Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nintendo announce the 2DS

If they made it too cheap then no one would buy the other consoles, and then they'd stop making them! Its clearly aimed at a market that needs a more durable and 'safer' console, rather than one that wants it cheaper. The current 3DS isnt expensive and I am sure there are plenty of parents who have had a DS, DSi and even a 3DS and the machine has been broken by clumsy fuckwit children. With this wedge they should have more faith that their children arnt going to break it, or fuck up their eyes.

As for Nintendo become a 3rd party developer, it aint going to happen, people obviously still want to play Nintendo games and to do so they have to buy one of their consoles, the argument for them to become 3rd party falls flat really. They never licensed their games out either, then licensed their characters in the case of the CDi games, but less said about those the better.

As much as people seem to think Nintendo are doing badly, they are far from being in a position to have to take drastic measures to continue as a company.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is true.

I think a lot of the thinking comes from the PS4 v Xbox One war. For some reason people seem to think that whoever wins the war will reign supreme and put the other out of business.

When they can both sell over 78 million consoles it is hardly worth one throwing in the towel because the other sold one million more. The Wii sold over 100 million units, yet people consider Nintendo to be 'struggling'..

the Wii U sales have been poor, but the price drop which is imminent and some decent games about to come out may open peoples eyes to the machine when they compare the 3 side by side and see the $200 difference.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Wii U restored my faith in gaming. I do not want to pretend I'm a soldier or a footballer, but rather lose myself in imaginery worlds and stamp on massive turtles. Nintendo make the purest games, and they'll always have a future.

Thanks to Ganty

Mr 250 (1st September 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    If they made it too cheap then no one would buy the other consoles, and then they'd stop making them! Its clearly aimed at a market that needs a more durable and 'safer' console, rather than one that wants it cheaper. The current 3DS isnt expensive and I am sure there are plenty of parents who have had a DS, DSi and even a 3DS and the machine has been broken by clumsy fuckwit children. With this wedge they should have more faith that their children arnt going to break it, or fuck up their eyes.

As for Nintendo become a 3rd party developer, it aint going to happen, people obviously still want to play Nintendo games and to do so they have to buy one of their consoles, the argument for them to become 3rd party falls flat really. They never licensed their games out either, then licensed their characters in the case of the CDi games, but less said about those the better.

As much as people seem to think Nintendo are doing badly, they are far from being in a position to have to take drastic measures to continue as a company.
    Do you think the Wii-u will be the last home console they make and if so do you think they will still not release for the other next gen consoles?

I do have a lot of time for Nintendo as out of the 3 main players they always seem to be the leaders in innovation but of course with that comes the risk of failure which I think is the case with Wii-U as they have had over a year to push it forward and I personally see it as having no more than a year's life left in it.

No one makes games like Nintendo although many have tried even the best of the clone type platform games fall far short of Nintendo's standards so would see it as a sad day if some of these great games only end up existing on hand held consoles.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Handheld console with HDMI out to a TV... or a wireless solution.

We have seen Nintendo fail (harsh word) with devices before and they also know when to pull out of something, but the continue to innovate and you have to accept you will fail sometimes.

Failed devices (in my eyes):

R.O.B
    Zapper - Did it have any uses other than Duck Hunt? *EDIT* (Actually just read it supported quite a lot!)
    Super Scope 6
    The Various communication devices that Animal Crossing uses.
    Magic Glove

Some of them are iconic yes, but back then they could get away with it because demand was less and they bundled some of them with the machine.
    They pulled out of certain add ons and only released the N64DD in Japan as they knew it would fail in the west (timing).

Thinking about it now, I reckon they will sell a good few of these. Look at all the incarnations of the Gameboy, the Gameboy Advance (remember the mini) etc.. This will appeal to parents of young ones who are scared of the 3D harming their childs eye sight and it is also built to last as it has no hinge to break.

I believe we will see another console out of them, but they have to do something 'grown up' in order to win followers from the next generation.
    Last edited by Goldberg; 29th August 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if Nintendo brought out a new "new super Mario" 2d platformer out every 6 months on every platform they would be minted, whoever is in charge at ninny aint got a fuckin clue

I reckon they will stop making the big consoles and focus on the handheld/mobile market in future
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

they may drop home consoles, but looking at the whole scale of things, the handheld market is probably the one thats at the bigger risk from IOS and Android gaming.

The Wii-U may not be going anywhere fast at the moment, but I don't really think Nintendo are going to give up on it for a long time, without checking I would guess that it is still doing better than the N64 and Gamecube were at this stage in their lifetime. People seem to have forgotten what an almighty disaster the cube launch was.

It may well be time for Nintendo to drop out of the hardware side of things, but I dont think thats through a fault of their own entirely. They make games like no one else and they have stuck to their guns pretty much from day one. I fear that the gaming scene itself is just turning to shit and I cant see Nintendo producing dog shite games so they can sell them for 69p on the IOS market.

They do need to start embracing the online community though, which they seem to have started doing with current 3DS releases, its taken them a long fucking time though and they are still way off the mark.

If the Wii-U never gains any ground I can imagine them producing a few more handhelds and if that becomes a dead end they may just split up their divisions and 'do a sega', which would probably mean the end to the quality we have grown to expect from them. It looks like Miyamoto is ready to retire anyway.

Thanks to {{909}}

Bald Bouncer (29th August 2013)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12