Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News David Haye Injured Again, Fury Fight Off - Faces Retirement

Injured Haye faces retirement after shoulder surgery

Hayemaker Boxing regret to inform that former world heavyweight and cruiserweight champion David 'The Hayemaker' Haye underwent five hours of surgery in Germany on Thursday morning (14 November) to reconstruct his right shoulder, and has since been told to seriously consider ending his glittering 11-year professional boxing career.

The operation was to the right subscapularis and bicep tendon attachments, both of which were ruptured.

“I genuinely believed the shoulder injury wasn't that bad,” said Haye. “But the doctor sent me for a detailed MRI scan and within 24 hours I was told the full extent of the damage. Twenty-four hours after that I was in the operating theatre.

“It's a crushing blow for me. I had big plans for next year and the ultimate goal was to win back the world heavyweight title, something my amazing fans deserve. What I didn't anticipate was that this year would be the unluckiest of my career and that a number of injuries would disrupt my plans so much. Perhaps it just wasn't meant to be. The boxing Gods keep hinting that maybe enough is enough and that it's time to finally hang up my gloves.”

This latest injury obviously means Haye will now cancel his proposed February 8 bout with Tyson Fury on the advice of doctors.

“The surgery and subsequent results are a bitter pill to swallow because I truly felt I had a lot more to offer and was looking forward to paying back my loyal fans with some great fights in 2014,” said Haye. “But I've been boxing for 23 years now, amateur and pro, and this has clearly taken its toll on my body. “I can only offer my sincerest apologies to all those fans who have followed me over the years and, like me, wanted to finish on a real high. This wasn't how I wanted to end 2013."

“If I'm now destined to have won the European Championship, the Unified World Cruiserweight Championship and the WBA Heavyweight Championship of the world - with a record of 28 fights, 26 wins, 24 victories coming via knockout and only two defeats - then so be it. I'm proud of these achievements and consider my boxing career a huge success.”

*** All fans with tickets to Haye vs. Fury on February 8 should go to their point of sale for a refund. Hayemaker Boxing apologise for the inconvenience caused ***

Source
    Last edited by rIKmAN; 18th November 2013 at 08:00 AM.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: David Haye Injured Again, Fury Fight Off - Faces Retirement

That's a shame

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

The guy is a bum, full of big talk but never delivered at the highest level.
    And let's be fair the heavyweight division is pretty poor and unbelievably dull
    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a bit harsh calling him a bum ? .... What people seem to forget is that Haye was the best cruiser-weight on the planet before he had to move up to heavyweight to get into the big money fights .
    Considering he is not a natural heavyweight he has done incredibly well to get as far as he has and the guy certainly knows how to promote a fight .... i am not convinced that this is the end ? he may have had an offer from one of the Klitchko's to fight for a world title next year ...so may not want to jepoardise a huge payday by fighting Tyson Fury who might have got a lucky punch in !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beaconboy View Post
    ...so may not want to jepoardise a huge payday by fighting Tyson Fury who might have got a lucky punch in !
    Just want to comment on this and also the theory from the Fury camp that Dave Haye is scared to fight him. I just cannot see how Dave Haye has had any control over this or his previous injury. To suggest that he would intentionally rupture tendons in his shoulder that requires major surgery in order to preserve his shot at the Vitali or because his was scared to fight is a bit extreme. For me, what you see is how it is i.e. he has fucked his shoulder up big time and he will probably never fight again.

Massive shame and I hope the repair goes well so he can get back in the ring.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beaconboy View Post
    Its a bit harsh calling him a bum ? .... What people seem to forget is that Haye was the best cruiser-weight on the planet before he had to move up to heavyweight to get into the big money fights .
    Considering he is not a natural heavyweight he has done incredibly well to get as far as he has and the guy certainly knows how to promote a fight .... i am not convinced that this is the end ? he may have had an offer from one of the Klitchko's to fight for a world title next year ...so may not want to jepoardise a huge payday by fighting Tyson Fury who might have got a lucky punch in !
    To be fair he was the best cruiser weight in the world, but was there any stars in that division?
    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Karma Level

Flukesy, I agree but you can only beat whats put in front of you and he did that!!! I think this is a shame, yes he is arrogant and acts like a cock sometimes but what boxers don't??!! Haye deffo had what it takes to do well in the heavyweights, i feel sure he would of beat Vitali Klitschko, Tyson has proved nothing nor did Chisora or Harrison all beaten by Haye (I feel sure he would of beaten him) I have watched Haye against Ruiz for his first defense, he is an utter showman but isnt that what we like about boxing..

Hope he stays retired rather than coming back and causing himself real injury. Anyway.... Froch.. now thats a true champ...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by k11jrp View Post
    Flukesy, I agree but you can only beat whats put in front of you and he did that!!! I think this is a shame, yes he is arrogant and acts like a cock sometimes but what boxers don't??!! Haye deffo had what it takes to do well in the heavyweights, i feel sure he would of beat Vitali Klitschko, Tyson has proved nothing nor did Chisora or Harrison all beaten by Haye (I feel sure he would of beaten him) I have watched Haye against Ruiz for his first defense, he is an utter showman but isnt that what we like about boxing..

Hope he stays retired rather than coming back and causing himself real injury. Anyway.... Froch.. now thats a true champ...
    Not arguing about you can only beat what's in front of you, but let's not make him out to be a true world beater.
    It's a real pity the only quality (if I can use that word) in the heavyweight division are 7' gargantuan Ivan Drago lookalikes.
    It would have been nice if we had some Tyson/Holyfield types of higher quality for Haye to have stood toe to toe with, rather than having to get inside a long long jab. We may have seen the best of Haye if it weren't for these giant monsters

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good riddance, if he never fights again.
    The only credit he deserves, is that he made a little talent and a big mouth go a long way.

Thanks
    Karma Level

He's half the fighter he was before Klitsch beat him. His confidence in his ability was well shaken.

Something doesn't smell right about the excuses. Broken toe, the almost surgically precise cut that called off the last fight, now this shoulder business. I'll only believe it when I see more pictures of surgery scarring and such. Anyone with his money could stage a picture such as the one above. George Groves leaving Adam Booths camp only added more speculation for me.