Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Bought a new Scooter for travel to work

Hi guys, been using a Honda SH50 circa 1998 for commuting to work the past year but its given up the ghost so its time to be replaced. Just been down my local Honda dealer and bagged a brand new Honda NSC50R Repsol edition for £300 off retail, £1600 instead of £1900 so pretty chuffed with the discount. Picking it up Tuesday, I have ordered a Malossi Variator to get some more speed out of it as its obviously limited, can easily be swapped back if I have a warranty issue so no worries there. 2 Years warranty and 2 years AA roadside not that I will need it hopefully. 4 Stroke engine capable of 140MPG and with a 5.5ltr fuel tank so should be cheap as hell to run, my daughter is 10 next month so see this as an investment really as I can hand it down to her in 6 years when I will probably be done with it, then my son 2 years after that.

Any advice on running it in etc? never had a new bike so wanna get the best out of it and treat it right

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bought a new Scooter for travel to work

I think cars and bikes these days don't need "running in" as this has been accounted for at the factory.
    Not a bike person after a very close call in my teens, but looks nice.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are you informing your insurance company of the mod because if you are ever involved in an accident and have not disclosed the mod they wont pay out. Also your bike will be more than 50cc because of the mod so does your driving licence allow it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i will inform them, with regards to the licence probably not but nothing a CBT would not cure as I can ride a 125 if i go through the CBT route.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you may need to change the ECU/CDI as well - many modern 50's are electronically restricted to 45kph (in reality they do go slightly faster) so simply changing the variator may not do as much as you hope.

certainly do not do any derestricting or mods until the first service is done

also - dont go near supermarket fuel!!! only use BP/shell/total etc, the amount of scooters i have to clean out the fuel system because the have filled up at supermarkets!

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok thanks for the advice, im not touching it until after the 600 mile service, I may hold off on the Variator until the warranty is up unless the dealer wants to fit it and let me retain the warranty. The Variator alone does improve it upto about 40-45mph looking at youtube and on forums. I tend to use shell in my car anyway so will do so with the ped. Thanks again

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post

also - dont go near supermarket fuel!!! only use BP/shell/total etc, the amount of scooters i have to clean out the fuel system because the have filled up at supermarkets!

Is there a known problem with supermarket fuel? I fill my car up at BP, but my parents use Tesco.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    The Variator alone does improve it upto about 40-45mph looking at youtube and on forums.
    dont be so sure m8,
    my instructing work is getting a bit thin and ive had to go back to my original vocation - bike tech at a bike dealership.
    the variator is essentially a gearbox, you need to fettle an engine to go faster then change the gearbox to maximise the extra power to substantially increase speed/power.

i have spent many hours running scooters/mopeds on our dyno

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Is there a known problem with supermarket fuel? I fill my car up at BP, but my parents use Tesco.
    cars and large fuel injected, late model bikes are ok but the small engined bikes really dont like the cheap, low grade, ethanol laden fuels and it fur's up their carbs/injectors as well as swelling up the rubber/plastic components in the fuel systems

2 Thanks given to tiggerbiker

bub (16th July 2013),  Geko (17th July 2013)