanese businessman Seijiro Takeshita said the MP's protest had "definitely crossed the line"

A member of the Japanese parliament has been reprimanded for attempting to involve the emperor in politics.
    Taro Yamamoto is to be barred from future events at the Imperial Palace after handing a letter to Emperor Akihito about the impact of the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
    Such contact is taboo in Japan, where the emperor is seen as a figurehead with no political role.
    Mr Yamamoto has expressed regret but rejected calls for his resignation.
    Japanese television stations have aired footage of the newly elected member of the Upper House making his approach to the emperor at an annual autumn garden party at the palace.
    He hands over a letter, drawing the emperor's attention to the impact on health of the Fukushima disaster, which led to the evacuation of 150,000 people from the area around the plant that was damaged by an earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
    The letter was quickly taken by a member of the Imperial Household Agency, which later described the approach as inappropriate.

Strict protocol

It led to an outcry in a country where the emperor's role remains highly sensitive nearly 70 years after Emperor Akihito's father renounced his divine status at the end of World War Two.
    The American occupation forces allowed him to remain in position but ensured the new constitution allowed no political role for the monarchy in post-war Japan.
    The emperor's public appearances are tightly controlled and governed by strict protocol.
    Some right-wing political groups, however, would like to see him assume a more political role, harking back to the days of Japan's imperial might in the first half of the 20th Century.
    Taro Yamamoto is an actor and anti-nuclear campaigner, who was elected in July as an independent member of parliament.
    He said he accepted that his behaviour had been inappropriate, but that he was frustrated by his efforts to realise his campaign promises on the environment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24865518
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fukishima mascot called 'Fukuppy'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ridge-egg-name

They could never have know how right they were!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Article confirming the use of homeless people in the cleanup effort:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the...n-up-fukushima

Thanks to Mr.James

evilsatan (31st December 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9BT00520131230

Added the link to the original Reuters article.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

im going to build my own Geiger counter in the next few weeks, we eat a lot of fish and sometimes lobster etc and I want to make sure that its not contaminated. you hear too many stories of contamination for my liking.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks to Detector

CallmeGoose (10th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I saw a report earlier, today, that said the radiation leak is 18 times higher than thought...!
    Tepco have come out and admitted that radiation is 5 times higher than estimates:

http://rt.com/news/fukushima-radiati...estimated-143/

Makes me wonder what they mean by estimates, they have equipment which accurately measures it surely?

Thanks
    Karma Level

...and it seems they took 5 months to tell us:
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...40213?irpc=932

Thanks
    Karma Level

Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant leaks radioactive water

The leak is thought to have occurred after a storage tank overflowed

Around 100 tonnes of highly radioactive water have leaked from a storage tank at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant, operator Tokyo Electric (Tepco) says.

The toxic water may have overflowed after a valve was left open by mistake, Tepco said.
    However the water was unlikely to have reached the ocean, the operator added.
    The plant, which was damaged by an earthquake and tsunami in 2011, has faced multiple problems including leaks and power cuts since the disaster.
    The latest leak is the most serious since August, when the plant leaked 300 tonnes of water, prompting Japan's nuclear agency to raise the incident's alert level.

'Contaminated earth'

The water from Wednesday's leak was radioactive, with a reading of 230 million becquerels per litre of radioactive isotopes, Tepco spokesman Masayuki Ono told reporters.
    A becquerel is a unit used to measure radioactivity. WHO guidanceadvises against drinking water with radioactivity levels higher than 10 becquerels per litre.
    Tepco says the radioactive water overflowed from a storage tank on Wednesday, but the leak was not discovered for several hours, the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Tokyo reports.

The operator says the leak occurred when contaminated water was accidentally pumped into a large storage tank that was already full, our correspondent adds.
    "We apologise for worrying the public with such a leak," Mr Ono said. "Water is unlikely to have reached the ocean as there is no drainage in that tank area."
    "We are now in the process of recovering the leaked water and the earth it has contaminated," he added.
    On 11 March 2011, an earthquake and tsunami crippled the plant. Waves knocked out cooling systems for the reactors, leading to meltdowns at three of them.
    Water is being pumped in to cool the reactors. However, this creates large amounts of contaminated water that must be stored securely.
    The Fukushima nuclear power plant suffered a number of setbacks last year, including worker errors and a series of toxic water leaks that have lead to concerns contaminated water is mixing with groundwater that is flowing into the sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26254140

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A Q&A with some nuclear engineers:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comm..._prizewinning/

Thanks to evilsatan

macmilm (6th March 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

On my phone so can't copy/paste it all:
    http://www.i24news.tv/app.php/en/mobile#content/61980

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    On my phone so can't copy/paste it all:
    http://www.i24news.tv/app.php/en/mobile#content/61980
    non mobile link

http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/intern...ukushima-plant

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Fukushima nuclear reactor radiation at highest level since 2011 meltdown
    Extraordinary readings pile pressure on operator Tepco in its efforts to decommission nuclear power station
    Cranes over the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in February 2016
    Cranes over the Fukushima Daiichi plant in February 2016. The decommissioning process is expected to take about four decades Photograph: Toru Yamanaka/AFP/Getty Images
    View more sharing options
    Shares
    Justin McCurry in Tokyo
    Friday 3 February 2017 10.19 GMT Last modified on Friday 3 February 2017 22.00 GMT
    Radiation levels inside a damaged reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station are at their highest since the plant suffered a triple meltdown almost six years ago.

The facility’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), said atmospheric readings as high as 530 sieverts an hour had been recorded inside the containment vessel of reactor No 2, one of three reactors that experienced a meltdown when the plant was crippled by a huge tsunami that struck the north-east coast of Japan in March 2011.

The extraordinary radiation readings highlight the scale of the task confronting thousands of workers, as pressure builds on Tepco to begin decommissioning the plant – a process that is expected to take about four decades.

The recent reading, described by some experts as “unimaginable”, is far higher than the previous record of 73 sieverts an hour in that part of the reactor.

A single dose of one sievert is enough to cause radiation sickness and nausea; 5 sieverts would kill half those exposed to it within a month, and a single dose of 10 sieverts would prove fatal within weeks.

Tepco also said image analysis had revealed a hole in metal grating beneath the same reactor’s pressure vessel. The one-metre-wide hole was probably created by nuclear fuel that melted and then penetrated the vessel after the tsunami knocked out Fukushima Daiichi’s back-up cooling system.

“It may have been caused by nuclear fuel that would have melted and made a hole in the vessel, but it is only a hypothesis at this stage,” Tepco’s spokesman Tatsuhiro Yamagishi told AFP.

“We believe the captured images offer very useful information, but we still need to investigate given that it is very difficult to assume the actual condition inside.”

The presence of dangerously high radiation will complicate efforts to safely dismantle the plant.

A remote-controlled robot that Tepco intends to send into the No 2 reactor’s containment vessel is designed to withstand exposure to a total of 1,000 sieverts, meaning it would survive for less than two hours before malfunctioning.

The firm said radiation was not leaking outside the reactor, adding that the robot would still prove useful since it would move from one spot to the other and encounter radiation of varying levels.

Tepco and its network of partner companies at Fukushima Daiichi have yet to identify the location and condition of melted fuel in the three most seriously damaged reactors. Removing it safely represents a challenge unprecedented in the history of nuclear power.

Quantities of melted fuel are believed to have accumulated at the bottom of the damaged reactors’ containment vessels, but dangerously high radiation has prevented engineers from accurately gauging the state of the fuel deposits.

Earlier this week, the utility released images of dark lumps found beneath reactor No 2 that it believes could be melted uranium fuel rods – the first such discovery since the disaster.

In December, the government said the estimated cost of decommissioning the plant and decontaminating the surrounding area, as well as paying compensation and storing radioactive waste, had risen to 21.5tn yen (£150bn), nearly double an estimate released in 2013.
    source

News title from Tues 24th Jan on CNBC reads "Fukushima radiation levels far lower than previously thought, study finds" :/
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/24/fukus...udy-finds.html

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

Mobileman (5th February 2017),  piggzy (5th February 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a tragedy. It is amazing how they are managing to keep it VERY low key in the Media.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Another reason not to eat sushi IMO, anymore reports on how toxic these coastlines and habitats have been effected sure last one ready fish were carrying ten times an unhealthy dose

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Another reason not to eat sushi IMO, anymore reports on how toxic these coastlines and habitats have been effected sure last one ready fish were carrying ten times an unhealthy dose

I had thought the same but like seafood so am in a predicament... one part of me thought if it was that bad it would be public knowledge but then I thought of the economic impact so a strong case to keep it secret or not invest in the research so they don't have to lie.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post

I had thought the same but like seafood so am in a predicament... one part of me thought if it was that bad it would be public knowledge but then I thought of the economic impact so a strong case to keep it secret or not invest in the research so they don't have to lie.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123