Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fucking Leeches

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fucking Leeches

Quote Originally Posted by 1616french View Post
    I`m almost too scared to make my first post,just joined to get some info on the Now TV box i`ve bought.
    I`m basically hopeless with any sort of gadgets,my 4 yr old daughter knows how to get around a computer better than me!
    I hope you`ll not class me as a leech and maybe i can give some input on something i`m good at....Drinking beer and moaning a lot!
    Well thats what my wife says i`m good at.
    Just kick back have a read then gradually get involved, if you are after instant gratification in the form of information and help unfortunately you have come to the wrong place, this is a community of like minded people who share knowledge and information and does not gain in any way from new members signing up or visitors, members share and help each other and because of this are unwilling to help anyone just joining to glean information never to be seen again but are more than happy to share with people who join to become part of the community long term.

4 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

1616french (22nd December 2013),  4me2 (22nd December 2013),  Detector (28th January 2014),  Nibb (25th December 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I`m almost too scared to make my first post,just joined to get some info on the Now TV box i`ve bought.
    I`m basically hopeless with any sort of gadgets,my 4 yr old daughter knows how to get around a computer better than me!
    I hope you`ll not class me as a leech and maybe i can give some input on something i`m good at....Drinking beer and moaning a lot!
    Drinking beer is always good - leave your moaning in the whine cellar and like the others have said don't ask for everything you want in your first few posts and you'll get on fine.

It's a fine line between asking for help and leeching, generally most of the info people want is already posted and they just need to use the search function - but - more often than not most new people to the forum only join because they want a specific bit of info and expect it to be spoon fed to them as soon as they ask for it. That's the sort of attitude that usually gets them banned before they have made their required number of posts to access the hidden bits - they make them selves stand out by posting rubbish (saying thanks for the info on a 2year old post etc, and other silly stuff just to get what they want).

Enjoy this place - it could end up becoming your second home - it feels like you've had a limb removed when we're down for glitches or server maintenance

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks to Northernbloke

4me2 (22nd December 2013)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I`m almost too scared to make my first post.
    Thats a good start.
    Forum etiquette is with a softly softly approach. Members here have been on here for years and its now part of their everyday life.
    For new people to come along a shit all over the board, it gets backs up.

We don't bite, we just prefer members to help others before themselves.

If a new member is completely useless at tech, post a few decent jokes, share some pictures/gifs or even nude ex-girlfriend pictures... it's the DF way!

6 Thanks given to DejaVu

4me2 (22nd December 2013),  JONNYG (22nd December 2013),  littlebilly1 (22nd December 2013),  Northernbloke (22nd December 2013),  stevo25 (22nd December 2013),  Zoots (22nd December 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by diablos View Post
    I'm only here for the ondig codes after all i got banned from Modshack for posting them early.

Oh for the good old days.
    That's what a lot of people tend to forget.

DF's success in it's hay day was due to leeches coming in for Ondigi codes and PSX (not allowed to be discussed) stuff.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest if somone posts. My sky box is scrambled etc. But i have googled and tried this and tried that i see no problem in helping as least they can prove they have attemted to look for solutiond before asking

Thanks to rookie

Pault56 (27th February 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    To be honest if somone posts. My sky box is scrambled etc. But i have googled and tried this and tried that i see no problem in helping as least they can prove they have attemted to look for solutiond before asking
    They tend to get an answer and are never seen again, there are thousand upon thousands here who have made a couple of posts never to return. Eventually the database gets so huge that some poor bugger (usually BB) has to start pruning....
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

rookie (23rd December 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ha Ha. I came to learn about OnDigital too. That was 12 years ago...!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Ha Ha. I came to learn about OnDigital too. That was 12 years ago...!
    Same here hahaa, Good old days of Elvis programmer and Kevlar image.... Think I've still got my Elvis programmer somewhere

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JONNYG View Post
    Same here hahaa, Good old days of Elvis programmer and Kevlar image.... Think I've still got my Elvis programmer somewhere
    Pmsl deja vu same here. 20 post before entry I think. Goldies fun cards. And not forgetting my favourite dasdl mk find. I think

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

I understand what people are saying here, I've recently found the world of the skybox but I'm past that stage I'm looking further into things and building up my knowledge in the back ground but I would hope that I could still have a little input into threads if I know something or can help but don't want to come across as a spamming leaching dickwipe to get my post count up.

I'm registered on a lot of forums for all different things and I find them very helpful and some good people on them-I have only had one bad experience from a forum that was very hostile.

ive had a skybox for nearly 2 years and I know about them and how to set them up etc so you won't get new topics asking the same old questions from me.

Because of the nature of these cheap boxes there accessible to anyone to buy but not all can set them up-my old man couldn't setup the sound on his tv but he wants one of these boxes lol
    ill point him to this forum (joke)

ken

3 Thanks given to kendog

beerman (24th December 2013),  DejaVu (24th December 2013),  muttleymacclad (24th December 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Drinking beer and moaning a lot!
    If youre good at drinking beer and making her moan youre in!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    What can we do to stop them?
    Seems over the last few weeks we've had an influx of leeches on the Skybox stuff, I know it's become more active, including me learning a lot more (thanks Det)

But it seem everyday a new person joins for info on a Skybox!
    Worries me tbh......
    Now the flood gates have opened! I'd imagine someone somewhere is working to crush us ! :-/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its interesting as a new member looking over the forum and about to reply to a post then realise its a year old so you dont bother. You dont want to be seen as a leech which is difficult when many members that have been here for a while will have seen the same questions over and over from new members. It is understandable that there is only so many times you want to give advice on the same subject again and again but unfortunately thats what some people think other members are here for. As I said in my welcome post its been a while since I played about with firmware flashing and things but it was a nice feeling knowing you had released the potential from a bit of kit and saved yourself a good few quid in the meantime.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The idea is to keep fresh posts separate from older ones. If you have a query and it's related to an old post, there is nothing stopping new users referring to an old thread in a new one - ala "As mentioned in this thread here - http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...p/969680-Hello" (Or digital-forums.com/showthread.php/969680-Hello pasted without http: // www as I believe you cannot see the link yet.

We just don't appreciate a year old thread being dredged back up if it's solved or gone stale.
    Main reason being, in the technology world, a year is a lifetime and a lot can change in that time.

Each post represents a new query/discussion on a topic in a different time frame.

As for going over things over and over and over again... we don't mind doing it, so long as the new user has made the effort to at least search the forums and try to find the answer themselves first.

We do not have anything against new members at all and welcome them all with open arms. It's the ones that sign in once ask for an answer and never return again - the Radio Code request forum is the prime example - their the ones we are on the look out for and usually spot them a mile off and are banned within 1-3 posts.

Congratulations for slipping through the net.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    If a new member is completely useless at tech, post a few decent jokes, share some pictures/gifs or even nude ex-girlfriend pictures... it's the DF way!
    Or even your current wife / gf I'm sure no one would mind.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

one sure fire way to make yourself a member would be to post pictures of naked midgets.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    one sure fire way to make yourself a member would be to post pictures of naked midgets.

Just for you det !!!!
    Spoiler:

Thanks to macmilm

Northernbloke (28th January 2014)  

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

HMMPH.
    A wise man once said " "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12