Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

XboxOne Xbox One's pre-owned and game licensing policies explained

So, the more wakeful or North America-based of you may have noticed that Microsoft attempted to clarify its game licensing policies last night, over on Xbox Newswire. Let's have a quick run-through, shall we? First off, the good stuff. Digital and physical versions of an Xbox One game will be made available on the same day. You'll also be able to access you entire library of games (that's to say, games that are associated with your Xbox Live account) from any Xbox One, downloading a digital copy from the cloud the moment you sign in. Access to games can be shared with anybody inside your home, and you won't need to log in before they can play. "Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games," reads the NewsWire piece. "Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you."

In addition, Xbox One "will enable new forms of access for families" via Xbox Live regardless of location. "Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend's house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games."

By the sounds of it, you'll also be able to play your games in one place while family members are playing them in another. "You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

Now, the not-so-pleasant stuff. Microsoft will not block or attempt to monetise trade-ins via the rumoured "pre-owned fee" - Xbox One "does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games". However, it'll be up to publishers whether they "enable you to trade in your games", and you'll only be able to do so at "participating retailers".

The mechanics of this have yet to be explained.

Microsoft won't block or charge fees for game loans either, but again it's up to publishers to "enable" this, and there are two requirements. "You can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once".

A further paragraph adds flesh to all this. "In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers.

"Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won't be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

Finally, the manufacturer has confirmed that it's possible to play games offline for up to 24 hours, or one hour if you're logged into somebody else's console. "Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

It concludes with the reassurance that Microsoft is mindful of your views. "In the months ahead, we will continue to listen to your feedback as we meet with our partners in the ecosystem to bring additional detail about our policies. We are excited about this new generation of games and entertainment and look forward to sharing more news with our fans."

Hmmm. What do you think?

Source: Rheena.com

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

EvilBoB (7th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox One's pre-owned and game licensing policies explained

Well that helps an awful lot I think it's pre-order time now!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Love the family gaming thing. Just hope it works like they say as my kids live 200 miles away from me
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

AD (7th June 2013)  

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Interesting..
    So if I read this correctly, in theory, anyone I class as "family" can play my games library from anywhere? and if this is the case, then the reverse must be the same, ie I can play their games library from anywhere?
    So whilst multiplayer oriented game such as BF4 or COD would warrant both parties having a copy, single player games, would only need one of the "family" members to have a copy?

Interesting if this is the case, I can see this open to exploitation. Perhaps a new DF forum titled "Brothers in name only" with a sticky called "What I want to play tonight and who has it and isn't playing it themselves?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The family system is already a bit flawed. You can get a family gold account gives four accounts for the price of two - there are no checks and you can add anyone to it. Very useful if a few people know each other well
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought they cancelled the Family gold. Or am I smoking crack again?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    I thought they cancelled the Family gold. Or am I smoking crack again?
    Nope - it works still. Me and my kids and the wife all use it In fact through the XBL Rewards program you can get points back.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One
    Or ten guys from the same office maybe?