Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

XboxOne Microsoft: Xbox One still requires Kinect, game installs still mandatory

Well that was quite an almighty turnaround last night, wasn't it? The internet has spoken, and Microsoft has listened, and it seems like now we're all a little torn as to whether we've won a great victory or taken a step backwards in the race to the next generation. However you feel about last night's DRM policy change, there are a few caveats. Xbox corporate vice-president Marc Whitten has confirmed that you'll still need to install your games, and you'll still need to keep your Kinect plugged in. "We still believe Kinect is a really critical part of the architecture," he said, speaking to IGN. "We think it changes the way you can interact with your experiences, being able to control the box with your voice or with gestures, being able to do Skype. And we want game and interactive entertainment creators to be able to know they can take advantage of it, and we want it to be completely consistent for our users. So we still are very committed to how Kinect transforms that experience."

Whitten went on to confirm that many of Xbox One's functions are still in place, such as seamless swapping between apps and games - although you'll have to change discs to switch between games you've purchased at retail. "As part of making the changes to allow you to use physical discs the way that you do today, what's going to happen is your online games and your physical games will work like they do today.

"That does mean that features like Family Sharing won't be there. Another example that we think is awesome is that when you move to any Xbox One, the ability to see all of your games in your Games Library. While you'll clearly only see the ones that you downloaded online, you'd have to bring your physical discs for the other ones."

Whitten was also keen to state that the changes in policy do not and will not affect Microsoft's long term online strategies. "We believe that most people, frankly, are going to continue to take advantage of the connected state and all that comes with it," he said, "and that frankly it will be experiences like TitanFall taking unique advantage of the cloud, or Forza and drivatars that people are going to love and they're going to use.

"And to take advantage of those features you'll clearly have to be connected and online, just as if you were streaming video or playing multiplayer or any of the other things that require online. But that's up to the game experience and sort of how they use those features."

So how do you feel about the changes now that all becomes clear? Is it the best of both worlds? Is it a step backwards in terms of innovation? Or is it a welcome return to the status quo? Personally I think it's a little disheartening to see more support for the Xbox One's original policies now than before the great One eighty. GameStop have applauded the move, however, just as they run out of in-store preorders for the console's Day One Editions.

Source: Rheena.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft: Xbox One still requires Kinect, game installs still mandatory

Can live with the other restrictions... mostly happy about the 24hr check tbh

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft: Xbox One still requires Kinect, game installs still mandatory

Think that's fucking me off others might not mind is no headset in the box to me that's a piss take.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought I heard someone say it comes with a Turtle Beach one?

*EDIT*

OK, just saw the tweet that states no Headset. Odd that one... Must be expecting everyone to do it via Kinect?

Did/does the PS3 come with one? I know the Xbox 'original' and 360 did/do.

*EDIT*EDIT*

BUT... You do have those folks who are not happy about it been online, those folk who do not want it online... So the question is what use is a Headset if this is the case?

At least the $ony fanboi's cannot use this against the One folk.
    Last edited by Goldberg; 20th June 2013 at 05:00 PM.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

The offline thing isn't about wanting to play one way or the other, it's about both. I guess you've never worked a job where 3 weeks out of four you're shacked up in a little B&B?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    I thought I heard someone say it comes with a Turtle Beach one?

*EDIT*

OK, just saw the tweet that states no Headset. Odd that one... Must be expecting everyone to do it via Kinect?
    Whilst it will not ship with a headset TB are making the officially licensed one for XBox One.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1218...we-go-hands-on
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's the standard official headset for the Xbox One here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/a...s/chat-headset

Turtle Beach are producing 2 headsets too: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Here's the standard official headset for the Xbox One here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/a...s/chat-headset

Turtle Beach are producing 2 headsets too: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories
    I did hope they would release an adapter to allow the X500's to work with the Xbox One but does not seem like they will or at least the silence from them on the forum is deafening so another £150-£250 for a decent pair or buy some bulk standard ones.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Simple solution. Use Kinect as a mic. The new Kinect is supposed to be a lot better for sound pickup and isolation.

We can still use our xp500s then as speech destined for your speakers will come through the cans.
    DF Moderator

Thanks to EvilBoB

SiE (21st June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

No headset is a big step back. I think one of the reasons why Xbox360 has a great online experience is because it comes bundled with a mic so users have no excuse not to chat in game.

Thanks to eblaster101

lithho (22nd June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your looking at a £10 accessory and from personal experience playing COD online, I never use the headset because 12 year old's really get on my tits screaming at you.

You don't miss something until it is taken away from you granted, but any serious gamer will buy a proper headset.
    As stated you can still have an online experience as the Kinect will work as the communication device.

Hardly a reason not to buy one.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have an XP500 and I mainly use it for watching movies these days. Putting Kinect in there as mandatory requirement actually means that noone will have an excuse for "losing their headset" or "headset broken" - it will just be there and work. Of course in a busy room with lots of people it will not work as well I doubt but it's a pay off for everyone to be able to use voice out of the box.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

The issue for me is I have all the sound through the headset and don't want the noise in the house so using the kinect for chat is not an option and if it's anything like chat on the Kinect now virtually unusable, with the headset you can always hear the chat above the noise of the game as well with the auto volume thing which I would also miss.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah yeah. That's understandable. Well all we can do it hope someone comes out with an adaptor. may even flog mine soon to buy a new one to avoid the hassle.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont understand why people are bitching that the xbox one does not come with a headset - ps3 did not come with a headset and the xbox 360 headsey was not great - most people went out a purchasd a turtle beach or some type of wireless headset to use (well i did)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo77 View Post
    dont understand why people are bitching that the xbox one does not come with a headset - ps3 did not come with a headset and the xbox 360 headsey was not great - most people went out a purchasd a turtle beach or some type of wireless headset to use (well i did)
    Mainly because I will buy a proper headset but now I will have to buy another headset before deciding which headset to go for and as it was part of the Xbox 360 release package it's something that has been removed from this.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

also, they have they stated that the old headsets, wired or wireless wont work? I do agree though, the point stands that in 2005 you bundle a head set to incourage online use, but in 2013 you dont?, missed a trick i think

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really? What reason would a wireless headset not work? Sounds like a deliberate move to sell more headsets to me...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Your looking at a £10 accessory and from personal experience playing COD online, I never use the headset because 12 year old's really get on my tits screaming at you.

You don't miss something until it is taken away from you granted, but any serious gamer will buy a proper headset.
    As stated you can still have an online experience as the Kinect will work as the communication device.

Hardly a reason not to buy one.
    I tend to use the mute button.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    Really? What reason would a wireless headset not work? Sounds like a deliberate move to sell more headsets to me...

If the Kinect mic works as well as they state then it shouldn't matter for voice and if you have some Turtle Beaches you can still make use of the optical to get the sound to your headset. I'm not that bothered to be honest - it's been a long time since I really used a headset in earnest. People will still find ways to have a dig looking for something bad etc. but does it really matter that much? It is a shame that you can't even use the wired 360 headsets though. Hopefully it's because they are gonna do something weird and wonderful with the new connection. Maybe not just sound...
    DF Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast