Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fukushima nuclear disaster - News blackout...

This is usually one of my case and points when I have a discussion with people about the media to try and have them open their eyes to the selective reporting to brainwash or skip over more important issues.

Shortly after the disaster in Japan there were reports of some radiation reaching Scotland, not long after that it was all out of the news and we heard nothing more. I found this odd at the time seeing as how it was one of the worst environmental catastrophes to ever happen and it was as if all was now fine and dandy.

I just had a quick search on Google and there are plenty of sources trying to get information into the public domain but it seems the main outlets choose to remain ignorant. There are articles claiming that the Japanese are not handling the waste appropriately, US companies have presented their methods which have been ignored and it sounds as if the waste is, in some cases, being dumped into rivers. Quite scary stuff...

A site against the media blackout:
    http://fukushima-diary.com/tag/media-blackout/

Deadly levels of radiation found in food 225 miles from Fukushima: Media blackout on nuclear fallout continues

Google results:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Fu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks to evilsatan

Ashley (5th June 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fukushima nuclear disaster - News blackout...

That's the sort of thing I was expecting, just odd that the world goes quiet on such an important subject. Usually our media likes to stir it up and frighten the public but to me it seems more worrying that they aren't trying to scare us about it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think they are trying to scare us, but about the wrong things to keep our minds off things like this.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I must admit, it has raised an eyebrow from me too. the radiation that is being leaked into the sea alone will be enough to poison the entire feeding cycle for years to come. it will not be fully known for many years but I see lots of people suffering because of this and not just people in japan either. the Japanese government should stop it leaking for fucks sake now.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    That's the sort of thing I was expecting, just odd that the world goes quiet on such an important subject. Usually our media likes to stir it up and frighten the public but to me it seems more worrying that they aren't trying to scare us about it.
    It's not so much that the world has gone quiet, just that the Japanese are very practiced at cover ups... The people at the very top of government are the ones that are telling all the other countries leaders that everything's fine and these are just paranoid delusions of people wanting to depose the government.

He says that the Japanese are very good at keeping secrets. He told me that back in the day of the samurai, these guys were worshipped like gods. If you didn't bow to one when you should have, or if he didn't even like the look of you, he could decapitate you in the street. If other passing people saw it, they were not allowed to even acknowledge it. A head could be decomposing in the street for weeks and nobody would touch it or even speak about it out of fear. He says that even though the samurai have died out, this is still engrained in their culture and is why a media blackout is so easy in that country.

Thanks to Mr.James

evilsatan (6th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Similar to the bird flu epidemic which coincided with the start of the financial meltdown. There are so many ecological disasters that are hushed up or misrepresented that our grandkids are fucked before they are born.
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fukushima nuclear plant: Radioactive water leak found

IAEA experts have suggested that the cleanup at the nuclear plant could take up to 40 years

Radioactive water is leaking from a storage tank at Japan's Fukushima plant, its operator says.
    Nuclear plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) said a worker discovered the leak on Wednesday.
    On Tuesday, Tepco also announced that it had found radioactive caesium in ground water around the plant.
    The plant was damaged in an earthquake and tsunami in 2011, and has been hit by several leaks and power failures in recent months.
    Hundreds of huge water tanks have been constructed at the site of the plant to store contaminated water used to cool melted reactors cores.
    In a statement, Tepco said the contaminated water was leaking from the storage container at the rate of one drop every three to four seconds.
    While the company said the leak was small, it follows an admission on Tuesday that ground-water around the plant is contaminated.
    Correspondents say this suggests water has been leaking from the plant or storage tanks into the soil - something the company previously said had not happened.
    All of this is going to make it even more difficult for Tepco to convince local fishermen that it is safe for Tepco to start pumping ground water from around the plant in to the ocean, the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Tokyo reports.
    The plant suffered three power failures in five weeks earlier this year. A leak of radioactive water from one of the plant's underground storage pools was also detected in April.
    In April, the UN nuclear watchdog IAEA said the "reliability of essential systems" at the site should be improved.
    On 11 March 2011, an earthquake and tsunami crippled the plant, causing meltdowns at three nuclear reactors.
    Engineers have since stabilised the plant but years of work lie ahead to fully contain the disaster and tackle its effects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22793353
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks to 4me2

Mr.James (7th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Fukushima nuclear plant: Radioactive water leak found

IAEA experts have suggested that the cleanup at the nuclear plant could take up to 40 years
    You heard it here first people ;-)

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's weird, I comment on the blackout then days later a new article! And Mr James calls it too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Further update today saying steam has been seen escaping, means the cooling water is boiling somewhere inside the reactor... Not good!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23419325

Thanks to Mr.James

Ashley (25th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fukushima radioactive water leak an 'emergency'

The crippled Fukushima plant has suffered water leaks and power cuts in recent months

Japan's nuclear watchdog has said the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is facing a new "emergency" caused by a build-up of radioactive groundwater.
    A barrier built to contain the water has already been breached, the Nuclear Regulatory Authority warned.
    This means the amount of contaminated water seeping into the Pacific Ocean could accelerate rapidly, it said.
    There has been spate of water leaks and power failures at the plant, devastated by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
    Its operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco), has been criticised heavily for its lack of transparency over the leaks.

'Weak sense of crisis'

Tepco admitted for the first time last month that radioactive groundwater had breached an underground barrier and been leaking into the sea, but said it was taking steps to prevent it.
    However, the head of a Nuclear Regulatory Authority task force, Shinji Kinjo, told the Reuters news agency on Monday that the countermeasures were only a temporary solution.
    Tepco's "sense of crisis is weak," Mr Kinjo said. "This is why you can't just leave it up to Tepco alone"
    "Right now, we have an emergency," he added.
    If the underground barrier is breached, the watchdog warns, the water could start to seep through shallower areas of earth.
    Once it reaches the surface, it could start to flow "extremely fast", says Mr Kinjo.
    Contaminated water could rise to the ground's surface within three weeks, the Asahi newspaper predicted on Saturday.
    The contaminated water is thought to have come from the 400 tonnes of groundwater pumped into the plant every day to cool the reactors.

Tepco 'in trouble'

Tepco admitted on Friday that a cumulative 20 trillion to 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium may have leaked into the sea since the disaster.
    It has been clear for months now that the operators of the Fukushima plant are in deep trouble, says the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes.
    The only course of action, he continues, is to pump water out. But this has to be stored, and more than 1,000 giant holding tanks surrounding the plant are nearly all full, he adds.
    Tepco said on Monday it plans to start pumping out a further 100 tonnes of groundwater a day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23578859
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks to 4me2

evilsatan (5th August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think they should just nuke the whole site.... Oh wait !!!!

Seriously though there has been a cover up of epic proportions here... but what I don't quite get is that it seems very little is being done about it.. or is it more a case of there is fuck all they can do ?!?!?!?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

for something that sounds so serious its been very down played, very worrying, main problem i see is that this is just the stuff we are hearing about (albeit in a limited fashion), what has happened that they are keeping very close to their chest and we are not aware of
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Interesting read about the issues and clean up efforts:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...30308?irpc=932

Thanks
    Karma Level

I haven't read the link above yet but I will in the morning.

Your all very right in what you're saying, its been downplayed that much in the media that nothing is mentioned in the mainstream news anymore.

There's a really interesting guy called Mike Ruppert who lives in the states. He's done some really interesting articles and documentaries on peak oil and how drug money flows through Wall Street - I'll dig out links if anyone is interested.

But in relation to Fukushima, his last report was something along the lines of a new alloy being developed because the radiation was so intense that it kept destroying the standard robots. Scary stuff!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fukushima leak is 'much worse than we were led to believe'

Faulty seals on the storage tanks at Fukushima are said to be the source of the most recent leak

A nuclear expert has told the BBC that he believes the current water leaks at Fukushima are much worse than the authorities have stated.
    Mycle Schneider is an independent consultant who has previously advised the French and German governments.
    He says water is leaking out all over the site and there are no accurate figures for radiation levels.
    Meanwhile the chairman of Japan's nuclear authority said that he feared there would be further leaks.
    The ongoing problems at the Fukushima plant increased in recent days when the Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) admitted that around 300 tonnes of highly radioactive water had leaked from a storage tank on the site.

Moment of crisis

The Japanese nuclear energy watchdog raised the incident level from one to three on the international scale that measures the severity of atomic accidents.

This was an acknowledgement that the power station was in its greatest crisis since the reactors melted down after the tsunami in 2011.
    But some nuclear experts are concerned that the problem is a good deal worse than either Tepco or the Japanese government are willing to admit.
    They are worried about the enormous quantities of water, used to cool the reactor cores, which are now being stored on site.
    Some 1,000 tanks have been built to hold the water. But these are believed to be at around 85% of their capacity and every day an extra 400 tonnes of water are being added.
    "The quantities of water they are dealing with are absolutely gigantic," said Mycle Schneider, who has consulted widely for a variety of organisations and countries on nuclear issues.
    "What is the worse is the water leakage everywhere else - not just from the tanks. It is leaking out from the basements, it is leaking out from the cracks all over the place. Nobody can measure that.

Satellite images show how the number of water storage tanks has increased in the past two years.

The tanks store contaminated water that has been used to cool the reactors.

"It is much worse than we have been led to believe, much worse," said Mr Schneider, who is lead author for the World Nuclear Industry status reports.
    At news conference, the head of Japan's nuclear regulation authority Shunichi Tanaka appeared to give credence to Mr Schneider's concerns, saying that he feared there would be further leaks.
    ``We should assume that what has happened once could happen again, and prepare for more. We are in a situation where there is no time to waste," he told reporters.
    The lack of clarity about the water situation and the continued attempts by Tepco to deny that water was leaking into the sea has irritated many researchers.
    Dr Ken Buesseler is a senior scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution who has examined the waters around Fukushima.
    "It is not over yet by a long shot, Chernobyl was in many ways a one week fire-explosive event, nothing with the potential of this right on the ocean."
    "We've been saying since 2011 that the reactor site is still leaking whether that's the buildings and the ground water or these new tank releases. There's no way to really contain all of this radioactive water on site."
    "Once it gets into the ground water, like a river flowing to the sea, you can't really stop a ground water flow. You can pump out water, but how many tanks can you keep putting on site?"
    Several scientists also raised concerns about the vulnerability of the huge amount of stored water on site to another earthquake.

Water from the storage tanks has seeped into the groundwater and then into the sea. Efforts to use a chemical barrier to prevent sea contamination have not worked.

New health concerns

The storage problems are compounded by the ingress of ground water, running down from the surrounding hills. It mixes with radioactive water leaking out of the basements of the reactors and then some of it leaches into the sea, despite the best efforts of Tepco to stem the flow.
    Some of the radioactive elements like caesium that are contained in the water can be filtered by the earth. Others are managing to get through and this worries watching experts.
    "Our biggest concern right now is if some of the other isotopes such as strontium 90 which tend to be more mobile, get through these sediments in the ground water," said Dr Buesseler.
    "They are entering the oceans at levels that then will accumulate in seafood and will cause new health concerns."
    There are also worries about the spent nuclear fuel rods that are being cooled and stored in water pools on site. Mycle Schneider says these contain far more radioactive caesium than was emitted during the explosion at Chernobyl.
    "There is absolutely no guarantee that there isn't a crack in the walls of the spent fuel pools. If salt water gets in, the steel bars would be corroded. It would basically explode the walls, and you cannot see that; you can't get close enough to the pools," he said.
    The "worsening situation" at Fukushima has prompted a former Japanese ambassador to Switzerland to call for the withdrawal of Tokyo's Olympic bid.
    In a letter to the UN secretary general, Mitsuhei Murata says the official radiation figures published by Tepco cannot be trusted. He says he is extremely worried about the lack of a sense of crisis in Japan and abroad.
    This view is shared by Mycle Schneider, who is calling for an international taskforce for Fukushima.
    "The Japanese have a problem asking for help. It is a big mistake; they badly need it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23779561

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    I told you so !

I hear you already.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tepco should be removed from the whole operation and contractors brought in

Thanks to raelmadrid

Rick Sanchez (22nd August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23918882

Water leaks from storage tanks emit so much radiation, 4 hours exposure could kill.

Experts reckoning leakage worse than authorities admitting...

Wonder what would happen if another quake/tsunami hits?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw a report earlier, today, that said the radiation leak is 18 times higher than thought...!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast