Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Are we all ignoring Egypt?

Less than a year after democratic elections the president, who is hated by the West, is disposed in a military coup and the US and Western sponsored Military take over.

Now we see endless deaths in the name of 'Western Sponsored' democracy.

How long are we going to stand by and support our Government's betrayal of the Egyptian People?

----------------------------------------------------

Egypt crisis: Dozens dead in Egypt 'day of anger

At least 60 people have been killed in Egypt, officials say, as protesters loyal to the ousted President Mohammed Morsi clashed with security forces.

Most of the reported deaths were in Cairo, but about 25 were elsewhere, including 12 in Nile Delta cities.

Mr Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood said on Friday that there would be a week of daily rallies across Egypt.

Two days ago the protesters' camps were cleared, leaving at least 638 dead and sparking international condemnation.

In the wake of Wednesday's violence, the interior ministry says police have been authorised to use live ammunition "within a legal framework".

Hundreds of people had gathered at a mosque in Cairo's Ramses square on Friday, after the Muslim Brotherhood, of which Mr Morsi is a member, appealed to its supporters to join a "march of anger".

The demonstrations took place under the slogan "the people want to topple the coup" - referring to the military's removal of Mr Morsi in early July.

The protests quickly became violent - the BBC's Jeremy Bowen says the trigger was when a police station came under fire.

3 Jul: President Mohammed Morsi deposed by military after mass protests
    4 Jul: Pro-Morsi protesters gather at the Rabaa al-Adawiya and Nahda sites in Cairo
    27 Jul: More than 70 people killed in clashes with security forces at Rabaa al-Adawiya
    14 Aug: Security forces break up both camps, leaving at least 638 people dead
    The Muslim Brotherhood said that Friday's protests would end at sunset prayers, approximately 20:00 local time (18:00 GMT).

However, disturbances were reported into the evening in the capital.

Security was tight in Cairo, with many armoured personnel carriers on the streets.

The army blocked off entrances to Tahrir Square, the focus of demonstrations that led to the toppling of President Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

Elsewhere in the country, at least five people were killed in the second city of Alexandria, six in Suez, eight in Damietta and five in Fayoum, according to medical sources.

Members of groups opposed to Mr Morsi - the National Salvation Front and Tamarod - called for counter-demonstrations in response to the Muslim Brotherhood protests.

There were also calls for people to protect their neighbourhoods and churches throughout the country, because some Islamists have accused the Coptic Church of backing Mr Morsi's overthrow.

A protester tells the BBC's Mishal Husain: "We are fighting for the dignity of Egypt"
    Bishop Angaelos, General Bishop of the Coptic Church in the UK, told the BBC that about 50 churches had been attacked throughout the country since the break up of the protest camps.

"This time is normally the fast of St Mary, when there are normally vigils in the churches, but we are now limiting those because there is a danger to the congregations, "

There are no saints versus devils in the conflict in Egypt”

Jordanian newspaper al-Dustur
    World press urges end to violence
    French President Francois Hollande has spoken to German Chancellor Angela Merkel and UK Prime Minister David Cameron, who says the "violence and repression is unacceptable"
    EU diplomats will meet in Brussels on Monday - some have called for EU aid to Egypt to be frozen
    EU foreign policy envoy Catherine Ashton said responsibility for the crisis "weighs heavily on the interim government, as well as on the wider political leadership in the country"
    UN under-secretary general Jeffrey Feltman will visit Cairo next week to discuss the situation with Egypt's authorities
    Turkey has described Wednesday's events as a "massacre" and recalled its ambassador to Cairo - in retaliation, Cairo has cancelled naval exercises with Turkey
    But some other nations support the interim government's actions.

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah issued a statement saying: "The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, its people and government stood and stands by today with its brothers in Egypt against terrorism."

Mr Morsi, Egypt's first democratically elected president, was ousted by the military on 3 July.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23732350

Thanks to CzarJunkie

Over Carl (16th August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Are we all ignoring Egypt?

There's no oil. Why should we care?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't support our government. But.... I don't think I want anarchy on our streets either.

What are my options? I'll quite happily vote for a people's party. But I would imagine the corruption would be contagious.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have been following it but have just been shaking me head at the hypocrisy and even today one of the yank spokesmen saying they should keep giving the billion plus in aid to the Egyptian military so they had some leverage like it has done any good so far.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem in Egypt is that the majority of people are being ignored.

A great friend of mine is a young Egyptian / American film maker/blogger. She's been living back in Egypt for about 5 years. She was elated when Mubarak was deposed, has been despondent whilst morsi has been in power and devastated since the military took control.

Her view is that that Brotherhood represent 25% of the population and the Mubarak supporters about the same but the other 50% want a secular state with freedom to worship and to work regardless of creed.

The brotherhood followers are taking out their aggression against the state and the Copite Christians.

The military don't want to lose any power like they had under Morsi.

The average Egyptian has no voice and no power and just wants the whole shit that had gone on for the last 12 months to stop. They didn't go onto to the streets to end up with what they have now. But they don't want to be shot by the state or be brutalised by Brotherhood supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nobody in power or influence will give a fuck untill world trade is harmed by it.

By that I mean the Suez canal being blocked. Headlines like that on the BBC
    UK 'deeply concerned' over violence

are all bollox.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

In this day and age of media propaganda I really don't know which side or political group to believe anymore.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lets not get involved in egypt.
    Its their mess let them sort it out.
    Im fed up of us interfering in other countries affairs when we cant even get things right here.
    Same with syria - thats another country we need to stay out of.
    We seem to be hell bent on helping fanatics take over countries and then turn on us.

Thanks
    Karma Level

^^

I get the feeling we are part of the reason for their problems.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't ignore genocide but the opinions here are right and if world trade isn't affected the suffering will go on..

I work in the financial trading sector and this issue hasn't affected trading whereas, obviously, if oil were involved it
    would.

It troubles me that world leaders are hardly moving at all on it.. just making noises

I don't want to see a gung ho approach but just some progress in brokering an agreement of some sort..

last I heard the interim government intend to "legally" dissolve the Muslim Brotherhood... like that will help the situation..

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png