Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Live streaming of tonights keynote

Live on your computer, Apple devices through this link. Also on the Apple TV 2 and 3 with software 5.0.2 and higher.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

I will tune in whilst making dinner to see which new iPad the wife will be buying me as a gift.

Streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later; or QuickTime 7 on Windows. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Live streaming of tonights keynote

Thanks to MsDG

Tim.Lad (22nd October 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24629711

Apple shows off thinner iPad Air and retina iPad Mini

The BBC's Richard Taylor has a look at Apple's latest tablet

Apple has unveiled a top-of-the-range tablet called the iPad Air that is 20% thinner than the previous version.

The 9.7in (24.6cm) computer is 7.5mm (0.3in) thick and weighs 1lb (469g), which the firm claims is the lightest full-sized tablet on the market.
    It is powered by the same A7 chip found in the company's iPhone 5S.
    The launch comes at a time when some analysts have suggested that Google's Android is about to overtake Apple's iOS as the bestselling tablet platform.
    Apple also announced a new version of its iPad Mini.
    Its 7.9in (20cm) screen has been upgraded to feature 2048 by 1536 pixels - the same as the larger model. It is being branded as "retina" to highlight the increased resolution.
    Amazon and Google have already announced small tablets - the Kindle Fire HDX and Nexus 7 - with similar high definition displays.
    "We've got the retina upgrade to the smaller iPad that many thought should have been there in the first place," Tony Cripps, principal analyst at tech consultants Ovum, reflected after the announcement in San Francisco.

The iPad Mini's new screen has 326 pixels per inch, similar to the 323ppi resolution of the Nexus 7

"Market share slip is inevitable because so many rival devices are coming out, which is not necessarily a bad thing as the overall sector is growing.
    "Apple does now have a cheaper model thanks to it offering the original iPad Mini at a lower price - but the firm doesn't really want to go to the low-end because that's not where the greatest profit is extracted."
    Apple also announced that the latest version of its Mac operating system, Mavericks, would be offered at no cost to owners of computers already running any version of OS X released since 2009. It is the first time the company has not charged for a major Mac OS upgrade.
    By contrast the full version of Windows 8.1 is sold for about £100, although it is free to existing Windows 8 users.
    Linux-based Ubuntu has always been offered without charge. Chromebook computers also get free upgrades for Google's PC operating system.
    New laptops, productivity and leisure apps were also unveiled. However, Apple did not show off a new TV set-top box as some had speculated.

Tablet competition

The California-based firm's most recent financial release said that its iPad range accounted for $25.8bn (£17.6bn) worth of sales in the nine months leading up to July.

That represented 19% of its revenue for the period.
    However, Apple acknowledged that the amount of money it was making from the product line was growing three times slower than the growth in unit sales since many customers were opting for its cheaper iPad Mini and iPad 2 models rather than its top-of-the -range "retina display" versions.

Apple chief executive Tim Cook said the firm had sold more than 170 million iPads

It also faces the fact it is losing market share to rivals.
    Apple's iOS operating system accounted for 53.9% of all tablets shipped in 2012, according to Gartner.
    The tech research firm forecasts that Android will become the market leader with a 49.6% share, versus Apple's 48.6% this year, adding that it expects that gap to widen further in 2014.
    However, consultants at IHS iSuppli said those figures needed to be put in context thanks to Apple's success at making money by taking a cut of app sales.
    "It is in terms of revenue per active device where Apple's lead is strongest," said the firm's mobile media analyst Jack Kent.
    "An iOS device generates around three to four times as much app revenue through Apple's App Store as an Android device through Google Play.
    "Apple has so far offered a more compelling range of tablet-specific content, but Google is clearly looking to address this."
    He added that many Android tablets, including Amazon's Kindle and most products sold in China, did not have Google's store pre-installed.
    Apple's chief executive Tim Cook noted there were now 475,000 apps designed for iPads available through its online marketplace.

Apple's software chief Craig Federighi said the new Mac OS X Mavericks system would extend laptops' battery life

But another market watcher suggested that Apple's priority remained securing a "premium" margin on the shop price of its hardware, and that add-on software sales were of secondary interest.
    "Some players, like Amazon, can afford to slash prices because they have a different business model based on content and commerce," said Thomas Husson, from the tech industry analysts Forrester.
    "While Apple has shared $13bn to developers since 2008, it has made less than $6bn out of apps.
    "It's a huge stat, but low in comparison with Apple's quarterly results."

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well that's disappointing, but no less than what I have come to expect from these releases. So to sum it up the new iPad is smaller and lighter, is faster and has a better camera. Well of course they will be faster, you generally expect Apple to improve the camera but I expected more than just smaller and lighter. I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5, Apple have managed to get a gadget addict like me to keep my outdated gadgets for longer so I suppose in a way I should thank them but I'd rather a bit more innovation.

I may possibly get the new iPad as I carry mine around with a laptop and laptop charger all day and the weight/size difference would be handy but as mine doesn't feel slow in any shape or form I might just stick with it as I am used to the weight and size.

As for the iPad mini, they have just added retina which should have been in there originally.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will update to the mini with Retina next year. I will be investing in the Smart Case though when they are released and that is compatible with both.

I am not a fan of the 'normal size' iPads. I bought the first one back in the day and we still have it in the kitchen on a speaker dock and use it as a TV/Recipe finder/radio etc.. and it works well for that. But the mini is much more 'portable'. If I want the full screen I just get the Air out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love my ipad 3 but this is a load of tosh.

The ipad is slightly thinner/lighter and the mini has a higher res screen, what a shocker. Id rather they kept the size the same (so all the same cases fit) and improved the battery, its not like the device is too thick but the battery could definitely be better.

I wonder if they saved the fingerprint scanner for next years revolution.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just noticed in the comparisons of iPads that the Air, mini and mini with Retina has 'Face Recognition' - the iPad 2 does not.. Is the Face Recognition the fingerprint scanner equivalent or is it part of that feature that lets you move your head to do certain things (all in settings, Evilsatan posted a link a few weeks back).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can see Face Detection in the comparisons but not Face Recognition?

Face Detection is just when using the camera, it recognises when a face is in the picture I think?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah ok, my bad got the terminology wrong. Simply focuses on the face.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bit thinner, bit lighter, bit better camera, is it Apples failure to innovate now or is there not much else to add to them? Surprised the fingerprint scanner isn't included.

Might think about upgrading from my ipad 2 for the better screen etc but no incentive there for anyone with either of the last 2 iterations to bother.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hasn't the face thing also got to do with shaking your head to control the iDevice? It's a feature on iOS7 on newer devices, if completely pointless to most...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried it once. It works but it is rubbish really

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    I wonder if they saved the fingerprint scanner for next years revolution.
    Hmm.. unless they pull the same stunt they did with the ipad 3 to ipad 4 where they updated after 6 months.... just after I'd bought a 3...bastards.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Conkers View Post
    Hmm.. unless they pull the same stunt they did with the ipad 3 to ipad 4 where they updated after 6 months.... just after I'd bought a 3...bastards.

yup, same happened to me. The pad 3 was delayed about 4 months here in China, and I got one after it had been around for about 2 months so the announcement of the ipad4 was literally days after I got mine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Missed the boat again I feel. They might finally get there head from up there arses when the realise the fanboi base is dwindling down slowly