Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Humax Replacement

Hi, i have a Humax freesat hdr that i want to replace with either a VU+ Duo or a skybox which seem very popular at present. I'm not needing it to be 'Smart' I have an apple tv2 that I'm yet to jb that can do those things. So a box that I'd like is one with a twin tuner and that can record but most importantly be reliable and easy to use (operationally and TV guide menu), especially in fta mode. If I was to look into using it with a sky sub type thing, I'd also want it to be reliable especially in keeping it working in fta.

The box I think would be best is a vu+ duo. What concerns me is the cost of a box if it won't do the basics. The threat of the paid for channels being stopped for hd and even sd is also a pain if it were to be used it that way. I hear lots about skybox's being popular but seem far too cheap. As for how they work and how long for isn't something I know much about, or other boxes that might do what I need.

Hopefully you might be able to advise me on which path to choose

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Humax Replacement

If you get a Vu Duo you won't need a Skybox

The Vu works great as free air to box with or without a cline added to it. You can add plugins such as crossepg which will give you a seven day epg.

Loads of plug-ins available as well which will give you iplayer etc. The TSmedia plugin will also give you access to streamed movies sites such as 1channel and some IPTV channels.

Thanks to kroner

dainese (10th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I take it that if there was a choice between a VU or a skybox, you'd always go for the VU? Do they work in the exact same way to get channels? I'm glad you recommend the VU as a freesat HDR using the plugins. The mrs won't be impressed if I swapped the Humax for something she can't operate!

I have read here that hd channels had stopped working, on certain channels. Has an exploit be found now to overcome this? I see 'sky 12 month gift' advertised all over the place which concerns me on how available it seems to be especially with skybox's. surely this will be clamped down on as back in the old Ntl days, this sort of thing was very hard to find without knowing where to go and a bit of DIY.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

HD channels working fine here on a skybox via a method that can't be discussed openly. Would I recommend one, not a chance. Go with the VU, it'll have more features, be less buggy, faster for channel changes, etc.

Thanks to beerman

dainese (11th January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

No disrespect to the guys using the Skybox but they are just a basic entry level box. For a few quid more you can get a Spiderbox with built in wifi better menus and a IPTV plugin.

The Vu still needs a manual channel upload the same as the Skybox but there's a control centre proggy that's just one click and upload the box.

There is also custom images you use on the Vu so you can pick and choose which image suits you.

All channels are working fine at the moment but like with anything that uses an exploit you pay your money and take your chances. My line is run from my server so i know the line is good with the best possible ecm times for low glitching.

I wouldn't go for a 12 month gift to be honest, test a few lines first and see which works best for you Most of the pay servers will give you options for 3 - 6 months etc.
    Last edited by kroner; 10th January 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks to kroner

Thanks
    Karma Level

i bought a gigablue quad and i absolutely love it.

i run the VIX image with a $ky skin

Thanks to tiggerbiker

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Vu Duo everytime!!

Get a clone if you cant afford the real thing!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks to Nibb

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll give a gigablue a google but the VU duo seems the right choice. I know it's been out a while, but i cant justify getting a Solo2 due to not needing the other 'smart' functions. Hopefully the Duo is fast enough. It has been dropped in price. WOS list it for £199 without a hdd and £249 with 500gb. Then there's a choice of image, VIX sounds good with the sky skin might be ideal!