Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Microsoft Security Essentials misses 39% of malware in Dennis test Read more: Micros

The latest tests from Dennis Publishing's security labs saw Microsoft Security Essentials fail to detect 39% of the real-world malware thrown at it.

Dennis Technology Labs (DTL) tested nine home security products on a Windows 7 PC, including Security Essentials, which is distributed free to Windows users and built into Windows 8 in the form of Windows Defender.

While the other eight packages all achieved protection scores of 87% or higher - with five scoring 98% or 99% - Microsoft's free antivirus software protected against only 61% of the malware samples used in the test.

Microsoft conceded last year that its security software was intended to offer only "baseline" performance, saying it wanted to "give customers a good reason to pay for their [security] products" because that would create greater diversity in the market and make life harder for malware writers.

Nevertheless, the company insisted that Security Essentials provided "strong, comprehensive defence against malicious code and attacks".

Norton Internet Security received the strongest protection rating in DTL's tests, detecting 99% of the malware used. Taking into account false positives against legitimate software, Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 provided the best overall level of protection.

The full results from Dennis Technology Labs can be downloaded here, along with results for small business and enterprise software.

Read more: Microsoft Security Essentials misses 39% of malware in Dennis test | Security | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security...#ixzz2oJAxlgCX

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft Security Essentials misses 39% of malware in Dennis test Read more: Mi

Oh dear... I might have to rethink my current practice. I have been using MSE on client machines for a long time now as it's fairly light on resources and seemed to do a decent job. Since Cryptolocker I have also been running MBAM Pro alongside MSE and recommending my clients did the same.

Might go back to Avast but that seems to take up much more resources and it has caused problems blocking VPN connections for some clients using Citrix gateway.

Thanks to evilsatan

Doctor Who (23rd December 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft Security Essentials misses 39% of malware in Dennis test Read more: Mi

MSSE seemed to be pretty good when it first came out but it's gradually turned pretty shit. My home pc kept getting reinfected until I just gave up and now just run with an infected machine.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm in the same boat. I only use MSE and malware bytes pro.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Never trusted it TBH, and now I have good reason!

I stick with a copy of ESET or whatever else I can get a legit license of from work.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

eset n mbam for last 6 or so years both hooky and legit now so will stay with it until hear bad news on them

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Eset was always my favourite but whenever you try to sell a product to certain types of clients they get a bit suspicious, especially when they have never heard of it before. I know that is their problem but an ignorant person can cause a lot of damage to reputation when it comes to word of mouth. My client book had now moved from predominantly residential customers to mainly businesses, I am hoping to take someone on who will deal with all residential so I am focused on businesses as they are a lot more clued up.

Thanks to evilsatan

Mobileman (24th December 2013)