Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Apple iPhone Trade-In Program Going Live Next Month As iPhone 5S / 5C Launch Nears

Picking up the latest and greatest iPhone always has one or two difficulties. For starters, you’ve got to find some place that has one in stock, and when a new handset has just launched that is something far from easy. If you do manage to be in the right store at the right time though, you’re still faced with arguably the hardest part of the whole iPhone buying experience; actually having the cash to be able to pay for one.

Buying a brand new iPhone is never a cheap thing to do, especially if you’re buying off-contract as many of us like to do. Many hundreds of dollars, or whatever currency your local store happens to deal in, will have to change hands in order for that shiny new iPhone to be yours. With the world in the state it’s in right now, that’s not always an easy thing to manage. That’s where trade-in programs are worth their weight in gold.

With the likes of Best Buy already offering their own trade-in systems, Apple is set to launch its own after Tim Cook spearheaded the program. With the Apple CEO acutely aware that just 20% of iPhones are bought inside Apple’s own stores, the man at the top of Apple believes that allowing buyers to trade-in their older iPhones will make people opt to buy from Apple Stores rather than one of the company’s retail partners.

According to sources close to both 9to5Mac and AllThingsD, Apple’s trade-in program is set to go live as soon as next month, with retail employees undertaking at least two hours of training for the program this week. With the iPhone 5C and 5S set to be announced on the 10th of September, it stands to reason that Apple would want its trade-in program to be in full effect by then.

Getting people to buy their iPhones from Apple Stores is more important than some people may initially think. If Apple can get buyers into its own stores, it can then up-sell them, perhaps making people aware of the Mac, or maybe the iPad. Not all iPhone buyers are big Apple fans, and if the company can convert people into not just iPhone owners, but also Mac owners, then that’s got to be a good thing for the company. None of this is possible if people buy their iPhones elsewhere.

CEO Tim Cook is currently pushing his retail team to perform at even higher standards than it already does, and this potential trade-in program is likely to be just part of a larger theme. Expect more changes at retail to come.

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 27th August 2013 at 10:56 AM.

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

4me2 (28th August 2013),  Bald Bouncer (28th August 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Apple iPhone Trade-In Program Going Live Next Month As iPhone 5S / 5C Launch Near

Most likely will still want over £400 just for a 16gb for the new 5 with trade in.

i hate my iphone 5 and gutted i give my dad my iphone 4!
    I would have solid 3G signal, reliability etc, iphone 5 is just constant problems, struggle to get E, very poor battery life, pink camera glitch, and the bum I had from my local store

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Apple iPhone Trade-In Program Going Live Next Month As iPhone 5S / 5C Launch Near

Only problem with my 5 is battery, sometimes the phone gets very warm so I guess this is when it drains but not sure what causes it. Loads have the same issues as me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought the s in 3GS, 4S and 5S meant "Stable" once ironed all the bugs out from previous version? ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Battery is pretty bad but not had any of the other issues.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

few of my friends all have poor battery life on 5 its known problem on early ones and it should be swapped out, be intresting to see what discount they get could effect resale values on handsets if they load it top heavy

hung on for 5s as upgrade due now so depending on price of a 32gb i might sell my 4 32gb or trade in

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am with mrPhil on this I cant see them giving you a great deal off for a trade in.

Will it be fixed price (not matter cosmetic condition) or will it be the Geniuses to decide :-0

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    few of my friends all have poor battery life on 5 its known problem on early ones and it should be swapped out, be intresting to see what discount they get could effect resale values on handsets if they load it top heavy

hung on for 5s as upgrade due now so depending on price of a 32gb i might sell my 4 32gb or trade in
    I have an early 5 and no problems. If I turn the brightness down I get about 11 to 12 hours of use and have push email on there and use it a lot during the day. If I really need it to last longer I turn the brightness down more, disable cellular data when not using it and I get almost 2 days. You can still send and receive texts when cell data is off.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    I am with mrPhil on this I cant see them giving you a great deal off for a trade in.

Will it be fixed price (not matter cosmetic condition) or will it be the Geniuses to decide :-0
    Knowing Apple they will give you £100 off. Be better off selling your 5 now and buying a SIM free one at launch with the money. The 5 should still get over £350 and that's a much better amount of discount than you would get from Apple's trade-in! I will be happily proven wrong on this.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wonder how much I'd get for my bouncable 3GS. It still keeps going even after plenty of 8 ft falls!

Thanks
    Karma Level

im glad i got away from the apple grip, after an ('2g') iphone, a 3g, a 4 and an ipad 2 i jumped to samsung and have no regrets whatsoever.

looking back, apple has failed to innovate for years, all of these 'new' features are a load of bollocks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zippeyrude View Post
    im glad i got away from the apple grip, after an ('2g') iphone, a 3g, a 4 and an ipad 2 i jumped to samsung and have no regrets whatsoever.

looking back, apple has failed to innovate for years, all of these 'new' features are a load of bollocks
    dont get me wrong if i could find a phone that will hold its value as well and do everything reasonably well thats not oversized to fook and pref on android, that i dont have to fook about with roms etc then id ignore the iphone 5S,

had all the phones and i revert back to my iphone 4 even though i pref android also

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've still got my iphone 1 bought a week after release (and it's still in pretty good shape), Love to see the guys face if i walked in with that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Scammers...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Any actual updates on the main story ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Values can range depending on a variety of factors, including device color, physical damage and liquid damage. Though the prices could very well be tweaked before the program goes wide, the range is said to be around $120-200 for 16GB iPhone 4 and 4S models. A 16GB iPhone 5 in good condition could go for around $250, less than is being offered by some of the other trade-in sites like Gazelle, Glyde or NextWorth.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/26/app...-how-it-works/
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I read somewhere that the apple shop staff were being trained to value phones the other day.

Having seen said staff, I can see a lot of mis-valued phones...

DJ OD