DS XL Charging issue

Thread: DS XL Charging issue

beerman said:

Default DS XL Charging issue

Someone has given me a DS XL to have a look at. It doesn't power on (probably due to no charge) and when a charger is plugged in the charge light comes on for a second and then turns itself off. Reading around people mention giving the connector a wiggle to make sure it's making contact but this doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Any ideas on how to fix?

{{909}} said:

Default Re: DS XL Charging issue

Check the charger first, but it sounds very much like one of the fuses on the mainboard has gone. Its not an easy fix unless you are pretty nifty with a soldering iron.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

AD said:

As {{909}} said check the fuses first but a lot of the time it will be water damage. Check for signs on the mainboard (Check closely on the board for white residue and also on the back of the screen)

Clean off with isopro or mek and then flux the area and reflow/solder the parts. Sometimes it will work, sometimes the parts get damaged.

beerman said:

I took the thing apart and now realise I need a magnifying glass. My eyes just aren't good enough to see the fuses let alone attempt to fix them. I assume I could get away with just bridging the connection instead of replacing the fuses?

{{909}} said:

you can, but its not the best solution as you probably know.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

beerman said:

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    you can, but its not the best solution as you probably know.
    Yeah I know it's not the best solution but I really can't be bothered to buy some fuses and fix it. It's for someone who would give me things to fix and not much gratitude so a botched job will do.

fanni said:

I've had loads of these Sometimes I the battery gets too low and won't allow it to charge try another battery if you can

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

beerman said:

Quote Originally Posted by fanni View Post
    I've had loads of these Sometimes I the battery gets too low and won't allow it to charge try another battery if you can

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    I have no spare battery and I'll be fecked if I'm buying one out of my pocket to test. I might just give it back and tell her to send it to one of the ebay repairers.