Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Plex Media Server to NowTV. Transcoding/Streaming requirements test.

I've had a couple of buffering probs since I got 2 nowtvs connected if my dad logs on using Firefox. Got him a nowtv but he still uses his PC now and again. I have had 3 nowtvs connected at the same time and had no problems at all
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Plex Media Server to NowTV. Transcoding/Streaming requirements test.

Liking the sound of plextools - Do you have any guides handy on using it & general channel installation.
    Also does it convert any newly retrieved shows to MP4 or do you only grab mp4 releases?

Update from me:

Setup PMS on my server (AMD Quad Phenom 9150e, 4gb ram, 15TB)

Streamed a tv show ep from my server to my iPhone 5 (on 3G) and worked flawlessly.
    Also installed plex on a NowTV and streamed a couple of movies etc - all flawless

Also realised you can share your library with mates, a friend tried my library on his laptop and it worked a treat, I can only manage 2 concurrent streams atm, thought I would be able to get 3 streams tbh

Big test is to install it on my HTPC - going to get the OpenElec version as thats why I have been using for XBMC too. As long as it can do direct play, pass through DTS HD and has options for scaling the video (16:9, zoom etc) its looking likely I will make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Nope - although Plex Pass is recommended as well.

Forgot all about this thread. XBMC is history for me, I got the transcoding settings perfect now.
    I used a Channel called PlexTools to convert all my TV Shows into MP4. Kept all my MKV/DTS files intact and getting the settings pitched perfect has me sold to Plex.

I have just bought a new Android TV Box thats preloaded with XBMC and Mashup etc, I've installed PlexBMC, but although it works, its not Plex.

Been looking the last few days at making this Android Box better Plex trying to work out a way to get PHT on it via Linux or similar. Maybe even dual booting OpenElec versions of Plex/XBMC.

Conclusion. Once you've tried and understood Plex and the the things its capable of doing, you'll convert.

I'm now streaming to ...er... at least 10 NowTVs (not all at once... yet).

Thanks to pheonixsingh

DejaVu (5th March 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I used a Channel called PlexTools to convert all my TV Shows into MP4. Kept all my MKV/DTS files intact and getting the settings pitched perfect has me sold to Plex.
    You seem to come across all the funky tools for Plex. Any more I should know of. PlexWatch, PlexNotify and now PlexTools.

Does it bulk process the files and also replace the files in your library or is it not that clever? I have a few AVIs left I want rid of.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pheonixsingh View Post
    Also realised you can share your library with mates, a friend tried my library on his laptop and it worked a treat, I can only manage 2 concurrent streams atm, thought I would be able to get 3 streams tbh
    *cough* VIP *cough*
    Some settings look stupid if you change them, but to give you a quick clue...
    Streaming HD doesn't really mean 'Streaming in HD'. It's a bitrate conversion more than an actual science.
    If you want to stream to a mate... or in my case, my record so far is 12 streams at once on BT Infinity...
    Check these out - http://imgur.com/a/z9kb5 (More Buffer less speed).

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    You seem to come across all the funky tools for Plex. Any more I should know of. PlexWatch, PlexNotify and now PlexTools.

Does it bulk process the files and also replace the files in your library or is it not that clever? I have a few AVIs left I want rid of.
    I do like to mess with something I find new.
    PlexTools + Bulk = yes, but I noticed it needs babysitting. It can fall over quite a bit and files need checking afterwards. Not all, just the one it falls over on.

It drills through the Media Tree asking at the bottom of each selection if you wanna do the lot.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 5th March 2014 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi

over the past few days i have setup plex like this

my laptop (used as a server ) 3tb of movies and tv shows all wired in on the home network running plex media server

playstation 3 in two other rooms used for watching

2 now tv boxes in other rooms used for watching

various tablets including ipad and two android devices

the ipad can use vlc for free and play everything off the server fine

had a quick play with vlc on android and couldnt find the server ?

is there a better option or should i just pay up for the proper plex clients?

i used all the plugins with xbmc that allowed me to run all live sports and movies , can i do something similar with plex?

i notice you guys are also streaming over the net , is this easy to setup?

really happy with my setup and its giving me the chance to start watching some tv shows like breaking bad and game of thrones for the first time :-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

To get it working over the internet all you need to do is login with your Plex account on an external device and away you go. Really simple to get it working.

Thanks to liveseytowers

emu (7th March 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Need to link the same account on the server in the settings if you haven't already. May also need a bit of port forwarding in the router too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks to DejaVu

emu (7th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

internet streaming sorted :-)

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lets bring this back to life. NowTV's Suck.

The reason I say this is because the trasnscoding required really kicks the shit out of my extremely powerful server when it serves to that shitty little white box (and the just as shit new black one).

FireHD Sticks are now the new thing and support everything thrown at it. DONT waste you cash thinking NowTV's are cheap. They really are and not worth the hassle. The interface is crap at best too.

My AFTM is FireTV Stick
    Roku 4200 is Black NowTV
    Untitled.png
    Last edited by DejaVu; 29th July 2016 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Isn't the fire stick 720p and only 1080i?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think they are to be fair, but transcoding wise, they are far better a receiving from Plex than the NowTV's.
    FireHD TV's are better at 1080p. But NowTV's are shocking for their support of almost everything.

I don't quite know what it has to transcode, but does for practically everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12