Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default eBay sucks for sellers

What with the listing fee,reserve fee,final value fee,PayPal fee and now the 10% postage cost fee

They must be making money that fast the numbers spinning on the bank balance must be a blur

Then there's the buyers

I sold something on eBay, low value £25 so send 2nd class with a proof of posting

2 weeks later he emails to say he hasnt received it and demands a refund to his PayPal account or he'll neg me and report me to ebay

I tell him I won't refund UNLESS he reports it to eBay , so reluctantly he does

The options I get from eBay are

Refund the buyer
    youve already refunded the buyer
    provide tracking

I had no choice but to refund him but I'm fairly sure he's got the item, just fancies a mid month £25 bonus

Why would you wait 2 weeks before notifying a seller you hadn't got it

At the very least eBay should wait until I've claimed from the post office

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: eBay sucks for sellers

Because you have to give it ten days before you do.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The fees are ridiculous and the 10% postage charge is another dig as good sellers to stop the few people who sell an item for nothing with ridiculous postage charges to avoid fees.

Ebay has cornered the market though and no one else can get near them. Still use it for selling as it's the only was to get some items displayed to a large number of people.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sending first class or scum class, you can still get proof of posting form the post office.

It is not worth selling anything unless you are going to send recorded. There are alternatives, as much as people have a problem with Hermes delivery I actually think it is a fantastic service for the money.
    We have a few shops on the High Street where I can drop off a parcel, get proof and then it is collected and delivered. Recently sold my amp on here to Elephantsoup and the only courier that would ship to NI (without charging business rates) was Hermes. Two HUGE parcels, around 10kg each and the fee was £11 a box with full insurance. Royal Mail would charge over £20 for 1 within the UK Mainland.

As for eBay its self, yes it is becoming a painful experience at times for sellers and I often wonder when I buy cheap tat from China for a job, how they can make money. But there are alternatives. Gumtree for example I have used a few times recently as a seller and have had pleasant sales - Did not cost a penny and was cash in hand too.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gumtree is owned by ebay too. So watch out for fees coming to that.

Thanks to AD

Goldberg (22nd October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hence the latest Advertising campaign.. money behind them... cock
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree entirely. ON all forums I use these days all that's happening is buyers saying " I didn't receive the item or there's a problem with it" and demanding a refund. I can't be bothered with it anymore.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just been hit with £196 of fee's for my last months activity.
    Sold a few high price items but wish I had listed them some other places too.

Also had 2 buyers not complete the sale and the waiting to sort that out really annoyed me and then to top it all off you CAN'T leave them negative feedback, only a negative typed comment with a positive mark!!!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

It only seems to be more worth while for a shop front type outfit. Nothing else.

I gave up as a seller some time back and rarely buy from it now as often I can find the deal cheaper elsewhere online.

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know some of you dont bother with FB, but its all I use now to sell goods.
    If you search FB re: selling leeds there are hundreds of selling groups with thousands of seller/buyers in your town or close by.
    I sell computers all day long with no fee's or dumb coonts reporting me cos goods didn't arrives blar blar
    search your town you will be surprised.

edit: make a new FB account just for selling if you dont want any comebacks etc
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewburton79 View Post
    Just been hit with £196 of fee's for my last months activity.
    Sold a few high price items but wish I had listed them some other places too.

Also had 2 buyers not complete the sale and the waiting to sort that out really annoyed me and then to top it all off you CAN'T leave them negative feedback, only a negative typed comment with a positive mark!!!!!!
    I've just been hit with £39 fees the fckers
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi , my son sold some genuine footie boots, 30 days ltr the guy complained they were not genuine so Ebay after another 7 days of arguing decided that he sent them back and was to be reimbursed even though my son had shown Ebay the receipt of the boots , Don't trust ebay to be on the sellrs side

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gindo View Post
    Hi , my son sold some genuine footie boots, 30 days ltr the guy complained they were not genuine so Ebay after another 7 days of arguing decided that he sent them back and was to be reimbursed even though my son had shown Ebay the receipt of the boots , Don't trust ebay to be on the sellrs side
    I also got ripped off selling a phone.
    Buyer decided after 2 months he hadn't received the phone, he put a case in and EBay awarded in his favour.
    I posted it kept the receipt and the signature on the digital tracking was just a squiggle, which he denied any knowledge of.
    So I had proof of postage & delivery but still lost out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If someone is going to be a cunt, then you are going to get fucked, that applies to anything really. It is a shame that ebay seems to favour the buyer to a massive degree but if you are dealing with genuine people I find ebay to be by far the best selling experience.

I sold fuck tons of items before leaving the UK and while the fees were high, many of the items just wouldnt have been sold at all and if you are selling the right items in the right way you can make a sizable profit. I was really pleased how well my CD collection went on there and after expecting pennies for them, once my sales gained momentum I got above the RRP on many of them. Having that sort of service was well worth the fees in my case.

Out of probably 400+ unique sales on there in 6 months, I think I had maybe 3 or 4 issues with buyers, nothing got lost in the post and to be fair a couple of the issues were due to my half assed description or incorrect copy/pasting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are a lot of "USED" sites popping up around the country my local one is used dudley (Google it ) They are extremely busy and cost nothing to buy or sell ......i have bought quite a bit from there and never had a problem !
    As a side note .... Those of you that don't have one locally i.e. Scotland or London ? It wouldn't be a bad idea to start one up yourselves ? if they take off like the ones around here have ... i imagine the advertising revenue could be pretty good ...... just remember me when you are millionaires !
    Last edited by beaconboy; 23rd October 2013 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I sell a lot on eBay (business seller) my fees so far this month are £790! But as mentioned before there's no where else you can get the kind of exposure for your goods - I sell to all four corners of the world and most people are OK, there is always the odd one who will infuriate you - I got a neg from a guy in Netherlands 2 days after he bought from me because he was still waiting for delivery! also got ripped by a Turkish guy this month for £120 as he claimed non receipt after a month - eBay said I hadn't provided tracking I pointed out that I had and the tracking number was already logged with them and with paypal and it showed the package in Turkey - thats not good enough they said and awarded him a full refund...infuriating.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The way Ebay has no regard for their sellers is disgraceful ! No other business would get away with treating their customers in that way .... Thats why i only buy off there now ...
    Last edited by beaconboy; 23rd October 2013 at 10:20 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beaconboy View Post
    The way Ebay has no regard for their sellers is disgraceful ! No other business would get away with treating their customers in that way .... Thats why i only buy off there now ...
    Snap, any items I sell are locally on Facebook etc even avoid gumtree as seem full if idiots

Thanks
    Karma Level

Me and the missus use the facebook groups. We even got our second hand sofa in there. Only bad thing is that she is always sending me out to collect stuff. Also we have sold some stuff on there we were gonna.chuck away. Use facebook least ur dealing fave to face with the person. Altho somtimes you do get some chav cunts wanting somthing for.nothing also a lot of these groups have rules to

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

11 years. 8 Posts. Lurker extraordinaire!
    Will come back with a response - eventually!

By then, eBay would have gone under due to no-one wanting to get ripped off selling their shit on there anymore.

I've been flogging stuff on Gumtree and Facebook selling pages more lately.
    Dealing with people face to face again - old skool baby!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast