Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Worth trading in 50D?

I wonder how it works if you want to upgrade. I have a 50D but thinking out loud on if trading in the body against a newer model is worth it or if you get peanuts due to technology constantly moving?

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Worth trading in 50D?

I am still trying to use my 400D that the wife bought me 6 years ago!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Depreciation is currently at a high rate due to a fast flow of new models.

My wife bought a 60D when they came out and now is looking to sell it, but prices are almost half what she paid originally, which is a shame as its probably literally only had a hundred or so actuations.

Just the price of progress I guess.

Certain high end bodies hold their value though, the 5D mk ii seem very good at this. The 50D unfortunately doesn't go for a lot though.

The 50 is still a damn good body though, so you have to decide if its worth upgrading or not.

I almost had to give away an old 400D not so long ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The 400D will do me for my needs until I start to actually understand what I am doing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am not looking to do so, I was interested in how it works. I got the 50D as it was between the 500 and 5. It suits me more and to be honest, at this time, instead of looking to pay more for a newer body, I would be keen to get some lenses instead.

But, the cameras are updating at an incredible rate. I have 12megap's do you really notice or abel to make use of this and the models that give more?

Q

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

unfortunately the the resale value of your 50d is around the £300 - £350 mark i sold mine not that long ago for £325 which was a bit disappointing considering when i bought it in 2008 i paid just short of a £1,000 for it
    there a good camera and still hold there own today despite the newer technology in todays examples
    the question on if it's worth trading for a more up to date body depends on what you want out of a newer body and if it's worth spending the money

iso performance will be better , image quality should be better depending on which body you have in mind but if you don't go much above ISO 800 and can't fault the image quality you already get out of the 50d i can't see much point unless your looking for video as well
    the biggest improvement will always come from the lens if your 50d does what you want it to do buying new lenses would be the way to go

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicma View Post
    unfortunately the the resale value of your 50d is around the £300 - £350 mark i sold mine not that long ago for £325 which was a bit disappointing considering when i bought it in 2008 i paid just short of a £1,000 for it
    there a good camera and still hold there own today despite the newer technology in todays examples
    the question on if it's worth trading for a more up to date body depends on what you want out of a newer body and if it's worth spending the money

iso performance will be better , image quality should be better depending on which body you have in mind but if you don't go much above ISO 800 and can't fault the image quality you already get out of the 50d i can't see much point unless your looking for video as well
    the biggest improvement will always come from the lens if your 50d does what you want it to do buying new lenses would be the way to go
    you are right. I got my 50D only three years back, pretty much to the day. I got the body, two lenses and a 64gb card for about £850 that was from the ill fated camrabox. It was a week late. But I got it. Unlike a lot of other posts I read online about them!

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would upgrade lenses.

Upgrading the body rarely improves photos but can simply make the process easier/nicer.

Biggest improvement I've ever seen was my first venture into L lenses.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would stick to the 50D unless it doesn't do somthing you want it to do. if low light is a problem then look at better lenses that will work better in low light with bigger appertures maybe a couple of primes will help. buying a better body doenst improve your photography, I went from a 450D and 500D usieng them very well shooting in some touch conditions to a pair of 1Dmk4's and I got very lazy just upping the ISO and keeping a higher than needed shutter speed for the photo I wanted.

Buy decent lenses sadly they are not cheap but make a massive difference.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

i got the 600d and the 1000d both canon with numerous lenses

Dont use any of them as much as i should so to me not worth investing in new camera as i wouldnt get anything out of it.
    Phones etc are killing Dslr`s off.Not because they better but because they always with u and more handier to use.
    Only die hards are prepared to carry Big cameras around.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Keep the 50D and invest in lenses. The 50D is a good camera and should be able to cover everything you want. I still see shots from 350D users that blow some 1Dx users shots away so your 50D is far from obselete

Admittedly, I'll probably keep my 7D for another 12 months or so and will probably get a 7D Mk II body. Might even keep the 7D and get it IR converted.

With regards to phones killing of DSLR's, I wouldn't say killing off DSLR's, I'd actually say more the compact p&s or hybrid / bridge cameras because no mobile can really come close to the abilities that an SLR has however they can quite often provide better quality images than a cheaper p&s camera.

I think Mobile phones more so, are damaging the business of photography with this instagram shite that's plagued the web. Take a shit shot, put a snazzy filter over it and make everyone go "ooooohhh aaaahhh" I see lots of wedding togs on various forums crying about how the to be Bride and Groom want their photographs done at 20% of the cost of the photographer because they could get them all done via instagram and so on (seriously ) and there are some togs whom have actually said they've lost a wedding gig due to the fact the photos can be done for free on phones. Crazy shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just bagged a Canon Ixus 510 HS yesterday for £99.99 at Currys. Spent a couple of quid on batteries to get £50 off my next £200 purchase in September.
    This is to replace a previous Ixus I had and gave to my sister as she broke her other camera.

This will be my point and shoot with the DSLR been saved for best.. Then the iPhone comes in handy if I have neither on me.

One day I hope to get a good lens, macro been the lens of choice for my DSLR.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Phones and p&s cameras are more merging than anything, you can already get android p&s cameras, so I guess its not far from having the two combined fully.

They'll never beat dslr though for the simple reason of lens size. You're recording light at the end of the day, no matter how good your sensor, with a phones camera lens you physically can't collect the amount of light a dslr lens can

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My cousin is a pro wedding photographer & she still uses a Nikon d700 that is really old & out dated but her pictures are still fantastic.

Old kit doesn't always mean you missing out or whatever, if you're that good then new kit is not always a necessity.