Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Soon Changed Their Mind. Buyer Wanted Refund...

I sold an xbox game last week. I make sure all the games are resurfaced if there's any scratches on them and also test them on my nephews console before sending them out. I send most free p&p too.

Anyway just had this message from a user:

"I bought this game for my boyfriend he has had it 3 days and it crashee at first now it work at all I am very very very annoyed your description said very good condition! I would like my money back!"

I replied saying all my items are tested before they are sold and that if it's crashing after 3 days then maybe something went wrong in those 3 days. I said if you knock the xbox whilst a disc is in and its on it will cause the "laser burn" ring. I told her she is more than welcome to send it back but I take pictures of all my discs beforehand to compare if any are returned (e.g. more scratches).

She then replied with:

"my boyfriend said when he recieved the game it had scratches and ring on the disc. that is what I meant it is neither mine or your fault if its got damaged in the post"

Which is totally bullshit I wouldn't sell a game with the ring scratched onto the disc so it's clear they've done it themselves and wanted to blame me. When I told her I took pictures beforehand she then suggested it may have been damaged in the post. As we all know the "laser burn" ring is only done when the xbox is knocked. Anyway after a few more messages back and forth with me repeatedly telling her that i'll give her a full refund if she returns the game and if it's in the same condition as before. She then said her boyfriend said he'll keep the game.

Just goes to show what people are like.

Thanks to dannyboy

BigBird (21st January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Soon Changed Their Mind. Buyer Wanted Refund...

It's a sad world we live in.

Too many liars trying it on all the time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Chances are hes fucked his own disc up wanted yours to swap it with, good on you nice result.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

2 Thanks given to consoles

dannyboy (23rd January 2014),  littlebilly1 (20th January 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I sell most of my stuff on car boot sales now, exactly because of idiots like this, i might not get as much as i would on Ebay but not having to deal with these liars is worth it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hear it mate, but it's the way Ebay is going sadly. I sold a laptop other day locally and it went for at least £40 less than it was worth, but the cash on collection and everyone's happy with the deal was a better alternative imo to chancers and twats on ebay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought dyson (refurbished) on ebay the other week and when it turned up 2 came (in diff boxes) anyway about a week later I got a message from the matey saying he thinks he sent me 2 by mistake, so I said you can organise a courier and pick it up anytime. When he got it back he accused me of sending back the wrong dyson as in it being a faulty one I had put in place of the one he accidentally sent me. Cheeky Bast@rd!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Buyers need protecting from unscrupulous sellers but it seems that the Ebay protection policy may now be biased too much in favour of the buyer. It annoys me that a buyer can leave me bad feedback but I can't leave bad feedback for the buyer even if he has pulled a stunt like the one in dannyboy's post. On the other hand akimba could leave bad feedback for the seller for accusing him of swapping the item he sent back for a faulty one and the seller could then leave bad feedback for akimba out of spite. even though akimba has done nothing wrong. Where do you draw the balance. There is only so much time they can spend on resolving disputes and much of the time its one persons word against the other.

I suppose a seller with a few hundred good feedback is not affected by a dozen or so bad feedback. there is always going to be a small percentage of unhappy customers. If the percentage is low then it is usually down to a few mistakes rather than a dodgy seller. It is very important that you can leave bad feedback for a dodgy seller. If a seller can't leave bad feedback for a buyer at least he has the option not to leave any good feedback.

There are some seemingly stupid decisions. Like a case posted here a while ago. A mobile phone was advertised as non working and spares and repair only. The buyer then complained that the phone he bought wasn't working. Ebay came down on the buyers side even though they had the original listing as evidence that the phone was sold as spares and repair. Not saying the following is true of the case posted here a while ago but there are sellers that will sell an item as spares or repair when the damage is so extensive that there is no hope of any repair or using as spares. If I spent say £30 on an item for spares or repair but found out that there was no possibility of using the item for repair or spare parts I would also be expecting a refund. Again it is usually down to one persons word against the other whether the item is as described. Ebay can not be expected to check every item before its posted and also again when it arrives and unopened, and again when the buyer wants to return it.

If you are selling, then keeping a photo record of its condition before posting and the packaging used (to prove it was packed properly) is the best way. Also make sure that the description is comprehensive and complete. That way Ebay can make a better informed decision. Not sure if they will interested or have the resource to look at any evidence you provide though. Again it's no guarantee anyway because it may be a substituted item in the photo and if the buyer and the seller have two totally different images of the packaging, who are Ebay supposed to believe. I suppose the buyer could take a photo of a badly packaged and damaged item while the postman is still holding the package, but what if the postman's his mate and is in on it. It's a nightmare for anyone to try and sort out. Wrong decisions are bound to be made.

I get annoyed with Ebay sometimes but putting myself in their position I wonder if any of us be able to do any better when it comes to resolving disputes. We wouldn't have a persons body language to rely on as they do in a court of law. Most of the time it would be one persons word against the other. Not sure I could do it any better. Just have to accept that there are dodgy buyers and sellers everywhere and do our best to deal with them when we need to.

Good on dannyboy. He did everything right and got a good result. High five for the good guys. (">

Thanks to BigBird

dannyboy (23rd January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Checked my ebay today, and on the 17th Jan the buyer left: Quick delivery, brilliant condition

lol in the messages the cheeky bitch said it was scratched when she got it and had the "laser burn" ring on the disc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Checked my ebay today, and on the 17th Jan the buyer left: Quick delivery, brilliant condition

lol in the messages the cheeky bitch said it was scratched when she got it and had the "laser burn" ring on the disc
    lol, Stupid cow. She adds weight to the campaign for compulsory sterilization. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had something similar with a box of lego i sold. It was brand new and bought from lego themselves and the buyer said it had been already opened, figures nicked and resealed. As soon as i said i bought it direct from lego and not from a shop the buyer backed down and gave me great feedback.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I sold some stuff a while back and got an e-mail from the buyer saying I hadn't included everything and that none of it was in the condition described. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing he said "just give me a refund you twat". I simply pointed out that I still have his address and can be there in twenty minutes and he said he'll just keep the stuff "this time!".
    Maybe not the right way to do it, but effective!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Theres an amazing number of chancers aka dickheads that appear to try this on. I sold an X-cam many years ago and had a similar issue. After a week the cam was faulty, then the next message was he bough it for his mate, of course he had his own. I asked him was he abler to upgrade such a "sensitive" piece of equipment? This pissed him off and he stated a query with paypal.
    So I mailed him and said so, you have your own cam and this was one you bought for a mate and you program it for him. He answered yes in all cases.
    So I said ok send it back to me as my supplier marks all cams externally and internally and "watermarks" the initial bootloader LOL
    Of course he folded and I think had already left positive feedback