Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bull Lawsuit Paid In Full: Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion sending 30 trucks full of 5 cent

Lawsuit Paid In Full: Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion sending 30 trucks full of 5 cent coins

This morning more than 30 trucks filled with 5-cent coins arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California.
    Initially, the security company that protects the facility said the trucks were in the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung

CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.samsung-pays-apple-1-billion-sending-30-trucks-full-of-5-cents-coins
    The funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send the creators of the iPhone their billion dollars in the way they deem best.
    This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives as they will need to put in long hours counting all that money, to check if it is all there and to try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept all the coins.
    Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style” and that if they want to play dirty, they also know how to do it.

You can use your coins to buy refreshments at the little machine for life or melt the coins to make computers, that’s not my problem, I already paid them and fulfilled the law.

A total of 20 billion coins, delivery hope to finish this week.
    Let’s see how Apple will respond to this.

SOURCE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only!! Snopes has this down as a hoax, but did make me chuckle.
    Sod being the one having to check it's all there! lol

4 Thanks given to DejaVu

QfanatiQ (20th November 2013),  strife (25th November 2013),  tips (20th November 2013),  WRATH OF BOD (20th November 2013)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Lawsuit Paid In Full: Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion sending 30 trucks full of 5 c

Now thats one way to get your own back

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Lawsuit Paid In Full: Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion sending 30 trucks full of 5 c

fantastic..lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

old and fake

2 Thanks given to raelmadrid

rIKmAN (20th November 2013),  Sanj[UK] (22nd November 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

i would hate 2 count it by hand

Thanks
    Karma Level

quite funny but doubt there are that many of those coins out there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by raelmadrid View Post
    old and fake
    Thats a shame! I love the idea of this!

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep old and a myth, would have been funny though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm choosing to believe and no one can stop me!

So, I wonder, how did they arrange getting all those coins?!

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by QfanatiQ View Post
    I'm choosing to believe and no one can stop me!

So, I wonder, how did they arrange getting all those coins?!

Q
    stahp

Claim: Samsung paid off a $1.05 billion judgment awarded to Apple in a patent infringement lawsuit entirely in nickels.

FALSE

Example:[Collected via e-mail, August 2012]

A funny story is sweeping the internet. Samsung paid $1.05 billion to Apple by sending 30 trucks containing five-cent coins. Is it true?

Origins: In August 2012, the business and technology worlds were rocked by a decision in a patent infringement lawsuit which had a jury finding that Samsung, the world's largest maker of cell phones, had copied patented features of Apple's iPhone and iPad technologies in several of its products, and awarding Apple $1.05 billion in damages.

Several days later, that decision was spoofed in a humor piece (translated from the original Spanish) positing that Samsung had paid off the award in nickels:Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins

This morning more than 30 trucks filled with 5-cent coins arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said the trucks were in the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

The funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send the creators of the iPhone their billion dollars in the way they deem best.
    Many readers who came across the article as it was circulated online mistook it for real news, even though the original and its most common reproductions were labeled as "humor" and "satire." But even for those who encountered it out of context, several aspects of the story should have stood out as implausible:
    • The jury decision awarding Apple $1.05 billion in damages had been issued only a few days earlier, and damages as large as this are not paid off nearly so quickly. The judge in the case had not yet handed down her decision, and undoubtedly several rounds of appeals (likely culminating in a settlement), dragging on for months (if not years), would take place before Samsung actually paid out any damages to Apple, as noted in the Washington Post:Q. Was the verdict final?

A. No. Samsung is challenging it. First, Samsung will first ask the trial judge to toss the verdict. Then it will appeal to a court in Washington that specializes in patent appeals. Samsung has vowed to take the fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, if necessary.
      (Indeed, a judge later found the jury had miscalculated $400 million in damages for 13 products and ordered a new trial to determine how much Samsung should pay. That trial got underway in November 2013 and is still in process.)
    • To pay off a billion dollars in nickels would require 20 billion of those coins. That amount would require Samsung to obtain the equivalent of all the nickels struck by the U.S. Mint in the last several decades. (In 2011, for example, the U.S. Mint produced less than one billion nickels, and 2010 less than half a billion.) Samsung would have to round up virtually every nickel in circulation to acquire over $1 billion worth of those coins, a feat that could hardly be accomplished without having a significant impact on the U.S. monetary system.
    • A single nickel weights 5 grams (about .011 pounds), so a billion dollars' worth of nickels would weigh in at about 110,000 tons. That load would far exceed the carrying capacity of 30 or so trucks (requiring each truck to carry over 3,600 tons, or more than 7.2 million lbs. each). Even if the considerable weight of the trucks themselves weren't taken into account, the equivalent of about 2,755 eighteen-wheeler trucks, each hauling 40 tons' worth of nickels, would be needed to transport the weight of that many coins (and even that calculation still doesn't take into account the volume of physical space needed to assemble, transport, and store 20 billion nickels).

As to the hypothetical question of whether Apple would be obligated to accept payment of damages in such a form, since the late 19th century pennies and nickels have been considered legal tender and are therefore "a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor." (Businesses selling goods or services are not required by law to accept legal tender as payment, but this particular scenario involves payment of a debt rather than a purchase of goods or services.)

Last updated: 12 November 2013
    Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/satir...7toaQGvBw5f.99

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    If only!! Snopes has this down as a hoax, but did make me chuckle.
    Sod being the one having to check it's all there! lol

It's doing the rounds again and being as I missed it last time around, I thought I'd give it a mention.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It takes a special kind of gullible to believe that one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What is sad is that there will be a lot of Apple haters who would be like... 'Way to go Samsung!!! stick it to those rainbow faggots.. Woohoo!!!!'
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

flumperino (20th November 2013),  ZX7R (21st November 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    What is sad is that there will be a lot of Apple haters who would be like... 'Way to go Samsung!!! stick it to those rainbow faggots.. Woohoo!!!!'
    By Apple haters, do you mean those who find the whole lawsuit to be bullshit? Because paint me an Apple hater, if so.

Although... I am also a Samsung hater. They use the same marketing gimmicks and lobbying power as Apple, just not as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Dammit, that's pretty much verbatim what I thought

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I hate Apple with a passion.
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    By Apple haters, do you mean those who find the whole lawsuit to be bullshit? Because paint me an Apple hater, if so.
    Two massive corporates with more money than sense slugging it out, why should anyone pick sides? And for the record Samsung has filed its fair share of bullshit litigation against Apple, its just that they haven't been as successful.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

HTC FTW!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    HTC FTW!
    HTC = Hate This Crap

P.S Its all about the LG G2
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LG Nexus 4

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast