Xbox Live Arcade games won't be playable on Xbox One - or will they? Phil Spencer told Gamespot as much last month, but has suggested that there's room for hope in an email Q&A. "We saw great consumer response to digital titles on Xbox 360, which can continue to be played on Xbox 360 consoles," Spencer writes. "We are exploring ways to bring gamers' favourite content to the new Xbox, but do not have any additional information to announce at this time." Given that Xbox One is not backwards compatible with Xbox 360, it's likely Microsoft's "explorations" apply only to the best-received XBLA titles, which may effectively be rebuilt for the new machine rather than arriving care of an emulator. Do Guardian of Light and Fez first, Spencer - I've yet to finish either.

Another possibility, of course, is that we'll have to pay again for the privilege of playing these games on the new console - Minecraft Xbox One will be sold as a new experience, for instance. Spencer's choice of words ("bring content to") suggests otherwise, however.

Microsoft execs have stressed the fact that Xbox 360 profile data (and in particular, achievements) will carry over to Xbox One. "You don't have a separate identity on Xbox One," Spencer commented in the chat with Gamespot. "It's the same, you are you. My friend's network is the same on both boxes, my achievements are the same.

"We think that service component is an important component to keep constant across both devices." Shared game libraries would seem very appropriate to your vision, Phil.

Source: Rheena.com