• Xbox One

43 30.07%
  • I'd rather play with my balls

30 20.98%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What are you getting PS4 or Xbox One

Have been using xbox 360 for years, but but what ive seen PS4 is the way to go this time round have pre-ordered a PS4 today

Thanks
    Karma Level

I normally get my son some smaller presents for his birthday and Christmas plus a main present and I ordered him an XBox One back in May for his main birthday / Christmas present. Plus I'll probably get him Dead Rising 3 as he loves those and the Resident Evil games.

Personally I couldn't justify either console for myself at their respective prices. The next thing I want is GTA 5 and that will keep me happy for 6 months plus.

On one hand I think MS's uturn is good in some respects but bad in others. In my opinion they were trying to push the boundaries with the always connected console and doing away with second hand games, but introducing digital sharing with friends and family in exchange.

I've bought my lad second hand games for years for both his Wii and his XBox 360. He has an offline console as do I but I buy him a far few games, plus MS points for DLC, plus Gold Subscription, plus gaming accessories and he plays stuff against his mates online plus with randoms on COD and Borderlands and he's happy. Big titles he has at launch and then other stuff we pickup second hand, i.e. Shadows of the Damned, Left for Dead, etc.

Personally, I think there would be enough longevity with the new XBox One titles he likes the look of playing them online. If the second hand market was supposed to change then I don't think he'd miss it. He and his friends all own the same triple A titles so they can all play against each other online, just the same as me and my friends do. And our 360's are always connected to that 'The Internet'!

Most of my mates have ordered an XBox One and if I ordered one then I can guarantee we would all have COD Ghosts. Out of the other One titles, I'd have Watch Dogs, my lad would have Dead Rising 3, one of my best mates would have Titan Fall and Metal Gear, the other one would have Tom Clancy's The Division and Halo. If we could all share our games with each digitally whenever we wanted then we'd have a decent spread of games to go at for a while. I don't even borrow my sons games that I've bought him! But if I could play them without knicking them off of him then I probably would. And we would all still buy the triple A stuff so we can play together online.

I get that MS will be worried about loosing ground to Sony but we have to advance at some stage. I used to be heavily into CounterStrike Source. I bought the physical media and lost it years ago. But if I wanted to play it on my laptop now its only a Steam installation away.

MS may have done a uturn on it for now but it'll still come at some point. And if Sony do it first I'll laugh my ass off. I've heard people making Sony out to be saints in recent weeks but they've pulled some shitty stunts in their time. Pulling backwards compatibility from the PS3 is one, pulling the ability to use Linux is another. Sony aren't angels and neither are MS, but MS openly tried to drive the industry forwards and people flame them because they haven't thought it through.

Just my two penneth and unless I'm really wowed by my lads XBox then I won't pick one up till the price comes down. I only play a game once every few weeks now, or when my lad fancies kicking my ass at something so that's why I can't justify one for myself. The PS4 is pointless for me, even though the visuals may look a bit nicer, my lad and my mates will be on the XBox. I don't watch much TV and the XBox One doesn't come close to my XBMC setup, but I think some people will have the console at the heart of their home entertainment which again I think is a smart move. The 500GB HD is a shit move IMO but it was probably down to cost.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Article here about how Sony removed the Camera from their package to undercut Microsoft.
    Also remember that Sony's is just a 'Camera' and not a 'Kinect'. M$ have a lot more tech packed into theirs.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...osoft-on-price

When Sony announced that PlayStation 4 would be priced at $399 to an uproar of applause from the audience at its E3 press conference, it secured a critical edge over the Xbox One. But the advantage came at a cost: the PlayStation 4 camera (formerly known as the PlayStation 4 Eye). According to multiple sources, in the months leading up to E3, Sony nixed plans to include the camera add-on with every system and shave $100 off its originally planned price of $499. Most importantly, it did so quietly, informing its retail partners only of the removal of the camera, not specifying the lower price so as not to tip its hand to Microsoft.
    But in its efforts to undercut the Xbox One, Sony has damned the accessory to a future of fragmented consumer adoption and inconsistent software support. The decision has also rendered a major design element of the DualShock 4 controller — the built-in LED Move tracker — largely useless.
    Microsoft's decision to bundle a Kinect with each Xbox One and require it for use may be unpopular, but it guarantees that every user will have the option to try Kinect-enabled games and experiences. For developers, it means that Kinect integration is no longer a costly gamble on a small subsection of Xbox owners — motion-detecting and voice-sensing elements can be anything from a small optional game enhancement or the primary control method.
    By relegating the camera to a $59.99 add-on, Sony has ensured the opposite — a climate of codependency wherein PlayStation 4 camera adoption will hinge upon compelling software, but compelling software will only arrive after PlayStation 4 camera adoption.
    What's worse, the DualShock 4's integrated LEDs are now good for little more than visual flair. Per Sony, the light-up panels will help indicate the player associated with each controller and, when supported, react to in-game cues, such as blinking red when a player is low on health. Ultimately, the limited functionality of the LEDs without the aid of the Eye won't impact the player experience or even drastically diminish the overall battery life of the controller, but it's a lingering reminder of Sony's failure to support the tech.
    It's possible that Sony has long-term aspirations for the PlayStation 4 camera and the DualShock 4's integrated Move technology — the PS4 is likely to be a 10 year console, after all — but launch window support is likely to be non-existent. The device was little more than a footnote at the console's debut in February and of the more than 40 demosSony showcased at E3, Drive Club and a tech demo Playroom were the only PlayStation 4 titles were camera-enabled.
    At present, Sony's abandonment of the Eye in favor of a lower priced PlayStation 4 seems to be paying off — the company claims to be boosting internal sales estimatesand online retailers are reporting record breaking pre-sales — but will it be able to incentivize consumers and developers to adopt the device in the future? The odds are seemingly stacked against it, but perhaps Sony has a killer app waiting in the wings.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

2 Thanks given to Goldberg

beerman (28th June 2013),  macmilm (28th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Think this is a bad move by Sony... they played well over all the Bad press where M$ were concerned and took advantage best they could but overall Sony are really struggling across the board at the mo and personally think their PS4 seems a bit boring and the above wont help imho devs wont bother with it at all

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    Think this is a bad move by Sony... they played well over all the Bad press where M$ were concerned and took advantage best they could but overall Sony are really struggling across the board at the mo and personally think their PS4 seems a bit boring and the above wont help imho devs wont bother with it at all
    Did you watch the same e3 as everyone else?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it is very interesting.

I can understand why they removed it from the 'package' in order to drop the price, but it also shows two chinks in their armour:

1. They have no confidence in their Camera.. This means that when they try and fleece people for £100 there is no point in you buying one as they have no intention of really supporting it.
    2. They never intended to really support it. They were only throwing it in to compete with M$'s package, but M$ were cheaper than what $ony thought they would be.

What $ony should do is make their system compatible with Kinect!! Imagine that!

Fanboi's will argue different about the whole thing. They will say IGN made it all up etc..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    The E3 where $ony did a presentation on how their system plays second hand games and nothing else?

Thanks to Goldberg

macmilm (28th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post

What $ony should do is make their system compatible with Kinect!! Imagine that!
    I know you mean that as a joke but I think this rings true for the future of gaming. I imagine that in 20-30 years, PCs and Consoles will be one and the same thing. I imagine that computers will be fully integrated in Televisions with all the functions of a TV and all the functions of a PC with wireless keyboards, mouse and joypads, runnning the platform that wins the integrated PC/TV OS war.

There won't be any consoles but rather Sony/MS/Nintendo will release games for these systems rather than build their own.

Well, maybe my point of view is rather ideological but it would be the best route to go if you could convince the mega-corps to abandon their own proprietary hardware and to integrate on a common system.

I know that would mightily annoy you Goldberg as you would no longer have an excuse to moan and moan and fucking moan about Sony.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    The one where $ony just showed a PS3 with a faster CPU, GPU and bigger HDD (As usual just the bit more powerful than the other console(s) not that they every utilize the power)
    No real new tech from them at all..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post

There won't be any consoles but rather Sony/MS/Nintendo will release games for these systems rather than build their own.
    I hope this is true but Nintendo won't be able to bring the same game out every 3 months..

Super Mario Bros
    Super Mario Bros Deluxe
    Super Mario Bros Advance
    Super Mario ....

You get my drift.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the Sony show was bland but it was the catastrophic shit that MS pulled that made it look good in comparison. Sony 'won' because they showed a gaming device that was cheaper than the xbox and didnt have all the shit people didnt like. They didnt even have to pull out the usual pre rendered gameplay footage this year.

Sony may be showing little innovation, but sadly I dont think innovation goes very far when you are pitching a product to the current gaming audience. I cant see kinect doing anything much more than the older similar devices have done and even if it does, it will be a handful of titles at best which will never sell as well as the usual mainsteam spoon fed fifa shite that seems to hold up the industry.

What I dont quite understand is why MS gamers seem to be suddenly behind a concept such as the camera anyway? When Nintendo introduced motion controlled gaming the average MS'er snorted it wouldn't add anything to their Halo experience and even when the kinect was introduced everyone was damning its casual gamer applications. Now MS are forcing us to buy it regardless its suddenly the greatest innovation in history.
    In reality, MS and Sony have predominantly the same market of chimps who want to play the same multiformat games year after year and if kinect isnt going to improve those titles, it will never see much success.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The one where $ony just showed a PS3 with a faster CPU, GPU and bigger HDD (As usual just the bit more powerful than the other console(s) not that they every utilize the power)
    They have definitely put a new CPU, GPU and larger HDD in it. But that's really all. It's not really offering any new experiences or anything beyond upgraded hardware. M$ are trying something new, to break the mould. A vastly improved Kinect, better streaming integration and cloud based computing power (as opposed to Sony's cloud based save game system).

I know a lot of people will say "I'm a hardcore gamer and all I want is next gen games" but that is narrowminded and will keep us stagnated. Consoles need to evolve. When the original XBox came out a lot of parents bought the console for their kids to have in their bedroom - this time around they will be buying the console for the living room for everyone to use. Skype whilst gaming, watching tv and films, family gaming and more. Consoles need to evolve and not just upgrade.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

macmilm (28th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes that very same one with all the support from the indie devs, exclusives and clarification on DRM (something microsoft didn't do) No gimmick bollocks. I'm glad Sony didnt chuck in the eyetoy, as theyve shown with the ps3 / ps3 its just a gimmick which they can't be arsed to support.

I'd rather take the saving then half-arsed support for a peripheral.

Microsoft got sloppy with the kinect to, they lowered the tech to get the price to a resonable support and forgot about it. 129 games released with Kinect support, 5 in 2013. I'll let the stats do the speaking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games

All that stuff about new experiences. Its been done already with the virtua fighter on the eye toy, dancing and various amount of physical titles on the wii. It just doesnt work.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just in the interest of fairness, Playstation Eye games with none released in 2013:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Eye

and the move: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_Move_games

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really is like reading the football section, I really don't get the slagging off of one or the other, I have made a choice based on my personal needs/likes and don't feel the need or even see the logic in attacking or even trying to persuade others to buy the same console as me as I understand people/gamers want different things.

A fanboy is as easy to spot as a Liverpool supporter posting in a Man United thread why not step back and take a breath

Thanks
    Karma Level

Too many people wearing these

Attachment 27789

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    I know a lot of people will say "I'm a hardcore gamer and all I want is next gen games" but that is narrow minded and will keep us stagnated. Consoles need to evolve. When the original XBox came out a lot of parents bought the console for their kids to have in their bedroom - this time around they will be buying the console for the living room for everyone to use. Skype whilst gaming, watching tv and films, family gaming and more. Consoles need to evolve and not just upgrade.

but the hardcore gamer is MS's key market, or atleast we are lead to believe. Adding features nobody wants isnt evolution, its just making a product thats overly expensive for its key use, which is gaming.
    I really cant see a massive market switch from parents buying a console for their kids to buying one for their family, the wii did that to some extent and even Nintendo themselves have said it worked, but ultimately that market doesn't buy games which is where the money is at.

Ms's concept of one box just isnt appealing to me because first of all, I have a box that handles all the tv side of things, and does so very well so why would I rejoice at the chance to buy another box that covers that angle, for a price tag that the xbone is? I also dont want to entrust all my visual entertainment to a MS controlled box that I will probably have to upgrade again in 5 years. I bought my revo PC before I bought a 360, and I'll probably still be using it when the xbox whatever is released in 6 or so years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    but the hardcore gamer is MS's key market.
    Any the Xbox One will still support the hardcore gamer.... It may have kinect, voice, (possibly illumiroom addon) and TV stuff... BUT you don't have to use those features.. you can just use it as a plain simple console and play COD 7 as you did before...
    They are adding innovative features to attract more people to the party.. and I think it is best to do it all in one box than have an Xbox 720 + Xbox Media for those that want it..
    So we get the Xbox One

Personally will enjoy not have to hunt for the remote and just being able to shout 'Xbox Dave' ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    A fanboy is as easy to spot as a Liverpool supporter posting in a Man United thread why not step back and take a breath
    Surely no one will ever hate an M$ or Bony fanyboy as much as a Liverpool supporter !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally will enjoy not have to hunt for the remote and just being able to shout 'Xbox Dave' ;-)
    You know it has mood sensing capabilities too so if you shout at it will think your in a pissy ;-)

Thanks to akimba

macmilm (28th June 2013)  

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast