Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: RUMOUR: Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

I'm pretty sure the likes of love film will have influenced this decision too. If they could not rent the latest games because of DRM issues they would almost certainly lose custom or see a large number of people at least drop down to a lower product. Big businesses listen to big businesses, remember love film is an Amazon company, they may be taking the consumer standpoint with this but im sure there is more to it. Don't get me wrong they have made a good decision and im glad they have reverted back to the current way, but I think they were under pressure from more than just consumers on this one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: RUMOUR: Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

Don't forget, digital purchase is still an option for those that don't want disk swapping.
    So this could be the best of both worlds. Although the family option was a great feature, no real reason why that couldn't still be available for downloaded games. They could make it an option, ie can share digital versions BUT to use that feature it needs to check in periodically. Would be an ideal compromise. Then disk based versions work as they always did.
    As others have said, for me it's now back to a decision again whereas I had decided to jump to PS4 instead. Preordered both now anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think there are still a few twists and turns left before the release of the both consoles. I wouldnt be suprised if Sony have got something else up thier sleeve. Remember that this is pretty much Sony's last chance to save future of the company, considering a majority of the rest of the businesses are floundering.... its $hit or bust for them...

Although is could also have been a supurbly planned sales plan to let Sony get some wind under thier wings and then to shoot them down in full flight????
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Proper chuffed with this news.. did like the idea of sharing games but can live without that.... Bring on the next Elder Scrolls !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

They've made it region free as well by the looks of it. It was region locked before, where as the PS4 was region free.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    To be fair when XBMC was invented and thrown onto the original xbox everyone loved it, raved about it, still do to this day. People in their thousands were very dissappointed that the 360 did not really do enough to build on the success of XBMC and again the community looked for ways to port the current one over to the 360. Now they have moved more in the media centre direction which remember people have been asking for for the best part of 10 years+...yet they still get slated.
    Maybe the way round this always online situation is to have the ability for games developers to utilise the "cloud". Meaning that games can be say disk based OR cloud based. Leave the ball in the game developers court so to speak. Maybe when the next gen is well established then microsoft and sony can collate their online figures supply that info to the game devs and then they can make a commercial decision. You could see a two tier experience....one for those who wish to connect 24/7 and one for those who don't. As long as the infrastructure is in-place and the design of the console supports it I can't see this as being too bad.
    It would be a shame if this move does stifle innovation.
    If they used XBMC again. I will changes my mind...

But... The 360 and PS3 are shit for media.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    What about the 'cloud'? I thought that was the future of everything according to the MS bullshit and without a permanent net connection devs cant utiliSe it.
    Exactly. The xbox has been designed around the concept of using the cloud and now they've backed down on their plans it'll do a second rate job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Exactly. The xbox has been designed around the concept of using the cloud and now they've backed down on their plans it'll do a second rate job.
    You do realise 'cloud' was also a big part of PS4 presentation coming next year, not sure it will change plans but then as they have not really released much info on how it will be used I can't comment but would doubt the being connected every 24 hours really comes into it.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

lithho (20th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    You do realise 'cloud' was also a big part of PS4 presentation coming next year, not sure it will change plans but then as they have not really released much info on how it will be used I can't comment but would doubt the being connected every 24 hours really comes into it.
    Yeah the cloud stuff does what it does on the psn now with gamesaves / backups etc. I'm glad microsoft turned a complete 360 brings them back in the game.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Microsoft's Cloud implementation is a LOT more advanced than Sony's. With the MS stuff you can offload processing of certain tasks to arrays of servers in "the cloud" meaning that in theory the console is a lot more powerful when connected to the cloud. MS claim it's like having another three XBoxes per console. Not sure exactly how it will work due to bandwidth etc but imagine if you like a game where you are in a street. The TVs in shops could be live streaming video (maybe from real shows) or pulling in lighting processing based on your real life location. Push this further like Forza and the AI could be out on the cloud thereby offloading the CPU intensive task of running GOOD AI to clustered servers. The possibilities really are endless however it remains to be seen how many dev teams use it other than the first party stuff like Halo, Forza etc. These "tasks" can be sent to the cloud and the resources will dynamically be allocated so it is economical.

The term "Cloud Computing" has been abused by many companies recently. Saving a file to a server on the internet is not, in my opinion, cloud computing. Distributing processing power to remote servers - that's the future baby
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

Bald Bouncer (20th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    Microsoft's Cloud implementation is a LOT more advanced than Sony's. With the MS stuff you can offload processing of certain tasks to arrays of servers in "the cloud" meaning that in theory the console is a lot more powerful when connected to the cloud. MS claim it's like having another three XBoxes per console. Not sure exactly how it will work due to bandwidth etc but imagine if you like a game where you are in a street. The TVs in shops could be live streaming video (maybe from real shows) or pulling in lighting processing based on your real life location. Push this further like Forza and the AI could be out on the cloud thereby offloading the CPU intensive task of running GOOD AI to clustered servers. The possibilities really are endless however it remains to be seen how many dev teams use it other than the first party stuff like Halo, Forza etc. These "tasks" can be sent to the cloud and the resources will dynamically be allocated so it is economical.

The term "Cloud Computing" has been abused by many companies recently. Saving a file to a server on the internet is not, in my opinion, cloud computing. Distributing processing power to remote servers - that's the future baby
    All aload of bollocks. We'll how much "cloud computing" there is when the console is released. The last time there was hype about anything related to cloud computing that was Sim City 4 and that runs perfectly fine offline(once cracked).

All that cloud bollocks is saying yes we know the ps3 is stronger hardware wise but we have dedicated servers with a new fancy name.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anybody heard a rumour about live being free on xbox one?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post

This sounds amazing. But I have to question how possible it is. They'd need some serious computing power. I don't believe such power exists for 46 million Xbox live users that could potentially (unlikely I know) all be playing the same game.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    Anybody heard a rumour about live being free on xbox one?
    looks like it might be true

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/...ree-xbox-live/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    All aload of bollocks. We'll how much "cloud computing" there is when the console is released. The last time there was hype about anything related to cloud computing that was Sim City 4 and that runs perfectly fine offline(once cracked).

All that cloud bollocks is saying yes we know the ps3 is stronger hardware wise but we have dedicated servers with a new fancy name.
    To be fair I recently trialed a Dedicated Server that used cloud and it made a huge fucking difference .. I decided against purely on cost but it was amazing !!!! It used Cloud Computing not Storage

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    To be fair I recently trialed a Dedicated Server that used cloud and it made a huge fucking difference .. I decided against purely on cost but it was amazing !!!! It used Cloud Computing not Storage
    Im not doubting cloud computing doesnt exist all im saying is microsoft are speaking a load of shite. Let's see what happens

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    If they used XBMC again. I will changes my mind...

But... The 360 and PS3 are shit for media.
    The thing that separates XBMC from anything official is of course the fact that XBMC gives you access to "free" content. I cant really see microsoft/sony producing their version of 1channel or sports devil any time soon. The very best we are going to get is Iplayer,ITV player,5OD,4OD and lovefilm and netflix. Oh yeah if you sub to sky im sure you will be able to access that through both too. Their hands are legally tied with the "best bits" of XBMC imho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    This sounds amazing. But I have to question how possible it is. They'd need some serious computing power. I don't believe such power exists for 46 million Xbox live users that could potentially (unlikely I know) all be playing the same game.
    They are gonna be racks and racks of servers. CPU processing is on demand so if a game only requires 1% of the CPU of that blade/unit then that's 100 games per server. MS stated a figure of how many servers they are putting in place and it is, by it's very nature, expandable should more power be needed.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

that "cloud computing" wont mean shit now that the xbox one doesn't require an always on internet connection

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    that "cloud computing" wont mean shit now that the xbox one doesn't require an always on internet connection
    I disagree. It's like buying a PC game. You got a better gfx card, you get improved graphics. You got your XBox One plugged into the internet - you get a better gaming experience.
    DF Moderator

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast