Close

Thread: After Earth

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

SciFi After Earth

Now, im a massive Will Smith fan. I think he is a terrific actor, and has played his part well im some of my favourite movies (I am Legend, Seven Pounds, Pursuit of Happiness etc).

I am also a massive Sci-Fi fan, and to say I was excited about the trailer for After Earth was an understatement. However one thing bugged me...

His stupid son.

After seeing his "hello....... hello...... hello...." rap performance on Graham Norton I decided that he absolutely bugged the shit out of me. Ill give him his dues, he is trying to develop a career in his fathers shadow, but he is one annoying little prick.

From the start of the film, I knew something was off. There is no chemistry between the 2 actors, nothing, zilch. The dialogue is very flawed, and the acting is very poor from both actors.

The film also states that everything on the planet had evolved to specifically kill humans.... yet humans hadn't been on the planet for 1000 odd years so how could the creatures evolve to kill them???? Also if 1000 years have passed and the best evolution has to offer is a giant hawk, some angry monkeys, a angry lion and a big snake then I think we are all fucked.

Other mistakes pulled from a website:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Why havent the plants and sea creatures evolved?
    If the key to defeating the Ursa?s detecting fear ability is hiding in a glass dome, why not develop some sort of similar suit that all their soldiers can wear?
    Why hasnt medical technology advanced enough to replace limbs (soldier at the start who is missing a leg) - Yet Cypher can do a arterial bypass on himself.

So mankind has evolved to build spaceships, travel across the galaxy bla bla bla, yet the best they can do weapon wise if a double edged shapesifting spear?

Overall a very poor film, which was swiftly deleted from the hard drive after it was done with.

2/10 for the fact Will Smith appeared in it.

Thanks to CallmeGoose

macmilm (11th October 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: After Earth

I always watch a film with the intention of suspending belief and escaping reality for a couple of hours unless it's a true story, yeah the plot is full of flaws but for the time i spent watching it i was completely entertained.

7/10

Thanks to ilscuro

cyprus (11th October 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Jayden smith does my head in, new kid cunt of America. I've always been a will smith fan except Scientology...

3 Thanks given to evilsatan

CallmeGoose (10th October 2013),  macmilm (11th October 2013),  Mobileman (10th October 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I actually thought it was Will Smiths performance that let the film down the most. I was expecting Jayden to be awful so he didn't seem that bad.

What really confused me was Jaydens narration at the beginning in some gangsta voice where he doesn't pronounce words properly, even though during the rest of the film he spoke fine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Didn't rate this at all. Jayden Smith has to carry the film mostly on his own and he isn't up to it yet. Definately a pet project for Will Smith to get his son established as a big star. Average. 5/10

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I actually thought it was Will Smiths performance that let the film down the most. I was expecting Jayden to be awful so he didn't seem that bad.
    I'm guessing that is how his character was meant to be played so that his son could be the lead, we're all used to Will being a big character in his films and seeing him like this made the film pretty dismal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Didn't rate this at all. Jayden Smith has to carry the film mostly on his own and he isn't up to it yet. Definately a pet project for Will Smith to get his son established as a big star. Average. 5/10
    Completely agree, although I would like to add for his son to take more lead roles he needs to stop frowning soo much, he was doing it most of the time which for me ruined his character.

I've seen his son with him in the pursuit of happiness and thought he did ok but then he hardly had a line to say.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bored me to tears. 3/10.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

big fan of will smith stuff usually but this was utter crap, his son sadly doesnt seem to be a very good actor and just comes across as an annoying little shit, also the film itself i found quite boring and as callmegoose pointed out had plenty of flaws
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Most Dads would have bought him a Skateboard. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Rhinoz (11th October 2013)